cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments, checking account authorization, in only or in and out?

I have a bunch of questions but this one might be a deal breaker.  

If I  enroll in MP, I understand that I am authorizing ebay to deposit the net proceeds of a sale into my checking account.  Am I also authorizing ebay to automatically reverse it or take it out of my checking account without my one off consent for each occurrence in disputes where ebay rules in favor of the buyer? 

I called ebay Managed Payments support and didn't get a definitive yes or no answer.

Of course I would like it to be a one way authorization.  I don't have a problem with ebay putting money in my account.  I want full control of the outflows though. 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Managed Payments, checking account authorization, in only or in and out?

@va-8501 wrote:

What monthly seller invoice? 

Am I missing something that I would be invoiced for under Managed Payments?

The ebay  "Learn More" page says this about Managed Payments:

"Simpler fees - Your ebay selling fees and expenses will be automatically deducted from your earnings before you get paid.  No more separate monthly fee payments."

The same invoice system they used BEFORE going into MP.  If you are a seller you should be very familiar with the Seller Invoice.

In MP the ONLY fee being deduct at the time of payment is the FVF on the transactions.  All other fees you may have to include store fees, listing upgrades, some shipping types, promo fees, etc will still be billed on the sellers Monthly Invoice.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

...............general reply..........

my ebay fees are billed right to my card. I started MP about 14 days ago and its smooth but I already had money taken from my checking account.this was a 1st for me

I had 2 returns in 2 days and then I had to cancel on a buyer for bad address after they had paid.

looked in my checking account a couple days later  and it was 30 cents short..went in an looked at the MP records and it said 30 cent cancel fee

not sure exactly what I agreed to but I never had paypal take money from my bank.I guess they wanted that 30 cents and did not want to wait for another payment to come in

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I am confused. I am in managed payments & was looking at my sale. I made 1000 dollars last month & ebay took 500. Is that right?

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@oldcobweb1 wrote:

I am confused. I am in managed payments & was looking at my sale. I made 1000 dollars last month & ebay took 500. Is that right?

IDK.  Certainly that would not be your FVFs they charge.  Did you have your shipping come out of your MP account?  It appears that you ship some stuff that has pretty spending shipping costs.

You can see all the details in the Seller Hub, Payment Tab, then Transaction details on the left side of your screen.  You can view it there or go to Reports on the left side of the Payments Tab and download the report.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

"The same invoice system they used BEFORE going into MP.  If you are a seller you should be very                             familiar with the Seller Invoice."

Thanks for the reply, Yes I am familiar with the monthly invoice, but at it's simplest level.  I've been selling on ebay for 20 years.  Never had a store, never do any listing upgrades, etc.  So the only thing I have ever been invoiced for is FVF and 30 cent listing fees before they started giving me more monthly free listings than I use.

So now I understand why I will still be required to have a payment source.  I think I would just use the same checking account that will be used to enroll in MP.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@va-8501 wrote:

@mam98031wrote:

"The same invoice system they used BEFORE going into MP.  If you are a seller you should be very                             familiar with the Seller Invoice."

Thanks for the reply, Yes I am familiar with the monthly invoice, but at it's simplest level.  I've been selling on ebay for 20 years.  Never had a store, never do any listing upgrades, etc.  So the only thing I have ever been invoiced for is FVF and 30 cent listing fees before they started giving me more monthly free listings than I use.

So now I understand why I will still be required to have a payment source.  I think I would just use the same checking account that will be used to enroll in MP.

If you have any listing fees, those will be billed monthly.

Your FVFs will be deducted at the time the buyer purchases and pays.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@1tuna  wrote:

"my ebay fees are billed right to my card. I started MP about 14 days ago and its smooth but I already had money taken from my checking account.this was a 1st for me"

That's a concern.  Based on some other replies (messages #3 and #4 above) I was under the impression that anytime there is a need to refund a payment, the seller would be notified by ebay and would trigger the refund themself. 

Automatic debits out of my control could certainly result in insufficient funds situations.  I had planned to open a separate checking account just for ebay MP inflows, then transferring it out ASAP.  My sales volume is low, so that checking account would most likely have a $0 balance at any given time. I would use the same checking account as the source for monthly ebay fee invoice.  Since I don't have a store, and don't do any listing upgrades my monthly invoice should always be $0.

Does ebay require an alternate funding source in addition to a checking account for MP enrollment? 

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@va-8501 wrote:

@1tuna  wrote:

"my ebay fees are billed right to my card. I started MP about 14 days ago and its smooth but I already had money taken from my checking account.this was a 1st for me"

That's a concern.  Based on some other replies (messages #3 and #4 above) I was under the impression that anytime there is a need to refund a payment, the seller would be notified by ebay and would trigger the refund themself. 

Automatic debits out of my control could certainly result in insufficient funds situations.  I had planned to open a separate checking account just for ebay MP inflows, then transferring it out ASAP.  My sales volume is low, so that checking account would most likely have a $0 balance at any given time. I would use the same checking account as the source for monthly ebay fee invoice.  Since I don't have a store, and don't do any listing upgrades my monthly invoice should always be $0.

Does ebay require an alternate funding source in addition to a checking account for MP enrollment? 

@1tuna  is still trying to get use to the process and isn't clearly articulating what is transpiring.

Once you are in MP, FVFs are NOT billed to your Monthly seller invoice anymore and it is certainly NOT billed to a CC on file.  When you become active in MP the FVFs owed on the transaction are taken from the money you get in from your buyer for that transaction BEFORE the money is transferred to your bank account.

Once you are in MP you will be able to see all of this in the Seller Hub, Payment Tab, then on the left side of your screen, Detailed Transactions.

Keep in mind there is a Difference between "need to refund a payment" and funding your MP account because a refund as over drawn it.  The two aren't necessarily the same thing.  There may be times that you do need to refund a buyer and you have enough money in your MP account, so there is no need to do any additional funding.

When eBay issues a refund to your buyer on your behalf, the amount will be recouped from the total of your Available and Pending funds. If you don’t have enough funds to cover the cost of the refund, your Available funds will show as a negative balance and your future orders will be used to recoup the balance.

If the total of your Available and Pending funds are insufficient to cover the outstanding amounts you owe, eBay will charge your on-file payment method within 14 days to recoup the full amount. We may add up the amounts you owe into a single charge. All the details related to these charges will be visible on your financial statement.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/refunding-buyers-as-a-managed-payments-se...

You can have a back up funding source.  You will see it when you become active in MP.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply