cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed payments making my life miserable yet again.

So yet another complaint about the awful implementation of managed Payments:

I'm a small seller and had a buyer request a return on a highish ($1k) value item yesterday, due to the fact that it apparently stopped working about a week after he purchased it. OK, unfortunate, but it comes with the territory of being an eBay seller, and I have no reason to think it's a false return. So far, so good.

So eBay, puts a hold on $1k in funds from my payouts. I mostly sell a few items a week in the $50-$200 range and ship within a day, so the amount of cash in my pending payouts is typically well below $1k, so now I am in negative territory by several hundred dollars.

In the meantime, I receive four smaller orders. I can't buy labels from my now-negative pending payouts balance, so I attempt to use Paypal to pay for them through the shipping page. The payment fails with an ambiguous error message. I check my Paypal settings on-site and on Paypal.com, and everything is correct and logged in, so I contact CS for a callback. Eventually "Ed" calls me back and walks me through a number of steps, including trying different browsers, updating my Paypal account information, etc., to no avail. Eventually "Ed" lets slip "well, there's an issue with the payment agreement between Paypal and eBay."

Now whether he means this is something company-wide, or is trying to poorly explain an issue that only affects my account, I don't know. But the long and the short of it is that eBay is actively interfering with my ability to ship items sold on their own site in a timely manner, potentially affecting my seller rating and ticking off both me and my customers!

When Paypal was still managing my payments, I could instantly add funds to my account from my bank if I had a shortfall (did I mention that despite having a linked bank account, eBay won't let me do this or even pay for labels from this account?).  Further, since I was an established seller with a good track record of processing returns, they would not put holds on my funds if a case were opened.

All that has gone away with managed payments. Instead, I am treated like an untrustworthy criminal and my funds frozen any time a return is opened! It's insulting.

In the end, I had to laboriously buy labels off-site at a higher price and manually add each tracking number. So to add injury to insult, between processing the labels and waiting with the rep, I got to waste an hour and a half of my Saturday morning on a process that should have taken less than 5 minutes.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Managed payments making my life miserable yet again.

Same here.   Credit card funded is the only type that has any protections and I earn cash pack on the CC transactions.  Win/Win. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

if you change the settings in MP to pay for shipping labels to your PP account...and set your PP account funding preference to Credit card....it will all work automatically. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

if you change the settings in MP to pay for shipping labels to your PP account...and set your PP account funding preference to Credit card....it will all work automatically. 

That's what I do *if* I decide I have to purchase the label through eBay and my funds have already been sent. Basically, that's all I use Paypal for - a payment gateway for CC or bank account.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

You do realize that the return policy is not to be used as a warranty policy, right?

//

Fraudulent or abusive buyer behavior

Buyers will not be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee if they make fraudulent claims or engage in activity as described in the Abusive buyer policy. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Colluding with a seller to wrongly declare an item's value for customs
  • Filing a chargeback after receiving a refund
  • Claiming an item was not received when there is proof of delivery to the address provided on the Order details page
  • Falsely claiming an item was not as described
  • Opening duplicate cases using other buyer protection programs
  • Returning an item other than the original item received
  • Using or damaging an item and then returning it

In addition to the consequences described in the User Agreement, we reserve the right to indefinitely suspend an individual's coverage under eBay Money Back Guarantee and impose any other sanctions we may deem necessary including issuing warnings, blocking a buyer's ability to request returns or refunds on eBay and account suspension.

Other terms and related policies

• We may provide buyers and sellers with access to each other's contact information in accordance with our User Privacy Notice
  • eBay Money Back Guarantee is not a product warranty
  • For items shipped through the Global Shipping Program, the program's terms and conditions for buyers describe how members are protected by eBay Money Back Guarantee
  • In certain situations, eBay may open a case on behalf of a user and decide the outcome immediately. For example, if a seller is suspended for fraudulent activity, we may automatically open a case and issue a refund to the buyer
  • We reserve the right to fix any processing errors we discover by debiting or crediting the payment method used for the incorrect refund or reimbursement
  • Buyers and sellers permit us to make final decisions about all cases, including appeals//

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

I guess what I am trying to say is that.... if someone uses something (for a week) and returns it after breaking it.... you have every right to only return 50% of the purchase price.  IF you do that, and you quote that information above when it gets escalated to eBay, eBay WILL protect the seller, under their seller protection program, and the buyer may throw a temper tantrum, and eBay may refund the rest of the money to the buyer, but eBay will pay for it (not you).... and they will remove any negative feedback left on your account.   This has actually happened to me.  🙂

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

One can always go to a post office to ship something...

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@silvervintagephoto 

This can happen if you have your PP account selected to fund the shipping label and your PP account is set up to take the money from your PP funds and there are no funds in your PP account.

Your PP account can be set up to do shipping from your PP funds, pull from your checking account or put on your credit card.  Check how you have your PP account set up to do shipping.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 21
latest reply