cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a car with no title?

I've sold cars on here before with no issues (on another page with a partner), but I've never sold a car without a title........

I have a 1980 Triumph TR8.  The car is being sold locally as a parts car, but I'd like to sell it on here to reach more potential buyers.  The car is not running and has some rust, but it has a lot of desirable parts, motor, etc.  

Is selling a car without a title allowed on ebay?  If someone has a link to where it states if this is allowed or not, I'd like to read it (I couldn't find anything).

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Selling a car with no title?

There's a "salvage parts car category", in which, even if the car had a title, you're not allowed to mention it. You list your car in there...no problem. Been my experience though, that unless you get lucky or have something rare and desirable,  parts cars don't do too good online....but it's worth a shot if you've had no luck locally.  Selling individual parts can often be very lucrative if you have the time and inclination to take 'em off, clean 'up nice, and list them- especially the smaller stuff that can be mailed.  Depends on how much demand there is for parts for that model and year though.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

How did you come to have the vehicle without a title?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Well its a 1980 Triumph TR8.  It was a low production car and what we know about it is that it is a desirable car amongst Triumph enthusiasts and a car that is expected to increase in value.

That being said, we are Chevy-American muscle car types with an accumalation of 40 years worth of parts with no shortage of stuff to list on here and to sell in our shop.  We could take apart a 70 Chevelle no problem and know what each piece is and what its worth (just an example, we wouldn't do that to a 70 unless it were a total rust bucket).  We don't know much about Triumphs and don't really have the customer base for it.  On our page that we sell our parts on, we really only deal in 1950's-80's GM, Mopar and Ford.  We'd rather see it go to someone restoring a TR8 and have a car to pick off of or have someone else part it out that has the customers for it.

Thank you though for letting me know which route to go with selling the car without a title.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

What state are you in? I have been looking for a TR8..

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Never mind, I see you are in NJ.. Too far.. Here in GA, a title isn't required for a vehicle 1985 or older..

Message 6 of 6
latest reply