cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question For Auto Part Listing

Hi everyone, would anyone have info on how the people with selling auto parts list their items? Do they take a pic of each caliper on their own and then list or is there a company that already has the pictures on hand that you can buy the pictures from and maybe they list the items for you as well?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@theonlineentrepreneur

@theonlineentrepreneur wrote:

Hi everyone, would anyone have info on how the people with selling auto parts list their items? Do they take a pic of each caliper on their own and then list or is there a company that already has the pictures on hand that you can buy the pictures from and maybe they list the items for you as well?

You are better off taking your own pictures, using stock photos makes buyers think drop shipper.

I have never heard of a service that will list your items, you would be giving up control.

And if they made a mistake, and it slipped by you, that would be trouble.

It would be easy to make a template with most of the info pre filled out.

Then just put in the part number, what it fits, and the pictures.

I did this with wheel bearings I was selling, you can crank out the listings real fast.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

If they were going to list 'em, too- what would they need you for? They might as well just sell them retail and keep the money themselves.

If you want to be in business....YOU have to do the work- and anyone who tells you otherwise is just looking to take your money. Not only do you have to do the work, but you have to do it better or cheaper or something better/different than your competitors.

If it was easy....everyone would do it!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

If they were going to list 'em, too- what would they need you for? They might as well just sell them retail and keep the money themselves.

If you want to be in business....YOU have to do the work- and anyone who tells you otherwise is just looking to take your money. Not only do you have to do the work, but you have to do it better or cheaper or something better/different than your competitors.

Good Morning

On the selling board the OP said they have a warehouse, and an overhauling service.

They have been selling local, and want to get online.

Not sure where they live that a shop like this would fly, but.

I guess if they are in a big city, and they can offer a good deal to shops...

I think online selling this type of part will be a slow sale.

Most people who blow out a caliper, need it fast.  

and the Zone can have it next or same day, with a life time warranty

Now someone doing a project can wait.

Listing is not that hard, once you get a system down.

And with a prefilled template, you can crank out the listings.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Perfect example, Dave! Just last week, I bought $600 worth of calipers and rotors down at the local NAPA store! 🙂

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@legitimate_bidder

Good Morning

On the selling board the OP said they have a warehouse, and an overhauling service.

They have been selling local, and want to get online.

Not sure where they live that a shop like this would fly, but.

I guess if they are in a big city, and they can offer a good deal to shops...

I think online selling this type of part will be a slow sale.

Most people who blow out a caliper, need it fast.  

and the Zone can have it next or same day, with a life time warranty

Now someone doing a project can wait.

Listing is not that hard, once you get a system down.

And with a prefilled template, you can crank out the listings.

I list the calipers that come off the Vette's and they are a slow sale, unless you sell them cheap.

OP: If they are new Parts, Ebay may have a photo in the system that you can find with the UPC or Part number.  I agree with the others that photographing them yourself will garner you more attention from buyers, but that can be time consuming.  

Whether they are new or used you can photograph one of each part and then do multipart listings.  It's not hard once you get a template.  If you are selling all simlar parts, you can just continue to sell simlar and change only the specifics for each item.  At first though, it can take some time.  Once you get rolling, similar items can take less that a few mins to get listed.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder

Perfect example, Dave! Just last week, I bought $600 worth of calipers and rotors down at the local NAPA store! 🙂

Yep,  some work you can plan well in advance, some you need it right now.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@autopartspuller

OP said they were rebuilding them, so I am thinking used.

But there is another issue... core charges.  

They would need the core back to rebuild.

( unless they have a source for cheap cores )

And ebay is not really set up for core charges, they would have to build it into the price.

And even if they put in the listing that core charges were refundable.

Their price would mess them up in a search.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave

You know there are several people who do core charges.  I see it a lot with C4 Corvettes.  Many of the parts are no longer produced or even repopped so, it seems to be a lucrative market for the more expensive parts.  I know the one guy does Cores with Clusters.  He charges an extra in the shipping and says he will refund once the core has been received.  I suppose he's out the extra Ebay fees but as much as a cluster costs working, he probably isnt phased by it.  I am not sure if how cost effective it would be with calipers though.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@autopartspuller

I can see it for high end or rare cars/ or ones that have high prices on parts.

But a common run of the mill car ... not so much.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, for common things like calipers, between shipping and Ebay fees, etc. there's no way one could be competitive with local auto parts stores. And why would anyone do mail-order for such a common thing? I live in BFE and I can get any caliper I need locally, and at a cheap price.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I agree. Not that I need them, but calipers for my vehicles are about 18 bucks at AutoZone or O'Reillys.

Tax brings it to 20.

It's difficult for me to see how someone can compete with that price online not to mention the get it now factor locally.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

And who'd pay the postage for shipping back the core? ($18? Dang! One of the rear calipers for my Excursion was $68...)

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

So I was listing some parts today and I noticed a spot for core charge in item specific... Never saw it before not sure how it works but, interestingimage.png

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@autopartspuller

It must be in the "cars" part of Motors.

I sell in Motors.... but aircraft parts,  and there are cores, in the real world.

But I don't think we have the same listing options.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply