cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payment systems a nightmare at Ebay the Last Straw!

I am a 20 year Ebay seller. The newest Ebay rules as a seller forced on to you is Ebay's Managed Payments has lead me to wind down selling on Ebay. They forced you to drop Paypal & Ebay uses your money & holds it hostage in their New Managed Payments system many ways!  One way is while they check your banking info out then they hold your funds & go after payments for  Ebay billing with your Credit card as their backup for their payment protections...while they spend not days but weeks working out your banking handshake issues with their wonderful problem filled Managed Payments system! I never had the same long waits to work out any banking issues with Paypal over all the time I spent with them!

Hopefully 1000's of customers like myself are leaving Ebay & they may get it, but I don't think they care. Ebay Owns the ballgame totally 100% they are the officials, they jury, they are the judges, they field the players & everything else & you work for them !  The new rules are forced on you or you leave their game & account will be cancelled. Ebay has no respect for long term customers like myself basically has driven me away. No Ebay phone into number now to solve your issues with this nightmare of managed payment systems either. They call you back when they want to.  I have had same phone number I used for 10 years did not receive their calls to help me due they say my phone number is no good Ebay could not reach you so they cannot help you!! Then you are reduced to chat help which has canned answer's by all the newly trained Ebay staff.  No help for me, I'm still waiting on Ebay's already cleared funds over 1K to hit my bank account & still nothing while Ebay is constantly are verifying it or finds more reasons to hold my money on closed sales & payments from customers.  No choice so I Cancelled all 200 of my current auctions since I cannot sell items any more & lose money while Ebay holds funds on to if ever till they get around verify my bank account to their level of total ineptness! Plenty of other sites to sell on.  

Message 1 of 121
latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

Re: Managed Payment systems a nightmare at Ebay the Last Straw!

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Love is a many-splendored thing.

Message 46 of 121
latest reply

@veronicabooksandart wrote:

I proposed a 2-3 point fee increase over MP as incentive to renegotiate the contract with Paypal.

In this way:

No onboarding issues.
Payment is immediate - no payouts.
Sellers remain sellers (buyer pays seller).
Business reporting denotes seller.
Paypal protects the seller.
Paypal provides useful accounting reports.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But yes, love for MP, pretended by its most ardent defenders, would turn on just how many jump ship.

To ask you questions about what you post is NOT to "defend" MP.  That is simply silly.  I ask because what you stated leaves me with a question or it simply doesn't make sense, depending on your comment.

Since PP charges 2.9% processing fee, it would be highly unlikely that Ebay could negotiate PP paying Ebay to be the money processor by giving them 2-3 % for the privilege.  

Sadly Ebay is not going to go back to PP.  So it is just wishful thinking to imagine they would.  

The fact is that PP is the unicorn here NOT Ebay or MP.  MP function very much like the money processing programs on all the other similar sites.  And the fact is that Ebay is the last of the bigger sites to adopt their own money processing program.

Sellers that have been selling on multiple sites are very use to what MP has to offer, so it isn't that much of a transition for many sellers.  However MP is a dramatic and problematic change for casual sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 47 of 121
latest reply

I understand.  Ebay is holding $ 299 for a return.  I've sold over $ 200 since then but I still have to buy my shipping labels through Paypal because that money is 'in process' and someone not able to be used.

If this was the only thing standing between eBay and a planned suicide-I'd be dead.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 48 of 121
latest reply

The only way that won't happen is if you never turn around.

A would never assume eBay is on my side.  They have proved so often not to be.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 49 of 121
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's quit this bullschtein right now, y'all. The last thing we need is to work hard and get no money and eBay, FOR SOME DAFT REASON, won't help. Or is it that ALL THE BUYERS HAVE LEFT! Seriously, this c++p is getting old. Oh, and eBay, IF Y'ALL READ THIS AND DECIDE TO RESTRICT MY ACCOUNT, GO AHEAD. AIN'T SELLING ANYTHING NOW ANYWAY, SO IT'S LIKE BEING RESTRICTED. That's why I'm about done with y'all. Just like when you give us "I'm done now" after we post an item to sell. Very prophetic. Did y'all include that intentionally?

Message 50 of 121
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's quit this bullschtein right now, y'all. The last thing we need is to work hard and get no money and eBay, FOR SOME DAFT REASON, won't help. Or is it that ALL THE BUYERS HAVE LEFT! Seriously, this c++p is getting old. Oh, and eBay, IF Y'ALL READ THIS AND DECIDE TO RESTRICT MY ACCOUNT, GO AHEAD. AIN'T SELLING ANYTHING NOW ANYWAY, SO IT'S LIKE BEING RESTRICTED. That's why I'm about done with y'all. Just like when you give us "I'm done now" after we post an item to sell. Very prophetic. Did y'all include that intentionally?

@Anonymous 

Your experience isn't everyone's experience.  For many sellers the pandemic has boosted their sales by quite a bit in 2020 and 2021.  

We all go through periods of low sales.  That is a time to re-evaluate your listing structure and your pricing.  Sometimes that will help us make more sales.  

I do however wish you well in whatever you decide to do.

Message 51 of 121
latest reply

The last straw...
-------------------------------------------------------------
All that wasted sycophancy.

Message 52 of 121
latest reply

No. We'd pay an additional 2% to eBay and 1% to Paypal for the priviledge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem is that it makes perfect sense.

Message 53 of 121
latest reply

No. We'd pay an additional 2% to eBay and 1% to Paypal for the priviledge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem is that it makes perfect sense.

To you obviously it does, to others, probably not.  Unlikely PP would agree either, they are not desperate for Ebay's business. 

Who is "we'd"?  What group of sellers are you speaking for?  How many are in your group?

Message 54 of 121
latest reply

We'd is everyone who feels as I do on this issue. Judging only by density and score of profanity-laced blog titles and posts; met by boors, shills, cheerleaders and **bleep** artists, I claim discontent is significant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't pretend to believe eBay will cut a deal with Paypal. Only to suggest it would resolve all contention and be a keen business move.

Message 55 of 121
latest reply

We'd is everyone who feels as I do on this issue. Judging only by density and score of profanity-laced blog titles and posts; met by boors, shills, cheerleaders and **bleep** artists, I claim discontent is significant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't pretend to believe eBay will cut a deal with Paypal. Only to suggest it would resolve all contention and be a keen business move.

I know it is a popular thing for some to call anyone that has anything positive to say about MP a "cheerleader" when all they are doing to speaking to their experiences.  But for some reason those that disagree with them only want to call them names and not have a civil discussion.  Even those that have never actually used the program.

I think it is a pretty big stretch to believe that everyone that has complained about MP would be in support of your idea of a fee split like you have suggest.  But with that said I also don't think we need to make a big deal out of it as it is pretty unlikely it would ever happen.

FYI it would NOT be a "keen business move for PP".  They would likely be paying more to process the money that they would be getting in fees, so they would lose money on most or many of the transactions.

Message 56 of 121
latest reply

Agreed.
--------------------------------------------------
Especially now that eBay would have to become and Authorized Paypal Partner. There's an additional fee for this paid by the seller; however, Paypal is allergic to partnering with bad actors.

Still, I have to believe eBay must somehow keep its GMV up. Reports here suggest listings halved in some categories. You've been here long enough to notice most denizens that used to blog are gone.

We'll know more when they report 2Q.

Message 57 of 121
latest reply

I've been selling--and buying--on ebay for over 20 years.  I've now closed my store and as soon as my current listings (which are probably invisible as ebay admits that it does not show all listings) run out, I will follow them.

Mangled Payments are the last nail in ebay's coffin--along with the new "selling page" which is the worst mess I've seen since the last round of "updates."  

It was fun while it lasted.  

Message 58 of 121
latest reply

Uh, oh...an intelligent ebay rep...pray they don't notice and hand her her walking papers before Monday... 🙄

Message 59 of 121
latest reply

Agreed.
--------------------------------------------------
Especially now that eBay would have to become and Authorized Paypal Partner. There's an additional fee for this paid by the seller; however, Paypal is allergic to partnering with bad actors.

Still, I have to believe eBay must somehow keep its GMV up. Reports here suggest listings halved in some categories. You've been here long enough to notice most denizens that used to blog are gone.

We'll know more when they report 2Q.

Likely from some posters overstating the facts.  Much is being blamed on MP when only 10-15% of Ebay sellers are even in the program now.

Message 60 of 121
latest reply