cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GETTING MY PARENTS 1975 DODGE DART BOUGHT NEW

Here is the back story, My parents bought the car brand new, 1975 Dodge Dart Swinger 2 dr hard top drove and kept it till 1987 only 32,000 miles on it then now just 51,000 miles. And gave it to my oldest sister before they moved to Florida  and  both passed in 1991 & 1992, My sister rarely drove it, Church, and well you know the drill, the last time I saw it was 2002 when I was Back in Nebraska to visit her, it was still pristine then and I am sure it still is as she kept it super Maintained with a speical machanic And it was always garage kept, never out in the elements not evem overnite. About 10 yrs ago I was able to convince her to give it to me, when she passed, well that time is here in a week or so she is 76  I am 70; She was dianosed with Pantratic cancer in May  and that cancer only shows up when it is to late, and spreads quickly. So I just got the signed off tittle, from her while she is still alive, and will be getting it shipped here in the nexted week or so.

Finding transport company has been a mine field and very stressfull to say the least. I put my information on one site about a week or so ago, wow with in minutes I got at least 15 emails with in Minutes. And they still continue daily. It was a wake up call, I found out that is every thing is done through a broker. and most of them never email or call you back. But I finnally found one that was responcive so I went with them $635 with every thing included from Lincoln Nebtska to Edgewood New Mexico. I hope I dont regret it. When I sold about 12 of my collecter cars on ebay in 2010, I was on the other end, just having to get them to the local Walmart lot to be picked up that was easy. PIctures will follow when it gets here...Da nut

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

People complain that we only ever hear bad news. Well, here we have a story showing that there can even be an upside to cancer! 😄

Looking forward to the pics. Is it green? (Seems like that's the only color I ever remember seeing those cars in- although my cousin's grandmother did have a yellow one.. But I think every single other one in the world is green!)

Hey, if my sister croaks, all she has is a cruddy '92 Mustang with peeling paint.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Da Nut.I am sorry to hear about your sister.But glad to hear about your Dodge dart.Do you still have some wagons left?Thanks Bruce.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Soon to be a 75 Swinger with a Hemi.......    🙂

Back in the day a friend of mine had a 69 Swinger 340/4 speed and we would swap cars for the weekend sometimes. His Swinger for my 68 Roadrunner. There were solemn vows from both of us; no hot rodding..... Ha.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Looking forward to the photos.  At least your sister kept it....

When my mom passed away last year, I thought I was going to get her 1966 chevy malibu ss.  She had it since I was a little one.  She used to drive me around in it to put me to sleep.  Beautiful car.  AZ owned and driven.  When we Moved to PA, it was kept in a garage.  No rust.  Only driven a couple times a year to keep it "active".  Just wonderful!  So anyways.. I am dealing with her estate and I am looking for her car in one of the garages.... No where to be found.  My brother then tells me about 4 years ago, mom had it out and some guy offered her 5k for it and she sold it...  REALLY?!? and she didnt even bother to tell me about it!!  Grrr!!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

People complain that we only ever hear bad news. Well, here we have a story showing that there can even be an upside to cancer! 😄

Looking forward to the pics. Is it green? (Seems like that's the only color I ever remember seeing those cars in- although my cousin's grandmother did have a yellow one.. But I think every single other one in the world is green!)

Hey, if my sister croaks, all she has is a cruddy '92 Mustang with peeling paint.

In anwser to your question is  metalic Blue with  a blue vinyl interior , becnh seat, automatic, 225 slant "6", and air if I remember correctly as I have not seen it since 2000, On a unhappeir Note Judy Passed On July 2 early am. even though we were seprerated by distanctance we were very close. She stood by me even when I was a absolute Jerk in the late 60's and early 70's. But I am glad I started 10 yrs or so ago to convince her to put in no uncertain terms in her will. About 10  days before she passed and was still coheret. She signed the title off to me and my niece sent it to me. So I am go to go on that. As she had  a paid for house and all, and the all the relatives fight over that.   I got the car. What makes it so special is my mother and father bought it it new in 75 and in 12 years only put 32,000 miles  and over the nexted 30 yrs only put another 20,000 on it. It does have some rust, being from the Midwest but only on the rocker panels as I am told, as she sometimes had to drive it to work in the snow So now I wait for the transport to get it here, paid the $100 deposit and is supposed to be picked up this coming week end I hired a transporter called "Upscale auto transport", any body heard of them? ...Da Nut

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Hi, Da Nut,

So sorry to hear of your sister's passing. Didn't know that you two were close. 😞

I think that that is awesome that you get to have the car that your parents bought new, and which has been in the family it's whole life. And a blue one, no less! (I like blues and greens....but I never cared for the particular shade of green those Darts came in. Plymouth Valiants on the other hand...I can dig that "Lucky Irish Green" -that's what I always called it...) . Guess the year makes a difference though, as I have seen some pukey green Valiants too.....

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Da Nut Let us know when you get it buddy! Bruce.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@fisc-bruc wrote:

Hello guys Heres the update on  the Dodge Dart, I was so close to getting it it on Saturday June 8th, here is whart happened, I got a call from the broker Friday morning, he had a driver that could pick it up Friday afternoon in Lincoln ,and get it here the nexted day  Sat. But here is the rub my sisters memoiral service was Friday as well, That could not happen nor would I even consider asking, As a driver had one spot left and he was carrying a load of dealer cars directly to Albuquerque New Mexico only about 25 miles from Edgewood.

Wow so close, but so far away! So I got my niece to sent me 2 pictures of the car in a email, ( I don't know how to get them from the email to Ebay) and it is pretty much, as I remember it. except the paint is now ashy white with oxysadation even though the car is a bright metallic blue, most likely not waxed since 2002 when I was last there I remember cleaning and waxing the car for her. The niece says it runs really good yet as she took it to her house waiting for pickup. The rust is only confined to the bottom of the front fenders and just above one head light.So I am on pins and needles waiting for the car Hopefully by the end of the week. As I plan to take a lot of pictures of it, before I start cleaning it. I want to remember it exactly as it was when it got here.    I will keep you all posted......Da Nut

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thanks da nut.Keep us posted buddy.Bruce.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@fisc-bruc wrote:

The car made it to the  Walmart Super Center parking lot Sat at 12 noon, This will be a short one as I want to see if the pictures came though...Da  Nut

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Good the pictures came though, The tires are weather cracked every where. But there was 2 nearly new snow tires all ready mounted on rims in the trunk( nothing like driving around in thr desert with snow tires), So I only nned to get 2 new ones for the front I wont be going far on those I am surprized they can even hold air. My professional Machanic friend helped me get it back to the house, He drove it and said he was surprized how peppy that slant 6 is and said it feels like driving a brand new car. It mainly needs a good clean up, It now only has 54,000 miles on it.  Wow, hardly broken in.

I hope I can bring the paint back with a good waxing or two. The motor is black everywhere. You can hardly tell what is what. The engine looks like it has not been washed in at least 40 years So Sunday will be spent with about 8 cans of Gunk engine degraser and my power washer. I have been on pins and needles for the last 2 weeks getting the car here. Now I can get a good nights sleep and rest easy.....Da Nut

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Nice looking car, I like it. sunglasses

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Sweeeeet! Nice color and all!

Ahhhh.....from the days when cars felt, smelled and sounded like cars, instead of these plastic isolation booths we have today.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

DaNut.I am glad you finally got her.Nice looking car.My Mom had a Valiant and dad had a Duster.They both had the 6 cylinder motors in them .You cant kill them.Good luck with her.Bruce.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply