cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America payout not accepted in Georgia

I have spent over 2 hours going round and round with ebay not accepting my BOA account.  Finally I asked to speak with a supervisor after the last "we'll get back with you in 48 hours" did not occur and she informed me that BOA in Georgia will not interface with ebay.  And that I need to open an new account with another bank just to get paid!  I would not have listed/sold on ebay knowing this mishegoss.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Bank of America payout not accepted in Georgia

It's unfortunate how eBay lets people sell before completing the payment registration process.

Your choices at this point are to either open a different bank account for eBay, or abandon selling and eventually eBay will release the funds to your state's unclaimed property. Depending on the state that process could take a very long time. Better to open a new bank account if you ask me. You'll get the funds and be able to continue selling.

All that said - eBay (or more specifically, Adyen, the company that processes payments for eBay) red flags bank routing numbers that have too much fraud attached and prevents sellers from using accounts with those routing numbers. For years now, Bank of America in Georgia has been affected. eBay does not have and/or will not provide a list of acceptable banks. It's not until you create an account and try to attach it that you'll find out if it's accepted or not. If you contact eBay Payments CS they will tell you they need a routing number to look up, and you won't get that routing number until you open an account. It's a really bad system. 🙁

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I have two debit cards from 2 banks. Its actually safer to have 2 bank accounts in case of a problem with one bank.

All you need to do is get another debit card from a bank and ask the clerk the routing number of the debit card. Don't need to purchase checks.

If you are over 65 years of age  US Bank offers free checking...meaning a free debit card with no minimum deposit in the bank.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I use Chime Bank online and have never had an issue.  The hardest part of setting up a Chime account online is usually getting the verification deposits to go through correctly.  Think it was option #2 on eBay's end.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

I use Chime Bank online and have never had an issue.  The hardest part of setting up a Chime account online is usually getting the verification deposits to go through correctly.  Think it was option #2 on eBay's end.

If I remember correctly, instead of verifying by logging in to your bank through the portal you verified using micro deposits @krazzykats . Using the micro deposit options is a great way to get through verification when the log in option kicks out errors.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

If you type Georgia bank in the all content search bar above there's two pages going back 2 years saying Bank of America in Georgia is not accepted.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

If you type Georgia bank in the all content search bar above there's two pages going back 2 years saying Bank of America in Georgia is not accepted.

This is true. I am in Tennessee and used my decades old personal BOA bank account when onboarding to MP in 2018 (I think it was 2018... it was before they required it). I remember seeing nothing but BOA in Georgia isn't accepted. With that being said, I've never had a problem with payouts.

It took me a long time to accept that it was true... but it certainly appears to be. Bummer that eBay allows folks to list here without being all set up to receive payments. We empathize, @bongomooch.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Being that "eBay doesn't  earn interest" has been quietly removed in the Payout Policy, then I betcha they let sellers sell first before having a way to get paid because then they can make a little money on the interest on the seller's payout. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Being that "eBay doesn't  earn interest" has been quietly removed in the Payout Policy, then I betcha they let sellers sell first before having a way to get paid because then they can make a little money on the interest on the seller's payout. 

This process wasn't changed after that interest situation, so I think it's unlikely to be related. eBay holds new seller funds for 30 days so if the seller gets their payment method set up within those 30 days then eBay's not earning any extra interest they wouldn't already be getting.

I think the more likely reason eBay encourages but doesn't force payment verification before someone sells is eBay doesn't want to present too many obstacles to getting started here. Plus, new seller payment holds are generally 30 days so perhaps they think that's a generous amount of a time for seller to verify payment method after their first sale. 🤷

Problem is, post-sale payment set up creates issues as it has for this seller. Other venues require payment verification before you can list; in my opinion, eBay should do the same.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Double-check that all the information you provided to eBay, especially regarding your BOA account, is accurate. Simple errors like typos in account numbers or names can sometimes cause issues.
Reach out to Bank of America once more, and specifically inquire about any restrictions or issues with interfacing with eBay. It might be helpful to speak to a different representative or visit a local branch for more personalized assistance.
eBay often provides multiple payment options. While they might recommend another bank, see if there are alternative payment methods or services that could work with your current BOA account.
eBay's policies and accepted payment methods can change. Make sure you're aware of their current policies, and check if there have been any recent updates that might affect your ability to use a BOA account.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply