cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refund refused on defective and false description

Clearly I received an engine that did not work and was not as described. I received the motor. My mechanic installed it, got it running, then the engine stopped and would not start again. (The exhaust valve stuck). I initiated a return on EBAY. Seller said he did valve replacement! Then since my mechanic thought he could fix it, I prematurely canceled the return.  BIG MISTAKE. On EBAY once you cancel a return it is all over. No second thoughts. My mechanic is honest! But he will bill me an additional $300.

EBAY sent me to PayPal who let me request a partial refund. There I lost my case because the seller claimed that I had altered the item???

---------------- My message to EBAY---------------------------------

-----------------There seems to be no way to send this to EBAY----

EBAY Software was not clear. I wanted to RETRACT my initiation of a “Cancel my RETURN”  not the actual return request. There is no way to back out of the drop down list. I did not intend to cancel the return. How about a “BACK out” button on the drop down list.

Tell me how do you test an engine without installing it to see if it runs?? If it fails to run properly wouldn’t you tweek it a little?? Do you have any idea what I am even talking about?

I know you have the option to just refund me from EBAY’s account.

You have a warehouse full of money you made off me. 17 years! It seems you could bend a little. I will be leaving EBAY over this after 17 years of business. I know I am just one small business, but you don’t realize that you are losing touch with your BAY sellers as you try to compete with Amazon as a retailer. You just go ahead and keep adding fees and denying customers.  

I know one thing! In business customer support means you always put your customer first.  You have failed in your promise.

God by EBAY …. Good Luck … I will share my experience with everyone for the rest of my life. Why not make it a good story?

I

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: refund refused on defective and false description

You will not win a case like this no matter what. It's your word; your mechanic's word vs. the seller's. How would Ebay know who is being truthful? How would they know you weren't shipping the guy back your old engine? How would they know if it was bad when you received it, or went bad after you had it?(It ran once, right? ) How would they know your mechanic didn't do something to damage it?

And plus you'd have to pay shipping to return it!

You buy something like this "as is".

Seriously, I wouldn't buy an engine from my best friend without being able to hear it run first- much less from a stranger on the internet from a remotre location.....

You rolled the dice. You lost.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Assuming the stuck valve diagnosis is correct, that should not keep the engine from running. It should run but will run poorly.

I also fail to see how a mechanic can afford to R & R a cylinder head to repair a stuck valve for 300 bucks unless he's working for peanuts.

Buying a used engine (or transmission or rear axle) is always a crapshoot. You rolled the dice and lost.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@watronics wrote:

I received the motor. My mechanic installed it

Why didn't your mechanic get the motor? Then it would be all on him. Did it come from a junkyard? Most come with a 30,60,90 day guaranty. 

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Sears wanted $1000 and Mac Equipment wanted $600 for a new motor..I found $385 on EBAY exact same motor... a drop in... he said new valves and running so I bought it.

The seller simply got the engine running, put a video on EBAY and fooled me. My mechanic installed it , got it running, then when he delivered it, it I would not start (stuck exhaust valve) I requested a return...meanwhile.....................
Mechanic took it back to the shop worked on it without me knowing.
I considered backing out of the return. In EBAY's menu, I accidentally clicked the wrong option to exit.. now EBAY will not allow any kind of return request and abandoned me. OK some of this is my fault, but the fact is the seller sold me a defective product and did not tell the truth.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

When the a valve sticks open on a Briggs and Straton engine, you know it is a stuck exhaust valve. You loose compression... that is easy to observe without taking it apart. In addition, the engine will not start and you will get an occasional back fire from fumes in the exhaust system igniting.. (the exhaust valve is stuck open) The backfire tells you it is the exhaust valve. 

Sadly the same symptom as the engine I was trying to replace. So... Same engine , same problem. Problem is the seller said he replaced the valves.... fooled me. 

When I used Google to describe the condition where a running engine suddenly will not start after running perfectly, I never did find this obvious answer.. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

No It won't run without compression. (See my other replies). Backfires tell me the exhaust valve is the one that is stuck.f

I think my mechanic MAC Equipment was embarrassed that he tried to deliver it to me and it flat would not start. So he assured me he would get it running. My original quote from him was 2 hours labor. I do not know exactly what he did. 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

You have a point... The seller said he replaced the valves.....He did not tell the truth...The symptoms of the failed engine clearly point to a stuck valve. 

I am a 17 year veteran of EBAY as a seller and buyer. They know I am honest. That is what the feedback system is all about.

Their proud claim is that you can buy with confidence. EBAY will protect you.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

The seller may well have replaced the valve....maybe just did a **bleep** job.

So this is about a small lawnmower-type engine..... Since you posted it here, we were under the impression that this was in reference to an automotive motor. Different beast.

In THAT case, your mechanic charging $300 was much more of a rip-off than the defective engine. These are simple, easy-to-work-on engines. Single cylinder, I'm assuming? Not sure if your particular model has a compression release feature for easy starting, as most small engines do these days....but there's a good chance that that was botched when the seller "fixed" it, or is defective, and he didn't know it.

Such are the perils of buying used engines...especially when you're having other people do the labor.  Even if you hadn't accidentally canceled the return, it is very unlikely that a return would've been accepted, since it's a used piece of equipment and a third party was messing with it. 

Sounds like you're getting hammered on all sides here. Sometimes, the least expensive option isn't the cheapest.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

1. When you go to cancel a return ebay makes you click TWICE both with warnings that you will not be able to reopen the case.

2. Ebay clearly states that you must return your item in the exact same condition as you received it.  This means you can not have a mechanic alter it in any way.  

3. It seems to me that you didnt follow Ebay rules but, now are blaming Ebay.   

4. Paypal is not associated with Ebay any longer.  Their decision can not be altered by Ebay.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

You are probably right! If I read every screen in detail, I would be on this computer late into the night.

Instead, like most people, I just know how it ought to be!

The real issue/question is Why? Why can't you reopen a case? 

Like the engine I bought, I assumed it would work. I installed it and then discovered it did not work.

I filed a return request!

Mechanic says....  wait I can fix it! (that would be nice)

Cancelled the return !

Now I want a partial refund to pay the mechanic!

You know what else! they removed my negative feedback.

The seller got away with everything. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

You are probably right! If I read every screen in detail, I would be on this computer late into the night.

Instead, like most people, I just know how it ought to be!

The real issue/question is Why? Why can't you reopen a case? 

Like the engine I bought, I assumed it would work. I installed it and then discovered it did not work.

Cancelled the return ! (seller is home free now)

Now I want a partial refund to pay the mechanic, but there is no recourse! 

You know what else! they removed my negative feedback.

The seller got away with everything. 

He has listed another item just like the one I bought with the same claims in the description

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@watronics wrote:

Why can't you reopen a case? 

Cancelled the return ! (seller is home free now)

Now I want a partial refund to pay the mechanic, but there is no recourse! 

Reopening cases would flood Ebay with extra work. If you paid with a credit card you can try contacting them. You should have done a return from the getgo. Asking for a partial return would seem like a scam to most sellers. Everybody that thought they paid too much could be asking for a partial refund saying it doesn't work right.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Why silly me.  When did the assumption that the majority is honest go away?

Now I am truly depressed. Partial refunds make sense. I can still use the parts, but the seller did not provide what he promised. Therefore; save the shipping costs back. agree on a fair deal.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

OK now I see he relisted the item. using the same description and video and inaccurate information.
I have had my negative feedback removed. In addition I can not report the relisting that is inaccurate.
Good luck to the next guy!
So how does feedback really work when one party's inputs are completely erased?
Message 15 of 23
latest reply