cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Brahmin Bag or Fake???

I just found this cute little backpack style shoulder bag today and couldn't resist buying it.  I noticed a nice hanging medallion and looked it up, to my surprise I discovered an awesome brand I had never heard of, Brahmin!  Naturally, I am now curious to determine if it's authentic or fake.  

According to the Brahmin website, "When purchasing a Brahmin product, look for a few key characteristics that define a genuine Brahmin product, including an official hanging medallion or logo plaque, our chamois interior lining, and our official handbag registration card intact inside the handbag."

Brahmin hanging medallion? Check.

Chamois interior lining? Check.

Official registration card? NOPE

I can't find anything like this on eBay.  I've found a couple items similar (style / exterior texture) elsewhere on the internet, but don't know if those that I've found are authentic, either.  Here are my concerns:  1) It's a gray tweed (?) like front with leather (?) everything else.  2) It does not have feet.  And #3) I can't find "Brahmin" ANYWHERE on the interior.  It's not stamped anywhere, I can't find the tag on the inside, there are no other markings on the interior that identify it as Brahmin.  4) The hanging pocket on the inside has a vinyl-like material back, not leather.

Why I believe it could possibly be authentic: 1) Brahmin medallion looks legit. 🙂   2) On the shoulder straps, to adjust it, the  back of the "pegs" that go into the holes have Brahmin embossed on them.  

Please see pictures.  I'd really love some feedback / opinions on this, whether it's real or fake, and / or a Collection name!  Thanks in advance for your time!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Vintage Brahmin Bag or Fake???

I have a Brahmin that has vinyl on the back of the hanging pocket. I wish I could upload photos of mine. I think yours is genuine.
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

I was just on a web site how to identify designer handbags and for Brahmin they reported that they hadn't come across any faked handbags up to that point.  Also, Brahmin bags were at one point being assembled in China and not to be concerned if there is a 'Made in China' tag on the inside.  I think you have an authentic Brahmin bag.  Congrats!

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

I was just on a web site on how to identify authentic designer handbags and for Brahmin it was reported that they hadn't found any faked handbags as of that date.  Also, Brahmin handbags were assembled in China and to not be alarmed if you see a 'Made in China' tag on the inside.  I believe you have an authentic Brahmin handbag.

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

A
Message 19 of 39
latest reply

Can anyone tell me if this is fake or not?
Message 20 of 39
latest reply

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

The older bags are totally different from the bags that they make now.  For an example they had leather pockets on the interior as the one you have and also they did not have the Brahmin signature on the lining.   Not all handbags have them a Dallion but there should be a tag sewn in near the bottom perhaps that says Brahmin and even can also say made in China because they did make them in China.  I think your bag is very charming and I would think it to be an authentic vintage Brahmin 

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

Also after looking at the pictures again the brass hardware says a lot and the brass toggle and the matching leather that holds it looks also authentic. The brass toggle style was used in the earlier styles years ago. Not all of the brass rings were signatures back then as they are now.  You could also send these pictures to Brahmin via email and they will answer the questions if it concerns you but I think this is definitely authentic   I am a collector of vintage and current Brahmin's owning over 90  pieces personally 

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

Do you know if mine is real or fake 

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

You need to start a new thread.  This is an old one.

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

I was given a bag just today but I'm not sure it's real. Tag in the corner says Brahmin on one side and Made in China on the other. The lining is plain but kakhi soft material. The inside has a middle zipper section that can be removed. It has everything that looks right on the bag except it is stiff. The handles are not padded and they are stiff too.  It has the toggle on the front and the brass logo on the inside. I'm just not sure it's leather. Are older Brahmin bags stiff? Thanks

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@zyanyatreasures wrote:

I was given a bag just today but I'm not sure it's real. Tag in the corner says Brahmin on one side and Made in China on the other. The lining is plain but kakhi soft material. The inside has a middle zipper section that can be removed. It has everything that looks right on the bag except it is stiff. The handles are not padded and they are stiff too.  It has the toggle on the front and the brass logo on the inside. I'm just not sure it's leather. Are older Brahmin bags stiff? Thanks

@zyanyatreasures

You should start a new thread with "Brahmin authentication" in the title and pictures of the bag, outside and in.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

They (Brahmin) didn't start making the softer, pliable leathers until this Millennia. Some folks prefer the older "Hard Sides", whilst the other camp is all about the sleeker Newer ones. I have had hundreds of these pass thru my hands over the years, and love them all! I have several that are from the late 1980's and 90's, and still carry them beautifully. I can't say yet how the newer ones will endure the decades future, but the hard sides I clean & condition every year, still are CLASSIC, FRESH looking, and gather compliments. People don't believe me when I tell them how old they are. And about the handles--that "padded" concept design is new. They have an amazing variety of straps & handles! I even have one with braided leather cord-like "whip" straps! If your "brass logo on the inside" is an elongated slim oval, your bag is most likely from the late 1990's/ early millennia. Alot of smaller bags especially had just the plain chamois lining~ for many, many years. Hope this helps!
Message 28 of 39
latest reply

They (Brahmin) didn't start making the softer, pliable leathers until this Millennia. Some folks prefer the older "Hard Sides", whilst the other camp is all about the sleeker Newer ones. I have had hundreds of these pass thru my hands over the years, and love them all! I have several that are from the late 1980's and 90's, and still carry them beautifully. I can't say yet how the newer ones will endure the decades future, but the hard sides I clean & condition every year, still are CLASSIC, FRESH looking, and gather compliments. People don't believe me when I tell them how old they are. And about the handles--that "padded" concept design is new. They have an amazing variety of straps & handles! I even have one with braided leather cord-like "whip" straps! If your "brass logo on the inside" is an elongated slim oval, your bag is most likely from the late 1990's/ early millennia. Alot of smaller bags especially had just the plain chamois lining~ for many, many years. And although the earlier purses were made in Fairhaven Mass., as they have grown and spread, the company does admit they have had to get production help from 'overseas', but that they keep strict quality controls so that any overseas produced item is indistinguishable from the U.S made bags. Hope this helps!

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

I've been researching authenticity issues regarding both Dooney & Bourke and Brahmin items. An authentic Brahmin purse USUALLY has the logo embossed into the leather interior. I would have to say that Brahmin would never use vinyl an any of their items.  That is my opinion though.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply