cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017, Very Sad!

Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017. half.com an ebay company  View in: Browser   Dear Seller,

This letter is to inform you that Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017, and you will not be able to sell on the platform following that date. Returns will continue to be processed until October 31, 2017.

We would like to thank you for your support of Half.com – some of you have been with us since we launched in 1999. We have enjoyed being part of your selling journey and wish you ongoing success. For all of your future marketplace needs, visit the eBay Seller Center to learn how to grow your business on eBay.

If you have any questions about this letter, please reach out to us at service@half.com or visit Half.com Closing FAQ for more details.

Sincerely,
The Half.com Team

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Half.com will be closing on August 31, 2017, Very Sad!

Does anyone know how to access the inventory info from HDC now that they're closed?  Their "announcement" (I'd call it more of a secret that you had to dig to find out) says that we can continue to access "my account" until October.  But when I go in I can't see any of my inventory and that's the only place I had all the ISBNs, condition, etc.  I don't want to have to got through all those boxes of books and DVDs again to recreate the wheel.  I am SO annoyed right now.  Couldn't they at least have made an easy migration to ebay for us?  We were here from the start (pre-ebay) and now we're being thrown out like yesterday's trash.

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

I am not pleased one bit with the loss of Half.com. I used to be able to get books for little over $3 with shipping and now the lowest I can get is $7 through Ebay. I see terrible ramification to my small business because of this. I strongly recommend and would greatly appreciate the return of Half.com. Thank you.

Message 48 of 67
latest reply

It is Gone with the Wind

Good Memories 

Message 49 of 67
latest reply

In reply to the question:  Other than Amazon, does anyone have a good alternative selling site recommendation?   The answer is abebooks.com .  I am not a seller, but I've purchased many books from them.  I always searched and compared Amazon, half.com, and abebooks.com for books.

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

I strill remember when I had a bedroom full of books, I used 2 by 4 s to make shelves.

Then I rented one of those storage places full of books for 75.00 a month.

Finally I donated 2000 books to the local libary and hauled a few thousand books to a used book store in a diffrent state for credit. (I think I have used 20.00 of that credit)

I use a kindle to read , I have several thosand books on my kindle fire.

(A lot of them are free ones)

My best find was several boxes of brand new spanish textbooks. A Big amount. I bught them all for 5.00 then went to a diffrent Thrift Store and they had several boxes for another 5.00

I sold those things for 50.00 each like hotcakes.

Then I had a bunch of CDs of a computer video game, they sat there not selling for a couple years, then all at once they sold very fast. Deer Hunter I think it was.

I did have a Dream of getting a giant cargo container put in the back yard full of books and eBay stuff.

Did not happen.

That's life, you plain to do 1 , 2 and 3 and you never get 3 , you just start back to 1

Miss my Friends here, see you on the other side.

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

I am so sad that you have closed Half.com.  I really hope that your decision to do so back fires on your company.  I will not list my stock from Half.com to Ebay.  I will list it somewhere else.  I hope that other sellers will do the same.

Message 52 of 67
latest reply

It appears to be true. I was under the impression that my account info would remain until November and today I was in my inventory to delete a few I had pulled. It only showed me page 73 of my 73 pages( from 2013) and after I deleted the few on that page my entire inventory disappeared and the message is you have no books listed. What. Bummer I can't even look them up by titles. So glad I killed a tree and printed the list of my inventory. I am not sure what I will be doing with my inventory...probably sell a few higher ticket ones on EBay and donate the rest. I will miss the small amount of income it generated for a few years.

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

I WISH I had killed a tree and printed out my inventory!  It is confirmed by so-called "customer service"---my inventory information is gone.  Silly me, thinking that because they would continue to make "my account" available until the end of October, that I actually expected something to be there under "my account".  I have hundreds of books, dvd, and cds that I know have to unbox, find ISBN numbers, note condition, etc. simply because I didn't think ahead of time to kill some trees.  

Oh, how I loved HDC before it was devoured by ebay.  RIP HDC!

Message 54 of 67
latest reply

I was able to get an inventory snapshot about 15 minutes ago, so that should solve your problem.  Go to your account page and request one.  You don't even have to kill any trees.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

Why? When will it return? This is ridiculous. Its far easier to navigate and with better bargains than Ebay.

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

It won't return. It's dead, Jim.

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

Alibris
Message 58 of 67
latest reply

ebay has nothing like it to compare.  Half.com was able to categorize media in a way no other seller has.   Why would they shut down a well organized moneymaker?

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

Well, it wasn't particularly well-organized, or a moneymaker.  For years, there has been no way to update or correct the catalog, and it required a separate staff from the eBay staff to maintain it.  And if I look at my sales , they have been going down precipitously.  Since 2008, the *drop* in sales each year was 42%, 18%, 28%, 45%, 49%, 45%, 55%, -200% (the only year sales went up), and 70% (wiping out the previous gain), for a total decrease of *98%* from 2008 to 2017.  In other words, my sales are 2% of what they used to be.

So it's not surprising that eBay has decided to stop supporting a separate, unprofitable (to them) marketplace.

Message 60 of 67
latest reply