cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Militaria Collector's Corner

robin@ebay.com
Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to the Militaria Collector's Corner!

This is a special thread dedicated to all who love collecting Militaria and would appreciate chatting with others who share this interest! We hope this dedicated little corner will give you a way to more easily meet others in the community that share your interests.

Come in and make yourself at home! Tell us about your Militaria collections, your first piece, your favorite item, your favorite eBay find, share the histories behind your items--share share share!

A picture is always an enjoyable way to share with others, so feel free to use them here. If you need them, instructions for adding images to your posts are available from a thread at the top of this board.

Enjoy! ;0)

Robin
eBay
Community Development
---------------------------------------------------
Click here to read the latest community Newsletter
Click here for information on how to contact eBay with your questions and concerns

Click here to read the rules for posting to our boards.
Robin's About page

Message 1 of 1,071
latest reply
1,070 REPLIES 1,070

tsa-li
Thrill-Seeker
hokeypix: These individualized oriental civilian jackets were typically sold as "made to order" at the entrance to Airmans Clubs &/or NCO Clubs (very rarely Officers Clubs) by concessionaires (very often from the Republic of China, today it's called Taiwan). Very common in the mid-1970's. The flags on the back usually denote where the airman has been so far in his/her career. You need to look up all the flags and find out when/why the USAF was there to build the story. Normally, a name is also embroideried on the front of the jacket but I didn't see it - if not this may be a concessionaires display. An inner tag will provide additional information.
Message 616 of 1,071
latest reply

Tsa-li - Thank you for your information. There is a name on the front (Dick) though someone tried to pull it off. Everything else about this points to the 50s and Made in Japan - reversible YKK zipper, fabric, font of USAF. Couldn't it be earlier?

The countries I believe are:

1) Germany
2) France (and territories)
3) ?
4) Denmark
5) Netherlands
6) Belgium
7) Hungary (possible)
8) Morroco
9) Japan
10) Korea
11) Taiwan
Message 617 of 1,071
latest reply

tsa-li
Thrill-Seeker
hokeypix: corrections: 3) is ? 7) is Luxemburg 10) is South Korea and 11) is The Republic of China.

I know the jackets fairly well. A 1950's example is really quite different and I really don't see any way I could confuse the 2 (it still looks mid-1970's and I strongly suspect it was made by a Nationalist Chinese - why do you think Japanese?). Maybe there's something you haven't mentioned or it's an extremely poor photo?? Please point out the 1950's features so I can take a better look and do some research. No interior tags? It's not really a major issue for the date unless you're specifically interested. Good luck!
Message 618 of 1,071
latest reply

I was told that the YKK reversible zipper is a sign of the 50's Japanese tour jackets - looking at the other jackets from that era on ebay, they all had that as an important feature. To my eye, the typeface used on the USAF is earlier period than 70s. (It's pretty old-school). And I guess just the overall look and feel of the fabrics. I would have guessed Korean War. So what war did this coincide with - the Vietnam War? Was it worn by servicemen? Were the flags custom-embroidered according to where they'd served or visited?

I've got is listed now (since my initial post) so I've just been trying to represent it as accurately as I can....but I assume whoever bids on it will know more about it than I do!:-)
Message 619 of 1,071
latest reply

Missed this thread when posting my query yesterday. Could somebody look at my Japanese parachute question a few topics down from here? I have a whole set of WWII AAC pilot stuff. I found it in a shed on the farm we bought. I hate to get rid of it, but if I keep it, it will just sit in a trunk somewhere, which seems a shame.
Message 620 of 1,071
latest reply

dg39
Enthusiast
Looking for information on this button. Anyone know anything? Civil war? Foreign? About the size of a quarter. Email me or anwser here. Let me know. Thanks!!
Message 621 of 1,071
latest reply

the palm trees and crossed swords are the (crest?) of the House of Saud. It is part of the flag of Saudi Arabia.
Message 622 of 1,071
latest reply

c_burnr
Enthusiast
Greetings. I have these two insignia and I'm trying to get an idea of thier value. These are original shoulder boards taken from dead German Soldiers by a friend's Father. I beleive one of the is a Tank Commander, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any info - Robert

No idea how to get an image to show up here, so here's the link:

http://www.allerian.com/images/Insignia-02.jpg
Message 623 of 1,071
latest reply

hoofaway
Enthusiast
I posted this on Historical page before I spotted this thread. I am helping an elderly couple sell off part of their estate in order to move to a smaller space. Included is a collection of pins, patches etc put together by the woman who worked at the Stage Door Canteen in NYC during World War Two. She spoke fluid Frenc, so the French sailors used to flock to her. Some of these pins I can ID but most are a bit cryptic to me. Any ideas or thoughts or clues to ID info much appreciated!

First off are these two pinbacks.
I know the bottom pin obviously is RAF but what is top pin? Is marked Sterling on the reverse, and measures about two inches in lenght.

The next three images are of a bronze coin about the size of a silver dollar. I know she met a lot of French sailors at the Canteen.

Next is this gorgeous brooch or pin. About an inch and a half by an inch and a half, marked Sterling on the back although looks more like gold, front has gorgeous enamel of the colors of France over the map of France with an eagle on the top.

Also, not pictured is a ribbon from a French sailor's hat. It is about two feet long and has the word "GLORIE" in large gold letters in the middle of the ribbon.
Next image is of two what I take to be RAF patches or insignia...

The next image is Bracelet for a small wrist, marked Sterling on the reverse, wings are rounded to conform with the shape of the wrist, wings are about three inches from tip to tip, I don't know what the insignia in the middle of the two wings means

Next is a pendant of a heart shape made of lucite onto which RAF eagle and crown are mounted

Next image is of a very small pinback, about a half inch tall, with an eagle, the globe and an anchor- not sure whose navy this is

Next are three brass buttons. 3 brass uniform buttons, first is RAF, reverse has the name Adams on it, next is clearly USA, says Scovill Mfg Co on reverse, last is a small brass button of an eagle, don't know which nation

Last pin- Small World War Two pinback, probably RAF, made of copper or bronze, about an inch long

Message 624 of 1,071
latest reply

Are questions regarding the value of WWI & WWII weapons allowed here? My dad is curious to know what his Marine Corps issue weapons are worth. I know they can't be sold on eBay - don't want to sell them. Just looking to value...Thanks for your help! Sue
Message 625 of 1,071
latest reply

I got the pants and the hat from two different places. The daughter told me the hat had belonged to her father who had served during WW II. The best I can read on the hat, it says, "HELMET, FLYERS, NYLON, WINTER." Then there are a bunch of number that hard to read. It says the lining is rayon and acetate and was made by Greenbrier (?) Industries.
The pants are wool with tons of buttons and wide belt loops. The only marking I see is that dark circle thing and a lighter circle behind it that looks like it has the number 8 in it and some other faint marks.
Thanks so much for looking at these for me!

Message 626 of 1,071
latest reply

bridgewaterbobby
Enthusiast
hoofaway

re: post 624 of 626

the "RAF" pin, i dont think it is a RAF pin. it looks like a RCAF.
Royal Canadian Air Force

just my 2 cents

BOBBY
Message 627 of 1,071
latest reply

bridgewaterbobby
Enthusiast
hoofaway,

BTW- if or when do you plan on listing these items?

BOBBY
Message 628 of 1,071
latest reply

swit7

Sue,

I don't think that there would be any breaking of the rules by posting questions about your fathers firearms and a lot of people will be interested in seeing them.

A couple of things to take into concideration:

Good pics are going to be essential.
Any known history. Sea stories don't count, your father will know what I'm talking about.
Only expect opinions, and there will be a lot of different ones. There isn't any "set" price for any of this stuff and so many variables that affect this that the best that could be expected is a range.
Message 629 of 1,071
latest reply

Last Week's - I will start with two Colt 45s. Both are Model 1911 military issue serial # 177747 (1915) and #598577 (1919) according to best look-up info we have put together so far. I'll have to go over to take pictures, this just came up today as one of his buddies at the VFW wanted to buy one from him. They will stay in the family, however. One was his Marine Corps issue, the other from a buddy he served with.
There is also a U.S. Springfield 30.06 sniper rifle, first numbers are 1061785 - the last numbers were obsured by the scope or something, he couldn't read them. The scope seems altered? Not sure about it yet... That's the best I can come up with tonight. I can drive over and get some pictures sometime this week perhaps. Thanks for any help. Sue
Message 630 of 1,071
latest reply