cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I refused to accept Managed Payments and left Ebay.

23 Years ago, a friend showed me this new website called Ebay.  I was immediately hooked.  I began buying and selling within weeks. 

Back then, selling was a hassle because getting paid was a hassle.  Then came Paypal.

In my opinion, Paypal was the magic sauce that made Ebay work.  

I sold on and off for the last 23 years.  I retired, and planned on using Ebay as a source of income in my retirement.

Over the recent years, my opinion of Ebay began to decline big time.  

A couple of years ago, they instituted their GOOD TILL CANCELLED for Buy It Now listings.  I sold collectables and that policy KILLED my sales.  I tried to get the policy changed, but Ebay didn't care.  They were MANAGING my sales, and it killed me.

A couple of months ago, I was notified I was being forced into Managed Payments.  I read about the program, and didn't see any benefit for ME.  

I spoke with several dedicated Managed Payments reps, and again, there was no benefit for me as a seller.  I clearly told every rep that the day Ebay forced MP on me was the day I would leave Ebay.

I begged to postpone to a later time.  Covid19 is rampant, and now isn't the time to add insult to injury.  They didn't care.

That day was Sept. 1. 

So, as I sit here, a trusted friend I've had for 23 years is gone.  I removed all my listings, I'm no longer selling on Ebay.

Now, I understand Ebay could care less about me.  That's become obvious over the last several years.

If 10, or 100, or 1000 sellers leave, Ebay won't care.  BUT, if 10,000 or 100,000 leave, at some point, Ebay HAS to care.

I made my statement by leaving, and telling Ebay why I left.  If you feel as I do, make your own statement.  If Ebay is going to force sellers to choose MP, it should be better then Paypal.    

Message 1 of 616
latest reply
615 REPLIES 615

Re: I refused to accept Managed Payments and left Ebay.

@cybersirf wrote:

report them to the BBB and the FCC.  collecting tax alone should get them in trouble especially tax on shipping. for shame

Wut? 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 571 of 616
latest reply

more taxpayer theft by ebay, the states and the government. do you understand that?

Message 572 of 616
latest reply

@cybersirf wrote:

more taxpayer theft by ebay, the states and the government. do you understand that?

@cybersirf 

So are you suggesting that Ebay ignore these laws and risk the ramifications that will come from that?  Ebay isn't doing it because they want to, it is because they are REQUIRED to by law.  I gave you some information and there is plenty more out there on the internet if you don't believe what I've already given you.

FYI, Ebay fought AGAINST internet sales tax for YEARS.  They are likely the reason why it was delayed for so long before it finally happening. 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 573 of 616
latest reply

not sure you going to reason somebody out of a position they never reasoned themselves into to begin with.

Message 574 of 616
latest reply

@karthok.of.daolodus wrote:

not sure you going to reason somebody out of a position they never reasoned themselves into to begin with.

Short and sweet, best response I have read in a while, and very apt.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 575 of 616
latest reply

I am done with eBay over this also. I will not be posting one thing on eBay again.  I know eBay could care less but I will not even purchase an item and once all has hit my account it will be closed. 

Message 576 of 616
latest reply

I left after 22 years selling on Ebay. They don't care about sellers. They told they want to be like Amazon.Forcing 30 day returns, and managed payments. Ebay wants all the sales fee's and commission,

and doesn't care about the sellers.

Message 577 of 616
latest reply

Look back you will see a 20 year seller right behind you

Message 578 of 616
latest reply

Sellers want Ebay to listen... lets play the Reddit game.... Short the Stock.  Let them know that sellers are part of the business model too.

Message 579 of 616
latest reply

I'm in the process of ending my sales on Ebay. It's a shame really, but managed payments just adds one more layer of hassle, with ever diminishing returns. 

Message 580 of 616
latest reply

@tipsy-cat-collectibles wrote:

I'm in the process of ending my sales on Ebay. It's a shame really, but managed payments just adds one more layer of hassle, with ever diminishing returns. 

@tipsy-cat-collectibles 

Do you have some questions about MP that concern you?

Message 581 of 616
latest reply

No, I understand completely. I just feel as a seller, if I want the funds to go into my paypal account...that I use for literally everything online. I should have the right to do that. Ebay could easily process payments, for other methods and still transfer the money into paypal but they have chosen to force people to use bank accounts. Personally I don't want my banking information used by ebay. Paypal works... seems that everything ebay does over the last few years has been disastrous for sellers and I expect this to be more of the same. 

Message 582 of 616
latest reply

@tipsy-cat-collectibles wrote:

No, I understand completely. I just feel as a seller, if I want the funds to go into my paypal account...that I use for literally everything online. I should have the right to do that. Ebay could easily process payments, for other methods and still transfer the money into paypal but they have chosen to force people to use bank accounts. Personally I don't want my banking information used by ebay. Paypal works... seems that everything ebay does over the last few years has been disastrous for sellers and I expect this to be more of the same. 

@tipsy-cat-collectibles 

Unfortunately Paypal isn't a bank so MP can't do that.  It is against the federal rules that govern Money processors.  I respect that you prefer it, I've known other sellers that do as well, but they can't.  It is simply something they can not do without breaking federal regulations.  They can ONLY transfer to a bank.

You could however transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account.  I know it is an extra step but it only takes a few seconds to do.  

I have a separate checking account set up to drop all my online sales into.  It is cleaner this way for me and makes bookkeeping so much easier.

Since you weren't aware of this, there may be other things that a little more clarity may help you on.  So if there is anything else, please ask.

Message 583 of 616
latest reply

Agreed ! You hit nail on the Head!

Message 584 of 616
latest reply

Agreed, Ebay cares less about 1000 or 10,000 sellers leaving. But when 100,000 leave or 1,000,000 leave they might.

Message 585 of 616
latest reply