cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Militaria Collector's Corner

robin@ebay.com
Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to the Militaria Collector's Corner!

This is a special thread dedicated to all who love collecting Militaria and would appreciate chatting with others who share this interest! We hope this dedicated little corner will give you a way to more easily meet others in the community that share your interests.

Come in and make yourself at home! Tell us about your Militaria collections, your first piece, your favorite item, your favorite eBay find, share the histories behind your items--share share share!

A picture is always an enjoyable way to share with others, so feel free to use them here. If you need them, instructions for adding images to your posts are available from a thread at the top of this board.

Enjoy! ;0)

Robin
eBay
Community Development
---------------------------------------------------
Click here to read the latest community Newsletter
Click here for information on how to contact eBay with your questions and concerns

Click here to read the rules for posting to our boards.
Robin's About page

Message 1 of 1,071
latest reply
1,070 REPLIES 1,070

Re: Militaria Collector's Corner

mitchman425
Enthusiast

mitchman425
Enthusiast

So I picked up some hunting camo on Ebay from sellers claiming to sell Marpat. They are off color by a lot though, although the jacket says it's made by Propper and the trousers by Tennier. They both have the Eagle Globe & Anchor inlay in he design.

Message 1052 of 1,071
latest reply

geomedal
Enthusiast

The ship SMS GEIER Imperial German Gunboat was captured by the American in 1917 after being interned in Hawaii - I believe. Check out this site if still interested. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Geier 

The item is probably worth some where around $100.00 would be my guess (I'm not an expert on ship pieces). I do collect Imperial German Naval/Colonial medal groups. I would be interested in your item. Army Historian. - email me.

Message 1053 of 1,071
latest reply

I have a vintage Italian Carabinieri uniform that I acquired piecemeal which is now almost complete and generally in fairly good condition with some minor moth damage.The worst moth damage is halfway up the right tail on the red border where there is a few small holes. I can wear the uniform which is quite rare for someone in the United States. I wonder how much it could be worth these days?

Message 1054 of 1,071
latest reply

What era?  Photos of the moth damage would be helpful also.

Message 1055 of 1,071
latest reply

The uniform is still in use as the ceremonial dress uniform of the Carabinieri. I'm adding a photo to show the worst of the moth damage. Not bad considering that the uniform was probably manufactured prior to World War II. The coat is likely to be cut differently than newer coats. Also the tails are mismatched. The original right tail was apparently damaged beyond repair and a different one was sewn in place of the one that was damaged. Yes I have a uniform that survived a battle a bit scarred. Sometimes the buttons can come off the tails. I have seen a picture of a Carabinieri in his dress uniform with a missing button on the tail.

Message 1056 of 1,071
latest reply

dv631107
Enthusiast

Should there people be interested in Axis and Allied Militaria from 1914 to '45, you definitely should check out http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com ! 

Message 1057 of 1,071
latest reply

Wondered if anyone could help out with some pricing for some WWII Air Force Memorabilia I just purchased at an estate sale.

1.  "The Statistical Summary of Eighth Air Force Operations European Theater" - Original copy; was confidential; has been reprinted.  Lists Bombing Operations, Fighter Operations, Order of Battle, etc., for Aug 1942-May 1945

2.  "Air Power & Signals" is a manuscript with a "Passed for publication" sticker on the back (1945) and has some original photos attached to the pages.  It includes Chronological Organizational & Operations Histories of the Eighth Air Force, and History of the Signal Section, VIII Bomber Command (Eighth).

3.  "Mission Successful" is dedicated to the men of the Eighth Air Force by Elliott Roosevelt and George W. Humbrecht.  Book is a collection of aerial photographs apparently taken by bombers of sites like airfields and the Eiffel Tower, as well as the operations of the Eighth.

Do you know a good place to go to get information on these items?  I didn't find anything at all about #2 & 3 on the Internet.

Thanks so much!

Message 1058 of 1,071
latest reply

HI, I AM TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO MIGHT HAVE A U.S.S WALLACE L. LIND DD-703 MEDITTERANEAN CRUISE 1957 BOOK THEY WOULD LIKE TO SELL ON EBAY. I MISSED OUT ON ONE THE OTHER DAY ON EBAY AND REALLY WANT TO FIND ONE FOR MY DAD.THANKS!

Message 1059 of 1,071
latest reply

Looking for information on a Ship ..Torpoed off the coast of Nova Scotia aprox 1944-45.It was on a voyage from New York to Halifax .Name of Ship....Cherokee....any information welcomed .

Message 1060 of 1,071
latest reply

SS CHEROKEE (June 15, 1942)

US passenger/freighter proceeding down from Iceland, joined up with a convoy heading for Boston. On board the freighter were 41 army enlisted men, 4 Russian naval officers and an army air force pilot. Around midnight, two torpedoes from a German U-boat struck the Cherokee causing two huge explosions which sank the ship almost immediately and taking to the depths 89 men including 65 of her crew and one Armed Guard gunner. There were 22 survivors rescued by the US Coast Guard cutter UCCGC Escanaba.

Message 1061 of 1,071
latest reply

Hi all - well I finally found where they hide the discussions on military items.  I wish it were in a separate discussion forum, but anyway just glad I found it.  I was given a hat from the Korean War by the son of my mother's employer. That was back in 1953 and the hat is BRAND NEW.  The time has come for me to downsize and pass some these things off the others.  I do not know if you are allowed to asked how much something may be valued at (even a range),  but, I did find one like it only not in NEW CONDITION, Item #20091286679.  If anyone can even tell me a bit more about the hat, it would be appreciated.  I think it was a dress hat for the ordinary army soldier, but am not sure. I just know it is in remarkably new condition for being 60 years old.

I have a couple of other items that I would like to post here with a picture, but cannot find the directions for posting a picture that are supposed to be at the top of this page.  I have some military insignias that I would like to find out about.  I am a long time seller on eBay, but new to this site so please let me know if there are any rules that I should be following that I do not know about.  Thanks for any information you can give me about the hat.

Hi all - well I finally found where they hide the discussions on military items.  I wish it were in a separate discussion forum, but anyway just glad I found it.  I was given a hat from the Korean War by the son of my mother's employer. That was back in 1953 and the hat is BRAND NEW.  The time has come for me to downsize and pass some these things off the others.  I do not know if you are allowed to asked how much something may be valued at (even a range),  but, I did find one like it only not in NEW CONDITION, Item #20091286679.  If anyone can even tell me a bit more about the hat, it would be appreciated.  I think it was a dress hat for the ordinary army soldier, but am not sure. I just know it is in remarkably new condition for being 60 years old.

I have a couple of other items that I would like to post here with a picture, but cannot find the directions for posting a picture that are supposed to be at the top of this page.  I have some military insignias that I would like to find out about.  I am a long time seller on eBay, but new to this site so please let me know if there are any rules that I should be following that I do not know about.  Thanks for any information you can give me about the hat

Message 1062 of 1,071
latest reply

Hello - I had no Idea there was a Militaria Collectors corner- I previously posted this in another discussion board(so please forgive me if you have seen this already!)

We have quite a few Engineer Design Plans from 1941 for the

USS Baltimore CA-68

They are All on Linen Paper/Graphing paper

Quite a few of them are actually hand drawn originals done in Pencil. the Signatures are all in pen or marker and are actual approval signatures or initials - not printed/copied or stamped. .SHOWS: Supervisor of shipbuilding U.S.N. - signed and dated  (the signature and date are from a felt tip pen/marker and NOT a stamp

the USS Baltimore Cruiser was built in 1941. and completed in 1943 at the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy Ma. (which we live very close too) -Some of the Plans are from General Electric

My Favorite is the Radar and Foremast Assembly

HERE is the item number:   370828779726

We have already listed some of them- so if you would like to see pictures you can look on the listing (the pictures were too large and wouldn't upload here)

Just Curious if anyone has ever seen Originals in pencil on Linen (not printed originals) ?

Message 1063 of 1,071
latest reply

I found 4 of these at an Estate Sale. I have asked MANY people what they thought they were. The most common answer was something for a military phone or radio. Printed on the edge is gepr and on the back it has 10.44. There is printing on both sides of the box. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.  ds4sale818

018.JPG

017.JPG

Message 1064 of 1,071
latest reply

They are German. Stück means basically per or each as in on each. GEPR is some type of proofmark but I have no idea of the meaning. It appears to be a microphone for a telephone handset.

Message 1065 of 1,071
latest reply