cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Perfume

Hello, I was wondering if you folks who sell perfume have trouble with shipping. I have gotten quite a few "old" perfumes at estate auctions and would really like to get them listed. In the past when I've taken the few that I've sold to the post office, I tell them that it is perfume and they look flustered. They've read through their regulations and can't find anything. I end up saying, "It isn't very much. No more than someone would take with them on an airplane. I have it wrapped in paper towel and in a zip-lock." They say, ok. Am I missing something or am I going to have to go through this routine every time? Thanks for any advice.
Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Shipping Perfume

Hi there, just seeing this after forever. I did not say it was illegal I noted it was against Federal Regulations, USPS regulations ect, and that shipping ground is the only acceptable way to ship perfumes.
Message 76 of 80
latest reply

My postal service explained the rules to me on perfume. They said perfume cannot be shipped by air because they use commercial airlines to transport mail. Commercial airlines also carry people to their destinations.  Perfume can be a potential fire hazard and puts passengers at risk. Perfume is to be send ground transportation only. The reason UPS can transport perfumes by air is because they have their own airplanes and they do not carry passengers.

Message 77 of 80
latest reply

Exactly. When anyone steps into the post office there is a sign that shows what can and cannot be shipped by air, fairly easy, but it seems that some are going to do it anyhow because they've done it once and nothing happened. Everyone that chooses to do that needs to ask themselves if they would want someone sneaking a bottle of flammable liquid beneath a plane their child was flying on. More than likely nothing is going to happen but why take the chance when it's against postal regulations and there could potentially be a huge fine? Just ship ground. Or UPS. I was not aware that UPS has their own International flights? I am not sure about that one, perhaps in the US but International?

Message 78 of 80
latest reply

My postmaster says that I can ship perfume first class if it is clearly marked "Surface Mail Only".  It takes just as long to arrive but is less expensive than the ground shipping rate. I also mark each side ORM-D to indicate that it is "Other Restricted Material" and is a consumer commodity. I wrap it with an absorbent material, usually paper towels, place it in a piece of cardboard tubing if it fits, and then in a zip-locked plastic bag. I ship it in a well cushioned box but do not follow the regulation to allow 4" of padding on all sides which I think is overkill. 

I also make it clear in my listing that I ship only to the 48 contiguous United States. I do not ship perfume internationally. My listing also informs the buyer that the shipment is surface mail and will take longer than usual to arrive.

Message 79 of 80
latest reply

Perfume that contains alcohol is considered a Hazardous Material according to federal law when shipping in transportation for commerce (aka you make money) [49 CFR 100-185].  To ship there are specific packing requirements and specific limitation on travel.  Alcohol, n.o.s., UN 1987 falls into hazard class III and is forbidden on passenger aircraft - again when being shipped in commerce. 

Message 80 of 80
latest reply