Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I receive social disability is it at risk by selling on eBay

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: I receive social disability is it at risk by selling on eBay

@fab_finds4u wrote:

A roommate i had years ago was disabled and he was allowed to earn $1009 per month but any more than that would mess with his check. He got that in a letter from SSA that came with his first check. Please call SSA and find out your limits.  SSDI after all is supplemental income meant to add to limited income earners. That means you can have a limited income while receiving the benefit check. 

@fab_finds4u 

Has NOTHING to do with 'limited income'

SSDI is Disability- meaning you are put on PERMANENT Disability for LIFE (unless they decide something else depending on Dr Visits etc.) and is basically putting a 'working' person on 'early' retirement and a 'spouse' can earn $5,000,000 a year and still NOT affect the other spouse on SSDI. 

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

You can't grow limbs back or get your sight back if you're legally blind and you're an amputee from an accident.  You are disabled forever. Which was the case with my roommate.  HOWEVER, he could earn $1009 per month or his benefits would stop. (He earned a little income on eBay)  I read the letter myself. In fact I had to read it to him. Was years ago and he's been dead for 8 years. 

Since your message I looked it up. The numbers have changed. 

Here ya go.

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/how-much-to-earn-to-qualify

"You can make up to $1470 (or $2460 if you are blind) in 2023 on Social Security Disability, or your benefits will stop, which is known as Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) During the trial work  period, there are no limits on your earnings, but you cannot exceed the SGA amount. Use our disability calculator to see how much you could be able to earn in disability benefits."

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

That's $1470 per month, not per year.

We still have no idea which specific type of disability benefit the OP is collecting.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

You can't grow limbs back or get your sight back if you're legally blind and you're an amputee from an accident.  You are disabled forever. Which was the case with my roommate.  HOWEVER, he could earn $1009 per month or his benefits would stop. (He earned a little income on eBay)  I read the letter myself. In fact I had to read it to him. Was years ago and he's been dead for 8 years. 

Since your message I looked it up. The numbers have changed. 

Here ya go.

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/how-much-to-earn-to-qualify

"You can make up to $1470 (or $2460 if you are blind) in 2023 on Social Security Disability, or your benefits will stop, which is known as Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) During the trial work  period, there are no limits on your earnings, but you cannot exceed the SGA amount. Use our disability calculator to see how much you could be able to earn in disability benefits."

Yes; but has nothing to do with a spouse. That 'person' can earn, that much, under their SS#- but a spouse can earn whatever and SSDI is NOT affected. 

If you are getting SSDI, Social Security Disability Insurance, then it does not matter how much your spouse is making. The income or assets of a spouse do not affect SSDI because it is not a need-based program, but instead is a benefit earned through a person's work history and the number of work credits they have. 

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I did not see that the OP was talking about a spouse so why are you? 

I thought he or she  wanted to know if they were at risk.  They are if they earn more than $1470  on eBay according to that .org site for disability faqs.  And that is a month. I was originally talking about it was  $1009 a month. 

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

If you go back you will see the limit I was talking about was $1009 a month. It's  now $1470.  Why would you say it's  not year when I didn't say it was a year?

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

I did not see that the OP was talking about a spouse so why are you? 

I thought he or she  wanted to know if they were at risk.  They are if they earn more than $1470  on eBay according to that .org site for disability faqs.  And that is a month. I was originally talking about it was  $1009 a month. 

Because you stated this (which is absolutely wrong)

"SSDI after all is supplemental income meant to add to limited income earners"

It is NOT.

THAT is for those on SSI. 

SSDI is for those 'disabled' after working and has NOTHING to do with LIMITED INCOME EARNERS.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

I'm on SSDI (due to having bipolar disorder) and my boyfriend is on SSI (from a stroke he had at age 4 months) and I have already used up my full year of Ticket to Work Program when I sold on Amazon and spoke at length to a professional in this Arena to learn exactly my limits.

If you have SSI it is because when you applied for disability you did not have enough work history and you did not pay enough into Social Security to qualify for SSDI (You had to have worked half the years between when you applied and when you turned 21.... making slightly over 4,000 a year for that year to qualify). If you did not work enough and you're on SSI it is considered welfare and has much higher restrictions and you end up losing $1 for every $2 you earn and also have a limit on your assets (around $2000).

If you have SSDI you are considered to have retired early due to your disability. You have no limits on assets you can hold. The amount you make per month depends on how much you paid into Social Security. Working on eBay has actually helped my SSDI amount go up over the years as I pay taxes into Social Security.

Having SSDI means they never remove part of your check. It's only an on and off switch you either get it all or you don't. You lose your entire check for any months that you make over a certain amount that slightly raises every year but it's a little bit over $1000. Regarding ebay they look at the entire year as a whole not month to month. When you do your taxes they do not consider the gross amount you get on your 1099-k, they look at the NET amount you earned after deductions. If you can keep your net amount for the whole year around $10,000 or less then you're definitely safe.

If you have one year where you go over they won't take your money away they will consider that your 12 month Ticket to Work Program year. The nine months and the 3 months are divided slightly differently and it's a little complicated but it's basically one free year where you can earn as much income as you want. If you have another year after that where you go over that (slight over $1k) amount per month, then they would bill you for all the Social Security that they gave you that year.

You can work up to 5 years not receiving SSDI checks and still be able to get back onto Social Security if your job/gig ever goes away. But after 5 years of not collecting Social Security because you're working you'll get out of the program and have to reapply completely to get back on.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

I'm sorry you feel confused. Perhaps if you read more closely the original post and your own response there would be less confusion in your future postings? 

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

"If you are talking SSI (Disability) then there is an 'amount' you can earn 'working' (which selling on ebay will show as such) and it's not much- you have to check with SS."

With all due respect, the OP did not specify which particular program she was on, as @fab_finds4u correctly pointed out . "Social Disability" could refer to different Federal disability programs. 

"SSI (Disability)" is a very misleading description that you erroroniously  applied.  SSI and SSDI are two completely separate Federal disability programs. You clearly failed to define the requirements for SSI and confused it with SSI above. This is why I posted just in case the OP was on the program with stricter requirements.

No worries, we all make mistakes. No one is perfect- cheers! 😃

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

If you go back you will see the limit I was talking about was $1009 a month. It's  now $1470.  Why would you say it's  not year when I didn't say it was a year?

Yikes, I just wanted to clarify because you hadn't mentioned either time frame in that quote and I know that sometimes the threads aren't read carefully.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

More and more we are becoming a communism country.  Fixed income.  

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Sonce your the only one who comes even remotely close to knowing about ss i have a question. Im on social security and ssi. I get around 900 something total i think only 200 of that is from ssi and 700 is from the other. Estimates since i dont have the paper. Ok anyways my question is i got 20 toys i want to sell for about 20 a piece. If i sold them all thatd be 400$ before ebay takes their cut. Since ebay rotes that 400 to your bank will i get in trouble from ssi? Does ssi know whose sending you money? I dont want to be a full time seller i just want to sell some personal items to help w my bills. If i stay under 600 total will it be ok? Or should i just not bother at all with ebay and try a pawn shop or some crap. I dont wanna get in trouble and calling ss is pointless nobody knows any of the rules there i almost became homeless over their stupidity when i moved

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Not communism.

But also, what’s your alternative, leaving your fellow citizens who are disabled to die from exposure and starvation?

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Social Security Disability does allow recipients  to make some income by working. The idea is that they’re getting a benefit for not being able to make a living wage; their disability may prevent them from working several hours in a row, or every day. But many disabled people can do SOME part time work. The current amount for 2024 is $1550 per month that you can make by working and still receive the full disability payment.
Also remember that if a person is selling on EBay, they’re only looking at profit. If you sell something for less than you paid for it, that sales amount is not taxable.

I’m not a tax person, just disabled - but you can confirm this online.
The OP should consult a tax professional or the Social Security Admin to clarify the rules before making any decisions or reporting any extra income from sales.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

You are replying to a thread that was started a year ago.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply