cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments

Managed Payments is horrible.  It takes too long to get your money when compared to the old way.  No mystery.  eBay is stealing your "float".  How does a hobbyist get out of this nightmare.  I'm not trying to "build a business".  I don't do anywhere near $20,000 per year in sales.  In fact, I don't even do half of that.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Managed Payments

The $20,000 is a threshold for receiving 1099Ks for tax purposes.  But that isn't a threshold for when you have to claim your sales here as income on your tax reports.  Every transaction on Ebay is a business transaction and it needs to be represented on your income tax reported to the IRS every year.

MP has sellers in it from all walks of life and all kinds of sizes as Ebay is set up like this too.  

MP does not function like PP, nor is it likely to even in the future.  So that is now behind us and we must move forward with MP if we want to sell on this site.  

In MP you have a choice of Daily Deposits [poorly labeled] or weekly deposits [on Tuesdays].  MP processes and transfers ONLY on Business days.  It takes them approximately 1-2 business days to process a pending payment and then your Available transfer is done on the next available business day or on the next Tuesday depending on what type of deposit you have your account set up for.

I know this process can and is very difficult on some sellers that operate on a zero cash flow.  At this time it is how the program functions and it is what we all have to deal with.  Hopefully sooner rather than later the MP process will see some improvements.  But for now this is what we have to deal with and I'm very sorry this is having such a negative impact on you.  I hope that eases VERY soon.  😍

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@slathome48 wrote:

How does a hobbyist get out of this nightmare.

The only way to get out is to quit selling.

It doesn't matter if we are a hobbyist or a business, we'll all be in it soon.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm afraid that if you want to continue to sell on eBay, you have to use their MP system. It will kill off a lot of small and part-time sellers that don't want the hassle of setting up a new checking account and then waiting days for  payouts. Of course eBay has been trying to get rid of the little guys for years. They seem to forget that these little guys buy here too. With many, the money they get selling here is turned around and spent here too.

Oh, well, I'll stay until they figure out how to hook the "Restricted Items" sellers, then I'll be done.

@rebell45 wrote:

I'm afraid that if you want to continue to sell on eBay, you have to use their MP system. It will kill off a lot of small and part-time sellers that don't want the hassle of setting up a new checking account and then waiting days for  payouts. Of course eBay has been trying to get rid of the little guys for years. They seem to forget that these little guys buy here too. With many, the money they get selling here is turned around and spent here too.

Oh, well, I'll stay until they figure out how to hook the "Restricted Items" sellers, then I'll be done.

Well that can and is likely for other reasons.  I agree that some casual sellers and even some small sellers may truly hate this change into MP but not because of what some are complaining about on the threads, but because they don't want their money going into a bank account.  It is easier for hide this income from IRS in a PP account.  And that likely has a great deal to do with some of these objections to being forced to use a bank account.

So it is highly likely that some of these objections to the process are not quite truthful or complete.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Managed payments is awful, I may be gone.  We have over 10,000 sales. Ebay is a failing  Pal-Pal wannabe. They have removed the dispute resolution center, and anything like a process. They go straight to seizure.  I had one customer who lost his club and reordered, found out his friend had the club he lost, the buyer contact me to see if he could exchange his new one for a different loft. My answer was sure ebay FUNDS SEIZED.  Another who ordered a 2 club set, thought they ordered 3 clubs. I pointed out that the customer received what they ordered and paid for. FUNDS SEIZED, I have not seen any of the over $200.00. They treat everything like a return. If it is not returned you are screwed.  They force the return, there is no mechanism to get paid by working this out with customer.  They see your buyer as their customer and the screw up like the incompetents that they are. They are not Amazon, they do not understand customer service, never have. These fools think the buyer is their customer. They say they will call you in 1 min -12 min. The call comes between 12 hours and never.  These forums are preaching to the choir. They do not care,  unless you take it to the stock market writers. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

My question is:  PayPal was the one receiving the money first. So, does that mean if I got close to the $20,000 on PayPal, will it start over with Ebay Managed Payments?  I cannot go over the $20,000 threshold and I'm $1,400 away from it currently.  Does this mean I can list freely now, get paid with managed payments and start over at $0 with managed payments?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@fun-snowbunny wrote:

My question is:  PayPal was the one receiving the money first. So, does that mean if I got close to the $20,000 on PayPal, will it start over with Ebay Managed Payments?  I cannot go over the $20,000 threshold and I'm $1,400 away from it currently.  Does this mean I can list freely now, get paid with managed payments and start over at $0 with managed payments?

The short answer is YES.  They are two separate companies, so they are responsible to reporting to the IRS separately.  MP will report for the money they process and PP will report for the money they process.  None of it will be comingled.  

Listing freely, well yes as you  have always been able to do.  But if you are only reporting your income from internet sales when you receive a 1099K, that would be incorrect.  You are responsible for reporting ALL your income from internet sales whether you earn $500 or $50,000.

Keep in mind if you are pulling Social Security or some other form of state or federal income, you are still responsible for claiming ALL your internet sales income less expenses.  If you haven't been doing that, that is wrong and you are risking getting in trouble for that.  It is your responsibility to report your income accurately.

@fun-snowbunny 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Than you very much for the information.  And it's a no on Social Security. I'm many years away from that.

Thanks for your reply!  Very helpful!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@fun-snowbunny wrote:

Than you very much for the information.  And it's a no on Social Security. I'm many years away from that.

Thanks for your reply!  Very helpful!

Just make sure you understand that because you may not qualify for a 1099K does not relieve you of the legal responsibility to report your income.  IRS no longer has a minimum threshold for this.  So track your sales and your expenses so you can properly file your income taxes.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

eBay "upgraded" me to what they call "Managed Payments". lol. I sold a putter for over $100 on Sunday night, Monday they "processed", Tuesday they "processed"(stole my float), and I got an email today, Wednesday, that they sent my money to my bank. That will hit tomorrow, Thursday, and remain "pending" in my Bank account. Friday the money is "hard" in my account, and I have access to it. Prior to this "upgrade", a buyer paid using PayPal, and I immediately moved the money to my bank account. And, eBay is charging me more!! Bye eBay!!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@slathome48 wrote:

eBay "upgraded" me to what they call "Managed Payments". lol. I sold a putter for over $100 on Sunday night, Monday they "processed", Tuesday they "processed"(stole my float), and I got an email today, Wednesday, that they sent my money to my bank. That will hit tomorrow, Thursday, and remain "pending" in my Bank account. Friday the money is "hard" in my account, and I have access to it. Prior to this "upgrade", a buyer paid using PayPal, and I immediately moved the money to my bank account. And, eBay is charging me more!! Bye eBay!!

You started this thread back in October (five months ago), saying that MP was "horrible", and asking how you could "get out of this nightmare". Did you forget? You dealt with it for 5 months, but selling a putter for $100 pushed you over the edge?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply