cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impounded car advice

This is Fairfax county Virginia. Lady asked me for advice so posting here. She has a spare car parked on the street with legal tags but expired inspection sticker because it's not currently running. It was impounded a few days ago. Fees more than car worth in current condition but she doesn't want to see it scraped. I'd pay about $300 and could fix it. The impound lot said instead of paying the fees, she just pay them $400 and give them the title. Otherwise the state or county will come after her for some abandoned car statute. I think they are bluffing. I don't think they would get more that $150 out of it from auction and I never heard of the state going after people like that. What at the options here? I suggested she offer $400 to get the car out or just walk away.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Impounded car advice

How much are the fees?  Whats the info on the vehicle? Make,model,year and overall condition.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

She hasn't told me an exact figure but around $600-$700. It's like this one I sold here earlier,  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Honda-Insight-with-FREE-DELIVERY/153143310540?hash=item23a80d78cc:g:nF... but hers has half the miles. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

Depends on why "it isn't running"!

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

I think they are bluffing and want the car for pennies on the dollar.

Oddly, just minutes ago, I had a scammer phone call. I hung up.

Up Here, abandoned vehicles get towed to a central yard. Parking ticket, or impounded, go to a regular lot. Every few months, the towing company has an abandoned vehicle auction. The "authorities" just want these to "go away".

Any outstanding parking tickets still go against the last registered owner. There are no new charges.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

In our great country, the State cannot deprive people of property without due process.  Towing the car is not due process.  

I would file a lawsuit against the tow truck drive, tow company, owners of the tow company and also the city official who gave the blanket order.

In this case, I would also contact a civil rights attorney.

I only wish that I had become a lawyer because I would love to burn the idiot official who authorized such a stunt.

Let's vote people out of office who support this kind of stuff.  And, if there is a public official out there who attempts retaliation against me, don't forget that I have the resources to defend myself.  

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

Fairfax is tough on uninspected vehicles.  She was most certainly given a warning of some type.  They will tow in a second, though.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

In NYC if you call the police to report your car stolen they laugh and say it was probably towed/impounded. That's because even with the high rate of honest crime 99% of missing cars are stolen by the police and held for ransom.

Last time my car was stolen it was $250 for the tow and $100 per day storage. It normally takes a few days for them to tell you were the car is so you can go get it, but I managed to find out on day one by staying up all night calling the local police station every 20 minutes to see if they had an update. It's a risky tactic I think I came close to being charged with some sort of crime but after about 20 calls they decided to tell me where I could pay to get it in the morning.

So it only cost me $250 but with tax it was $300. I'm not sure what the tax was for and it did not match any rate known to me but when dealing with the highes level criminals you don't ask alot of questions.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

In NYC the only solution is to pay whatever it costs to get the car back and stop the bleeding. You can then contact a lawyer, file complaints, fight, etc. like Tony suggests. But you need to stop the bleeding first.

An offer of $400 plus the title would be fraudulent here. The $400 would go in someones pocket and they would throw the title in the garbage. They then run up storage fees in excess of the cars value, get a lein on the title, sell the car at "auction" to someone in cahoots for pennies on the dollar, and put you into collections for the ballance.

A government yard can suspend your licence for non payment of the debt then arrest you if you are ever caught driving but a quasi private yard (government contractor) can only harass you and ruin your credit.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

I agree with Tony's reply; I'd consider talking to a lawyer.

And I'd file complaints with the state trade commission, the BBB, and the DMV among others.  Yes, I'd fight it. I might lose, but I'd try - based on principal alone if nothing else as they are trying to get the vehicle to sell it. 

Having lived in that area previously, I know they are strict on inspection stickers being current. Be sure that they don't perform any repairs to the vehicle either - else they will have the right to claim abandoned if the owner does not pay up - a mechanic's lien.  And that one is a solid case in their favor.

If any person or company has done work on it recently and the bill has not been paid in full, there might be a lien on it (or about to be filed) which would prohibit the tow company from taking it - and payment might can be worked out with the shop who has the lien rights. Worth a shot...

The area is full of military - is the owner military or dependant of military? If so, go to the base legal office.

Also, if she had personal belongings inside the car, the tow company can not prevent her from retrieving them - else it is theft. Make an appointment though.

I wish you and the owner well on this one; good luck.  

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

Filing complaints gets you no where.  

For instance, the State of Alabama's web site for "My Alabama Taxes" shows an icon beside the corporation's Business Privelage Tax suggesting that it is delinquent.  It isn't.  However, they have yet another programming fault in their system which makes the icon display even though it is not delinquent.  The entire purpose for the icon becomes moot.

So, I'm filing for an administrative hearing and I will likely argue that the State knowlingly, recklessly and incorrectly declares my taxes delinquent.

I would imagine that the request for the hearing will get this long-standing issue resolved.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

Apologies for the pessimistic view, but it seems there are too many variables for more than what the car is worth.

First, car not running but you think $300 can fix

Second, Impound fee compounds with more time it sits there $500-$700 ?

Third , another fee from city?

Car not worth it

Tell woman or friend to get it out and discuss terms later.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

The highly skilled people in IT with the State of Alabama finally fixed my account.  

I will ask for whomever attempts to run the IT group to resign.  What a disgrace!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

Lady got the car out of impound last week. She didn't say for how much and I didn't ask. She is attached to it like a pet. Didn't wan't to see it get junked. Towed it to a shop to get it worked on.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Impounded car advice

I hear ya,
Message 15 of 18
latest reply