cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

I've avoided registering for Management Payments, and I likely will be completely leaving E-bay due to this requirement unless E-bay reverses course on this requirement.

There is no legitimate reason for them to have my date of birth and social security number. They state it's per government regulations, but if that were true I'd of had to of given it to PayPal which I have not. 

eBay please revert to allowing us to user PayPal for all processing going forward and stop asking us to expose information you do not need. It is a personal security risk I am not willing to take.

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

FeeBay cut off their contract with PayPal. This is the main reason we are no longer going to be selling with eBay. It is a violation of our privacy and wonder how soon their site has a data breach. Hopefully, eBay will feel it where it hurts from sellers dropping like flies.

Message 61 of 85
latest reply

Re: Managed Payments Registration Requiring DOB and SSN!? - Reason to Stop Selling on Ebay

@Anonymous wrote:

Well we are just Hobby Buyers , We joined for fun years ago , just to buy and then started selling a few things we no longer needed and buy things we wanted,  We have always been More of a Buyer then a Seller.  This was for Fun .. It is no longer fun, I am not a store, or a company, Or a dealer,  We are just a couple of collectors who sell from time to time........... I have never had a store here or even use Seller hub , We are not a business  and never will be!  And as far as Signing up for MP . I do not need Ebay to manage my payments, I am more of a Buyer and Paypal works just fine for us, we will stick with them!

Then you'll be fine because as you know, buyers can still use PP.  

In looking at your account, you do a fair amount of selling.  So if you aren't going to sell those items here anymore, what are your plans to move those items you want to get rid of?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 85
latest reply

@santafevintage wrote:

FeeBay cut off their contract with PayPal. This is the main reason we are no longer going to be selling with eBay. It is a violation of our privacy and wonder how soon their site has a data breach. Hopefully, eBay will feel it where it hurts from sellers dropping like flies.

For every seller that leaves, there will be new ones to replace them.

Have a great day
Message 63 of 85
latest reply

@santafevintage wrote:

No they did not.  First off the contract between Ebay and PP that was as of the result of Ebay spinning PP off, ended in June of 2020.  That contract had restrictions on Ebay and some restrictions on PP.  Now neither site has any restrictions on them, so Ebay can move forward with MP and PP is free to sell there services to anyone they choose.  This would NOT have been a contract to be renegotiated or extended.

Ebay and PP are in the middle of a 5 year contract which ensures that PP will provide services for both buyers and sellers.  A 5 year term is pretty normal stuff.  This contract ends in 2023.  We will have to wait and see if they renegotiate the contract and what that might look like when we get closer to this contract expiring.  And that is pretty standard procedures.

So you are misinformed about Ebay and the contract still in force with PP.

Ebay has been here for 25 years.  Odd that some think that suddenly Ebay is going to drop their security because of MP and just let us all be targets.  That isn't even logical.  And FYI Ebay and PP's security is very much alike since Ebay use to own PP.

Message 64 of 85
latest reply

By the way how do I access now ebay's transaction data from a backend service?

Because ebay's api is not designed for it, while it was a set and forget it process through paypal.

Ebay has a user interactive process for getting an access code before getting the token to access the transactions data.

Regards,

Orlando

Message 65 of 85
latest reply

At least an alternative to the interactive consent part should have been considered before taking down paypal and leaving customer's systems without access to their data, or developers on the hook to implement an ugly interactive fix to get over this.

Message 66 of 85
latest reply

@autocro 

By the way how do I access now ebay's transaction data from a backend service?

I'd be happy to help but I don't know what this means.  What is a "backend service"?  Transaction data for MP is shown in the Seller Hub under the Payments tab.  Is that what you are looking for?  There are various reports and screens that are very helpful under this tab.

Because ebay's api is not designed for it, while it was a set and forget it process through paypal.

Isn't designed for WHAT?  What is a "set and forget it process through PP"?

Ebay has a user interactive process for getting an access code before getting the token to access the transactions data.

This is Ebay's site.  Why do they need anything special to access transactional data?

Message 67 of 85
latest reply

Reluctantly, I've reached the same decision. I've bee selling and buying on eBay for many years, but I'm not bout to expose my bank account access when eBay hasn't really addressed how they would keep it secure. One clever hacker potentially could have unlimited acces to numerous checking accounts. In an age rampant with identity theft, this is the wrong move at the wrong time. I still don't know where I will be able to market the things commonly traded on eBay, but the obvious security risk is too great.

Message 68 of 85
latest reply

@azshelfelf wrote:

Reluctantly, I've reached the same decision. I've bee selling and buying on eBay for many years, but I'm not bout to expose my bank account access when eBay hasn't really addressed how they would keep it secure. One clever hacker potentially could have unlimited acces to numerous checking accounts. In an age rampant with identity theft, this is the wrong move at the wrong time. I still don't know where I will be able to market the things commonly traded on eBay, but the obvious security risk is too great.

@azshelfelf 

Yes they have.  Have you researched this or did you assume they have been silent?

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html

If you are expecting them to give you detailed information about how they secure our information, you will be disappointed to be sure.  However it wouldn't be smart on their part to publish that kind of info as it would likely make it far easier for hackers to hack.  Therefore Ebay can't get into the details of security.

Ebay is 25 years old and has always had some financial info on sellers safe and secure.  How old does the site need to be before you are comfortable with security?

All internet sites are at risk for hacking all the time.  Not just Ebay, but every site.  So it is always good to be cautious. 

Message 69 of 85
latest reply

My last item completed on Ebay via the original PayPal route. In protest of eBay requiring my SSN to continue selling I've decided to let my last invoice go un-paid and removed the eBay Authorization to charge my PayPal account. Maybe a lack of payment will get their attention and make them reconsider their policies, however unlikely. Good luck to all that remain.

Message 70 of 85
latest reply

MP is in and PP is out - so your plan is flawed and more likely they will just put the unpaid amount into the hands of debt collectors and that will stuff your credit rating.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 71 of 85
latest reply

Message 72 of 85
latest reply

I wish Managed Payments was the only concern to have - there are so many issues, problems and concerns with Ebay - it's really hard to come up with enough positive reasons to stay here to make it worth it.

They are untrustworthy, never accept blame for their endless mistakes and do not care about the sellers . . . yet they ask us to allow them to control our money/payments (like asking a thief to guard your house)

+ very little customer service and the very little there is happens to be really terrible!  another reason so many are comfortable trusting them with our money

Ebay: they lie. they steal. they manipulate.  they allow buyers to steal. they allow scammers to scam.

and they ask us to lower our prices while they raise all the fees and then demand that sellers use the Bank-o-Ebay.   hmmm.

why does anyone question or wonder why so many people are concerned?!! seriously. 

Message 73 of 85
latest reply

@startingkeller wrote:

My last item completed on Ebay via the original PayPal route. In protest of eBay requiring my SSN to continue selling I've decided to let my last invoice go un-paid and removed the eBay Authorization to charge my PayPal account. Maybe a lack of payment will get their attention and make them reconsider their policies, however unlikely. Good luck to all that remain.

LOL  Really, you think that is a good plan that you would endorse for others to follow in your shoes??  You do realize that at some point it will affect your credit rating when Ebay reports to the various credit reporting services right??  The only one you will be teaching a lesson to is yourself.

FYI, Mp does NOT require your full SSN, they only require your last 4 digits.  So what you are upset about isn't even an issue.

@startingkeller 

Message 74 of 85
latest reply

Credit scores are tied to SSN and can't be affected if eBay doesn't have your SSN. 

Message 75 of 85
latest reply