cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should General Motors be Rebranded to General Joke?

The last ten years of so for GM have been a joke.  The products are dismal and they are losing market share left and right.  The company that built your old daddy's '57 Chevy is bankrupt and no longer exists.

I'd suggest either liquidating the entire enterprise or at least changing the name on the NYSE to "General Joke".

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Should General Motors be Rebranded to General Joke?

Perfect project for you to take on and encourage GM to rebrand... maybe you could get them to sell a few Volvos in their showrooms too.  🤣

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

must be losing market share left and right, because it certainly isn’t down.  Regardless, I’m not sure what this has to do with eBay.

IMG_2110.png

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You can compare any data points to create the image that you want to project.  That's the beauty and curse of statistics.  Here's the larger picture, not just one focused on celebrating the brand.

tony1963_0-1701609237166.png

And yes, they'd probably benefit from adding Volvo to the lineup, something that everyone wants as opposed to failed products that are the laughingstock of the industry.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Could not disagree more. GM is not bankrupt not even close. The strike has taken a toll on the stock but it will bounce back. Maybe not fast enough for you but it will. You can always sell your stock if you have any.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Once the incompetent occupant in the Oval Office and his Bidenomics are gone, GM and the other automobile manufacturers will begin to prosper again... not to mention many other industries.

The EV mandate is not working, most dealerships have a vehicle on their lots for 2 to 3 months, but the EVs are not selling very well. They are staying on the lots for 9 to 12 month, even with heavy discounts and rebates.

The infrastructure is not there to support them, the mandate of all vehicles will be EVs by 2035 needs to be removed.  Give it time, let technology catch up. The US and other parts of the world can support fossil fuel and EVs for years to come. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I don't see this as a political issue, I see this as a failure of management.  I'm hoping that someone comes along and buys all of the GM stock, then rebrands the company to produce something worth going down to the dealership to view.

For now, I'll drive Mercedes.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

It is a political issue for all automobile manufacturers, including your beloved Mercedes. Mercedes shares are down more than 6% and "Mercedes-Benz earlier this month reported a 4% drop in overall third-quarter sales, with top-end sales down 11%,"... all because of the EVs...

Many countries follow what the US does, including Biden's EV mandate. The mandate has been brutal to automobile manufacturers... sales are terrible worldwide.

BTW, a "Reliability Survey" awarded 8 year old and newer Mercedes 3 out of 5 stars, stating they were just average. You might want to take a second look at that Kia next to the Mercedes on the dealership's lot.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Sure buy a Kia and when the engine blows at 100,000 miles or less you will wish you bought the Mercedes.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I don't see this as a political issue, I see this as a failure of management.  I'm hoping that someone comes along and buys all of the GM stock, then rebrands the company to produce something worth going down to the dealership to view.

For now, I'll drive Mercedes.

True, they need to bring back vehicles with some style, like in the 70's.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I'm not going to put much stock in George, Barney, Elmer and Betty who buy a used Mercedes and fail to do the proper maintenance.  They complain that a $40 sensor fails and suddenly the car is junk.  That's fine because I bought those cars left and right for 20 years, did the minor repairs, then cashed in.

You previously ranted about Volvo how bad they were but I wore out my printer with sales documentation on those vehicles too.  Yes, for me the Mercedes is the beloved vehicle, but I also care for them properly as well.  I do it myself.

Mercedes never filed bankruptcy and never hid a safety issue (ignition switch) like your beloved GM.  Shame on them.  

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

My beloved GM?  I'm not into the newer GM cars, or Fords, especially not Mopar, but I do like the big 3 diesel pickups. Mine does great. For a daily drivers, new Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans SUVs are my choices.... they do just fine.

I'm sure you know I have classic cars, a couple of Fords and a couple of Chevys.... all are driven quite often Much better than a everyday Mercedes that looks like any other car... 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

You can compare any data points to create the image that you want to project.  That's the beauty and curse of statistics.  Here's the larger picture, not just one focused on celebrating the brand.

tony1963_0-1701609237166.png

And yes, they'd probably benefit from adding Volvo to the lineup, something that everyone wants as opposed to failed products that are the laughingstock of the industry.

You stated the GM is losing market share left and right. I showed some simple numbers that indicate that they aren’t, at least not in the last several years. You post numbers that are very dated, and show market share losses going back 60 years. Absolutely, GM has lost a lot of market chairs since 1960. Conceded.  but to say that GM is losing market share left and right is just plain false.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

GM is losing market share left and right.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Perhaps with any luck this thread will wander off into the dark night to be forgotten as was the Nov 2022 disparaging of GM.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply