cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenge payment dispute

I have a buyer filing a payment dispute because they are upset it didn't come with something not included in the description or photos. If I challenge the dispute, will there still be an option to refund them? Or will it count against me if i lose? I just want to make it known they are expecting something not in the description but am willing to refund because it was a cheap item.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

is this an ebay return case or a charge back from their credit card?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If it's a dispute with buyer's credit card from a bank...those are hard to win from a bank. And challenge with the bank might cost another 20 bucks which will be subtracted from "available funds".

If it's a claim opened on eBay by the buyer...usually one has to refund the buyer after item is return through an eBay shipping label. If eBay refunds it for you...you also lose the item and get a "ding". Best to usually refund the buyer...challenge the dispute...photos and description doesn't matter. Buyer usually wins. 

"refund because it was a cheap item"....you answered your own question.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay wants the seller to resolve it by providing a return label, or refund and let them keep it.

If you ask eBay for help then you get a defect for having a case unresolved by the seller. So resolve it without asking eBay to decide. If you challenge the dispute then the option for you to refund goes away and eBay will step in and refund in your behalf and let the buyer keep it.

After you have them return it, or you refund then report the buyer for forcing a dispute over something that wasn't included in the listing. If you provided a shìpping label they might give you a $6 shipping voucher.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

First. Is this just a return request or did the buyer just file a chargeback before contacting you. If it’s a simple return request just approve it and give them a free return label. If they went straight to their credit card i think you can accept that and agree to refund.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Payment disputes dont "count against" you. There is no seller metric or performance measurement for payment disputes.

You either accept the dispute and it will refund the buyer the full amount and the buyer keeps the item. Ebay does not refund you your selling fee if you accept the dispute.

If you challenge the dispute, you must give EXTREMELY COMPELLING arguments that you are not at fault here (explaining with evidence that the item claimed to be missing was never described as being included, etc). Include pictures, auction full description, communication with buyer/seller, anything that will detail the timeline and what happened. It's also highly recommended to say in no uncertain terms that you are willing to accept a return for a refund, and including a return shipping label.

There is no official way to accept a return once a payment dispute happens. Every payment dispute is reviewed by a human being. You are allowed up to 5 photos and THATS IT. So if you plan on challenging, make sure to figure out how mspaint or other generic picture file creator programs work, because you'll need it.

If you win the dispute, you do not owe the buyer any money and the matter is considered permanently closed. If you lose the dispute, you are charged the full refund amount plus a dispute fee of $20. You can appeal it but there is no guarantee you will win the appeal. Appeals found in the seller's favor are paid out of eBay's pocket, it does not come from the buyer.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply