cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does shipping work with this newfangled managed payments deal?

Ok, it's my turn.  I've been dreading this day for months now and just found out I’ve been slammed into the new system.  So I started reading the boards and now I'm a little confused.  After 20+ years I guess I shouldn’t be surprised to see how they can stir up so much turmoil when they rollout another “improvement”

Mainly, I'm wondering how does shipping time work within this new system? I would normally buy the label via ebay, using paypal funds from buyer’s payment.  Then I would ship within a day or 2 after payment.  Sounds like now I’ll be fronting the money for shipping costs?  Does ebay shipping still get paid straight from paypal,?  Or does managed payments use proceeds from the sale? Or, is ebay going to start dipping into my bank account for shipping? Do they hold the payment until the item is shipped, or do I hold payment until I'm paid? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.  

I just got a huge load of retail returns and I'm seriously considering listing on posh instead.  It’s not any cheaper over there, but everything is just so much easier.  The listing process is a breeze.  Fee structure and payment policy is clear and simple.  They take a flat 20% off the top. Period. Posh emails you a prepaid shipping label that they pay for from their 20% cut.  Funds are released when buyer acknowledges receipt.  If buyer doesn’t acknowledge, then funds are automatically released 3 days, after tracking shows delivery. Sure, you wait a few days, but no nonsense and no confusion. No buyer bias either. I had one buyer try to scam a discount for some bogus damage claim. Posh stepped right up, denied the claim and released my funds.  Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty to complain about over there, but nothing like what goes on in this place.   

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@darkofthematinee 

The shipping charge, you can use the pending funds to cover it.

When you buy your label, scroll down the page, on the left side, change how you want to pay for it.

I still ship the same or next day, but some have decided to wait until the funds are in their checking account.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Until you make a change, the shipping funds will continue to come from your PayPal balance. When it is empty, the funds will come from the method (in your PayPal wallet) that you've selected as your 'Preferred' method of payment while shopping online. I still have my attached bank account marked, some ship using a credit card.

The new option is what @kensgiftshop has recommended.

Managed Payments will process your payments whether you've shipped or not. It's up to you when  you ship... as long as it's within your Handling Time, you're good with eBay.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@darkofthematinee wrote:

Ok, it's my turn.  I've been dreading this day for months now and just found out I’ve been slammed into the new system.  So I started reading the boards and now I'm a little confused.  After 20+ years I guess I shouldn’t be surprised to see how they can stir up so much turmoil when they rollout another “improvement”

Mainly, I'm wondering how does shipping time work within this new system? I would normally buy the label via ebay, using paypal funds from buyer’s payment.  Then I would ship within a day or 2 after payment.  Sounds like now I’ll be fronting the money for shipping costs?  Does ebay shipping still get paid straight from paypal,?  Or does managed payments use proceeds from the sale? Or, is ebay going to start dipping into my bank account for shipping? Do they hold the payment until the item is shipped, or do I hold payment until I'm paid? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.  

I just got a huge load of retail returns and I'm seriously considering listing on posh instead.  It’s not any cheaper over there, but everything is just so much easier.  The listing process is a breeze.  Fee structure and payment policy is clear and simple.  They take a flat 20% off the top. Period. Posh emails you a prepaid shipping label that they pay for from their 20% cut.  Funds are released when buyer acknowledges receipt.  If buyer doesn’t acknowledge, then funds are automatically released 3 days, after tracking shows delivery. Sure, you wait a few days, but no nonsense and no confusion. No buyer bias either. I had one buyer try to scam a discount for some bogus damage claim. Posh stepped right up, denied the claim and released my funds.  Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty to complain about over there, but nothing like what goes on in this place.   

@darkofthematinee  Please scroll to right sidebar at 'featured posts' where there is a great deal of information to help you  get started. (They're at the top of the forum, too, but it's easier from here).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Well, I am glad you asked these questions, because I am in the same boat, it is my turn to get switched over as well.   I always shipped after I saw the payment clear in my paypal,  but that was usually the same day the buyer paid.   I'm setting everything for 5 day handling time since I have no idea what to expect with this new method.    I know I will not feel comfy shipping something without seeing the money in an account.  

Especially that first sale on the new system!  I don't really seem to have anyway of knowing if it is working and tied to my bank.  

Apparently I can't change the shipping payment source until my first sale under managed payments?  I hope I remember to look for the mentioned little box when I print the label!  

And -Why are the fees so different in different categories?  "Books", why would they be so much higher than an old spoon?    I know all this has probably been discussed before, but to add to my fun- I  moved.    Only 10 miles from the old address, I think I correctly changed and updated my account to my new address- but my listings still have the old zip code and I can't seem to figure out how on earth to change that either.   

Just when I thought I had the hang of selling things here- all the sudden OMG I feel so lost and dumb.      

Message 5 of 5
latest reply