cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the True Motive Here?

My Customer Service Manager showed a 2003 Mercedes E500 last night.  It's a very nice car that we did a lot of work.  It is not for sale on eBay.  Here's the car and the service report:

03e500f1.JPG03e500t.jpg03e500in1.jpg

Now, the service report:

We brought this clean Mercedes in for service and found that the prior owner had done the routine maintenance and kept the vehicle in good order.  However, we also found a list of parts that needed replaced that are common to Mercedes vehicles of this vintage.  When buying a Mercedes, like Ferrari or any other premium vehicle, the service history is important.  Now sit back and read what we have done to make your next vehicle convenient for you! 

The vehicle’s oil was very clean and it has just been changed.  It appears that a professional shop did the service as the drain plug has the correct copper sealing washer and a mark on the drain plug indicating that it has been properly tightened.  We double-checked and it is all just fine.  The vehicle’s oil system keeps track of the oil level instead of a traditional dipstick.  A simple command on the steering wheel will give you an oil check before startup as desired.

These vehicles have an air induction system on each side of the engine and run dual air filters.  While we were under the hood, we removed the air filter box on top of the engine and changed both filters. 

While checking for underhood items, we noted that there was enough vibration in the vehicle to justify replacing the hydraulic engine mounts.  This job requires the complete removal of the front exhaust system and while we were under the vehicle, we replaced the transmission mount, too.  The engine is now very smooth and isolated from the vehicle’s chassis just as Mercedes designed.

While we had things apart, we decided to install new Denso® brand spark plugs.  Mercedes designed the M113 engine to use two spark plugs per cylinder.  At this age and mileage, it’s time to install a fresh set. 

Looking over the brakes, they were close to needing changed so we replaced brake rotors, pads and wear sensors front and rear.  The brakes are new all the way around and perform excellent!

Continuing on the chassis, we ordered and installed a BRAND NEW SET of Uniroyal® Tiger Paw GTZ™ performance tires illustrated in the listing.  We refuse to use no-name tires made in some third world country that will fall apart on you.  We use a quality name brand tire that is representative of our commitment to quality.  Most dealers would have looked the other way and said that the tires “look good” as they rub their chin and lie like a rug.

This model of Mercedes, their premium high-powered E-Class, has the AirMatic® air suspension system.  Looking over the vehicle, the front air struts have been replaced with Arnott Industries® air suspension units which are in my experience, better than OEM.  The rear air springs appeared original so we went ahead and replaced both rear air springs so that you would not have to wonder about them.  As we serviced the air suspension, we changed the air intake filter on the compressor which is a routine service item that hardly anyone knows to change. 

While checking for burned out bulbs, we found that the low beam failure was due to a wiring fault inside the headlight assembly so we just replaced both headlight assemblies.  They are new and look great on the vehicle!

And finally, we installed new wiper blades.  Wow, that’s a lot of work but we are committed to making things right.

Shop around and then ADD IT UP!  Why buy one that needs work?  How much will that cost you in addition to the car itself?  The items that we serviced would easily cost you $5,500 if you did all of this after the sale.  Buy from Grove.  That’s the Grove Automotive Group, Inc. difference. Shopping for a used vehicle based upon price alone is simply foolish. 

You can always pay less.  Just click the “back” button and buy something else?  However, if you are looking for a better value, buy from Grove.  That’s the Grove Automotive Group, Inc. difference. No one services vehicles like we do prior to sale.  NO ONE.  Shopping for a used vehicle based upon price alone is simply foolish. 

WE SERVICE WHAT OTHERS TRY TO HIDE™

--------------  

The customer asked to drive the car which we typically do not due since you never know if they're insured or how their insurance will want to cover the situation if there is a mishap.  In 20 years, there have been two customers who wouldn't buy without driving and I let them leave.

This guy convinces us to drive the car, loves it, then calls back to my Customer Service Manager and says that he's not going to buy the car because I pi**ed him off about the test drive.

I think that it has nothing to do with the test drive.  It's just a fancy way of bailing out without admitting that he "aint got the money".  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: What is the True Motive Here?

The final chapter of this was very predictable and is coming to an end as I thought it would. I've seen people buy used cars without a test drive, not this guy.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Love it!!!
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I do what I want...

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

"The customer asked to drive the car which we typically do not due since you never know if they're insured or how their insurance will want to cover the situation if there is a mishap.  "

Due=Do..   Coming from the self proclaimed  MBA  guy that has a reputation for correcting grammer on this board, I am very disappointed...   Nice car.. I can't imagine why anyone would ever buy  a car like that without a test drive.. Any major mechanical repair could easily exceed the the overall value of the car... JMO..

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

"

Due=Do..   Coming from the self proclaimed  MBA  guy that has a reputation for correcting grammer on this board,

Kelsey Grammer posts here? Or did you mean "grammar"? 😉

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

yeah, I am just a stupid flunkie that barely squeaked by with a 2.5 GPA.. MBA Tony should know better..

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Went truck shopping with my step son last Friday. Stopped at four different dealers. Test drove three different trucks at two of the dealerships. No one even went with us.  The test drive was a no brainer for the sales person. The last truck we drove he bought. If the salesperson would have told us that we could not test drive it we would not have walked ,we would have run!

Sorry Tony but to not offer or to deny a test drive seems unprofessional.  The only vehicles I have ever bought with out a test drive are the ones I bought from the salvage yard!

Message 22 of 22
latest reply