cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refund refused on defective and false description

Clearly I received an engine that did not work and was not as described. I received the motor. My mechanic installed it, got it running, then the engine stopped and would not start again. (The exhaust valve stuck). I initiated a return on EBAY. Seller said he did valve replacement! Then since my mechanic thought he could fix it, I prematurely canceled the return.  BIG MISTAKE. On EBAY once you cancel a return it is all over. No second thoughts. My mechanic is honest! But he will bill me an additional $300.

EBAY sent me to PayPal who let me request a partial refund. There I lost my case because the seller claimed that I had altered the item???

---------------- My message to EBAY---------------------------------

-----------------There seems to be no way to send this to EBAY----

EBAY Software was not clear. I wanted to RETRACT my initiation of a “Cancel my RETURN”  not the actual return request. There is no way to back out of the drop down list. I did not intend to cancel the return. How about a “BACK out” button on the drop down list.

Tell me how do you test an engine without installing it to see if it runs?? If it fails to run properly wouldn’t you tweek it a little?? Do you have any idea what I am even talking about?

I know you have the option to just refund me from EBAY’s account.

You have a warehouse full of money you made off me. 17 years! It seems you could bend a little. I will be leaving EBAY over this after 17 years of business. I know I am just one small business, but you don’t realize that you are losing touch with your BAY sellers as you try to compete with Amazon as a retailer. You just go ahead and keep adding fees and denying customers.  

I know one thing! In business customer support means you always put your customer first.  You have failed in your promise.

God by EBAY …. Good Luck … I will share my experience with everyone for the rest of my life. Why not make it a good story?

I

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: refund refused on defective and false description

eBay says that "Feedback is not relevant". Sellers have NOT been allowed to leave a neg in about eight years now. Essentially "one party's inputs are completely erased". eBay erases negs willy-nilly as "Feedback is not relevant". It has rapidly become an all green world.

He has NOT "relisted the item", seller probably has several of the same type and just re-uses the same listing under "sell similar". That is very common.

You are not going to get a partial, or any refund. You opened a case and closed it. You had the engine modified.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I know I am screwed! Nothing ever stays the same. In the beginning, EBAY would listen.... NOW I have absolutely no way to tell someone at EBAY, who cares, about this injustice.

It is a fantasy to think that they will ever spend time reading the comunity comments!
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

The engine was never modified. My Mechanic simply got it working,,,,Carburetor  and stuck valve!

Yes he is using the same false listing with misinformation. AND sold it NOT "ASIS" but "used and working."

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

In eBay speak, doing anything to the item, is modifying it. Fixing, cleaning, taking out of a package is all modifying.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

You're a seller?!?  You should know all of this.  For goodness sake.

Just because you refuse to "read every screen in detail" does not mean you are not obligated to those rules, just like everyone else.

It sucks.  It does but, you did this to yourself.  You could have returned for a full refund.  Instead you thought, I will do what I want because... well what ever your reason is... and you are paying the price for those reasons.  Plain and simple, this is your fault.  Not Ebay's.. Not even the seller, because they would be taking that return if you handled it the right way. 

I am sorry it happened.  It should be a learning lesson both as a buyer and a seller.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

I was at the customer service desk at a large hardware retailer, lady in front of me was trying to return a faucet set. Box was torn, plastic cover ripped, parts jumbled, missing: "I bought it this way". Kid behind the counter was having none of that.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Hey! I am not a part of the throw it away society. I take pride in fixing things. Aren't we all on EBAY looking for a deal. If you want NEW go to Amazon! Unfortunately EBAY can not control humane dishonesty. Yes every purchase is a risk.

Here is the final chapter. I have the lawn tractor back from Mac Equipment. Mac's total bill for pickup and delivery and engine replacement with sharpened blades and cleanup was $267. Engine cost with shipping $395 so roughly $670. Oh my! Yes! that was a mistake. But New tractors run about $2000.

Yesterday I finally discovered what is really wrong with the EBAY engine and why they showed a running video. The engine is very hard to start barely can turn over. Mac said I needed a new battery so another $70. I put in the new battery and same problem. Oh my!

After studying, I finally realized that the problem is that the EASY START feature is not working. There is a mechanism inside the engine that releases compression during the start cycle. Then as the engine spins up a centrifugal weight allows the cam to revert to full compression. Clever Eh!

So now it takes 2 batteries to get it started. But Hey I can cut the grass. There is a video on youtube that show the easy start feature.
In the end I have a parts engine and a runable tractor.

Hopefully we all learn from this experience. If only EBAY would look at the problem. Life goes on!
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@nunabr0 wrote:

The seller may well have replaced the valve....maybe just did a **bleep** job.

So this is about a small lawnmower-type engine..... Since you posted it here, we were under the impression that this was in reference to an automotive motor. Different beast.

In THAT case, your mechanic charging $300 was much more of a rip-off than the defective engine. These are simple, easy-to-work-on engines. Single cylinder, I'm assuming? Not sure if your particular model has a compression release feature for easy starting, as most small engines do these days....but there's a good chance that that was botched when the seller "fixed" it, or is defective, and he didn't know it.

Such are the perils of buying used engines...especially when you're having other people do the labor.  Even if you hadn't accidentally canceled the return, it is very unlikely that a return would've been accepted, since it's a used piece of equipment and a third party was messing with it. 

Sounds like you're getting hammered on all sides here. Sometimes, the least expensive option isn't the cheapest.

Who'd have thunk it?!

OP, since a stranger on the internet was able to diagtnose this problem without ever having seen the engine, but your mechanic made TWO improper diagnoses, I'd say you need a new mechanic. 

NOW do you see why used equipment must essentially be sold "as is"? Whether the valve issue was a thing or not too, you can still see the ramifications of sellers having to eat the costs of the opinions and or incompetent work/diagnoses of others.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply