cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any hair experts here?? Is Pantene really bad for your hair?

I have been told now by 2 different beauticians not to use Pantene and that it is really damaging to hair. I love the Pantene Pro-V conditioner for dry/damaged hair. Is it really that bad? It seems like the only conditioner that has done my hair good. I have long fine blonde hair. I recently got a perm and the beautician told me that it even could strip out my perm if I used it. I would really like some info on this if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Any hair experts here?? Is Pantene really bad for your hair?

Northern,

In response to your question about the Pantene. My hairstylist and another hairstylist at the salon I go to have both told me "Don't use Pantene, it makes your hair fall out".

In all the time I used Pantene products (shampoo, conditioner, styling spritzes, hairspray and some conditioning treatments) I DID NOT have any more hair fall out than any other time or with any other product. If Pantene conditioner works good for you and you are happy with it then I wouldn't change.

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

I am currently a cosmetology student and I have heard that Pantene can be really annoying to hair stylists since it usually builds up quickly and the build up is hard to remove (if you have been a long time fan of it and don't clarify your hair at least once a month, us washing your hair with clarifying shampoo once isn't going to do the trick). The biggest issue with Pantene that I have heard from multiple instructors and hair stylists is that working on the hair of hardcore Pantene users is the wax build up (I was told it was an issue with the waxes in it, not the silicone) ruins hair shears and gets on our other tools. I've heard multiple stories of stylists having to buy brand new shears and brushes (the way they are cleaned doesn't remove the wax well and makes using the brushes unsanitary) after styling hair with Pantene build up. This is annoying because quality hair shears are expensive and they are meant to last a long time. One stylist was so frustrated with one of her clients' hair ruining her shears that she told her that she won't be able to offer her anymore service unless she stops using Pantene.

I haven't personally worked with clients yet so I haven't had a whole ton of experience, but I do know that personally Pantene builds up quickly on my hair, makes my hair oily if I don't wash it daily, and makes my scalp itch nonstop. It took weeks to get all the build up out.

I will say that from my experience as a client and a student, it isn't a particular priority to hair stylists to sell you products. It's a nice incentive for them depending on if they work at a salon that is affiliated with a certain brand of products, but most hair stylists don't push products on people. They're biggest focus is providing a quality service and building up a clientele since that is what brings in the bulk of the money, not selling products.

Message 47 of 63
latest reply

I love Pantene,I am a guy with mid length hair and it works wonders on my hair.  my wife has waist length natural curly hair and she loves it also.  Pantene is the absoblute best hair products you can use.  It costs a bit more and you can find alot of products for 1.00 but they do not do what Pantene do. 

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

I love Pantene and have never had a problem with it. I've been using it for over 20 years off and on (I have several "active" shampoos in the shower at all times) and it's always been great.

Another product I really like is the Organix Argan oil shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner. They really keep my hair soft and manageable.

I don't find shampoos that I don't really care for too often. I usually use mid-higher end products, never the super cheap stuff. That is the only stuff I have had problems with.

In addition to the Paula Begoun books there is another one called something like "can you be addicted to lip balm" which answers all kinds of beauty myths from shampoo to cosmetics to facial treatments. It was pretty informative.

------------------------------

Hi-Ho Cherry*Oh!
Message 49 of 63
latest reply

Not sure if you got your answer but ... Heeey 🙂 I know Your hair and skin have a PH between 4.5 and 5.5. So, finding a shampoo in that range will cleanse your hair but not strip the color or the natural oil it needs.PH is a number on a scale between one to 14 – measuring acidity or alkalinity. Water’s PH is 7 ... This is something that can be tested with ph strips or possibly Google your shampoo to see what the ph ends up being.
Hope this helps !
( Professional Hairstylist)
Lestine Stoner
Message 50 of 63
latest reply

Please don't use Pantene. It broke my hair off in patches. I experienced itching after the first use. I could not pin point it at the time why my head was inching so bad and so I thought I was just experiencing very unusual dry scalp until I used Pantene a 2nd time and I could not believe what happened. My scalp started inching so badly about an hour after using it so I washed the **bleep** out of my hair. I then began to comb my hair and it started breaking off as I combed it. I am so upset because I trusted that company who claim that they swear by their product but it's all a joke. Save your money... The products are terrible as I used both Co-wash & a leave in conditioner. It leaves you feelling like it has lye and breaks your hair causes major damage.. Now I'm stuck with repairing my hair back to a healthy state. That company should be put out of business.

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

What shampoo and conditioner is the best to use on fine natural curly hair? I purchased Macadamia Professional at Ulta but my hair feels really dry and not at all shiny...a little frizzy.

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

Thank you for asking this question. I've been wanting to try and explain to people why Pantene is bad. So I have learned a few scientific information to help clear the air. There are ingredients inside Pantene that because of the amount of those set ingredients and mixing those set ingredients together with other ingredients is what creates the problem. What happens with the hair if you can visually picture it, think of taking baby oil. And you put that on your skin. When you go to rinse off your skin you notice at the water beads up on your skin right? Well that's because mineral oil coats the outside of your skin and it repels water from going into your skin. Also anything that's in your skin cannot Escape out of your skin. So the same thing kind of happens with Pantene it puts a coating on your hair and your scalp and if those coding molecules are large enough that nothing can penetrate into your hair but also your skin and your hair is being coded to the point that also it is not getting oxygen. So at this point your skin is starting to feel suffocated from the products and that's why your scalp starts itching because your body is trying to exfoliate it off of you. It is saying oh my God oh my God I'm going to die get this off. So that's why your scalp starts become flaky and itchy. It is also why when you wash your hair, the hair close to your scalp feels like you haven't washed it yet. On top of that the coating that goes on your hair like I mentioned earlier with the whole baby oil thing, if it puts a layer coating over the hair moisture is not able to get into the hair but like with most products of ingredients as they start to evaporate off of the hair or they get cleansed/detoxed off of the hair it also excretes and takes out moisture from your hair as it's being taken off. Which then leaves your hair more dehydrated then all the sudden you start saying well my hair so dry I need more conditioner. Now all the sudden you're applying more and more of the exact thing that's actually drying your hair out more. That's why I always feel so good the very first time you use it because it's coating the hair but once it's on it stays on there. So every time you wash and condition your hair with Pantene you're applying it more and more and more. Think of it as nail polish when you go to paint your nails what if you let that polish dry and then you did another coat, and then another coat, and you did that over and over 50 times eventually your nails wouldn't look very pretty because you have 50 layers of nail polish on there and Pantene conditioner does that to your hair. I actually have guess that my color services will not deposit onto their hair into their hair, and their highlights will not even lift because of this wax build-up. I see so many articles out there written by people that keep saying Pantene is not bad for your hair it's all a mess. And I could give you the scientific ingredients that are in this that when you take this plus that it creates a whole new ingredient product that is so horrible for your hair and scalp but because they are a huge Procter & Gamble product that company because it's such a mega monster in our world they're going to definitely find any way to prevent or stop any negative feedback on their product.
Message 53 of 63
latest reply

Yes Yes Yes it does! I have just experienced this. Started using Pantene Pro Shampoo and Conditioner and my hair felt like I wasn’t getting all the soap out. This is week three and as of last week my hair has started coming out, clumps in combs, chunks after shampooing! Unbelievable! I have a lot of hair thank goodness and just threw their products in the trash. I could feel something was different with the Pantene but never expected the amount of hair loss I have experienced!!!

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

I too was told to use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner. However, every time I find something that works and if I do not continue with the product my hair goes back to being frizzy, dry and damaged, why?
Message 56 of 63
latest reply

I have used Pantene for about 15 years. I don’t believe it is bad for your hair. I have tried many other more expensive brands only to be disappointed. I highlight my hair but you would never know it. It is still soft. I only use Pantene and once in a while I use matrix biolage. I have tried more expensive shampoos than you can imagine. I only like Pantene and biolage for my hair type. (Thin, highlighted hair)

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

I love Pantene Shampoo and conditioner my experience it works well for thick curly hair.  It smooths it and I can run my comb through better after washing.  Hairdressers all think products available in major drug stores aren't good.  That isn't true.  Obviously Pantene wouldn't sell so well if it wasn't a superior hair product that's the bottom line.  The majority like it and know it works for them.  Affordability isn't going to be the sole selling point, it's been around and successful for a long time.

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

Hair is dead there is no such thing as nourishing hair.  The outcome of any shampoo is to coat it as in condition it to soften or give body to the hair.  If the argument is that cleaning agents are harsh then you may wish to use a sulfate free product.  But if you do not have any scalp or health condition that causes hair loss, no normal shampoo is going to make you lose hair.  

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

I might be repeating I didn't read the other answers but when I was in beauty school my teachers hateddd it! They said it coats the hair and weighs it down. If pro cosmetologists hate it I'd say its not good. It wasn't just because it wasn't a pro brand either it was just pantene!

Message 60 of 63
latest reply