cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Brahmin Bag or Fake???

I just found this cute little backpack style shoulder bag today and couldn't resist buying it.  I noticed a nice hanging medallion and looked it up, to my surprise I discovered an awesome brand I had never heard of, Brahmin!  Naturally, I am now curious to determine if it's authentic or fake.  

According to the Brahmin website, "When purchasing a Brahmin product, look for a few key characteristics that define a genuine Brahmin product, including an official hanging medallion or logo plaque, our chamois interior lining, and our official handbag registration card intact inside the handbag."

Brahmin hanging medallion? Check.

Chamois interior lining? Check.

Official registration card? NOPE

I can't find anything like this on eBay.  I've found a couple items similar (style / exterior texture) elsewhere on the internet, but don't know if those that I've found are authentic, either.  Here are my concerns:  1) It's a gray tweed (?) like front with leather (?) everything else.  2) It does not have feet.  And #3) I can't find "Brahmin" ANYWHERE on the interior.  It's not stamped anywhere, I can't find the tag on the inside, there are no other markings on the interior that identify it as Brahmin.  4) The hanging pocket on the inside has a vinyl-like material back, not leather.

Why I believe it could possibly be authentic: 1) Brahmin medallion looks legit. 🙂   2) On the shoulder straps, to adjust it, the  back of the "pegs" that go into the holes have Brahmin embossed on them.  

Please see pictures.  I'd really love some feedback / opinions on this, whether it's real or fake, and / or a Collection name!  Thanks in advance for your time!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Vintage Brahmin Bag or Fake???

I have to add the other pictures in a reply since it only allows 4 pictures 🙂

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Did you ever find out? I also am wondering about the vinyl interior in mine!
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

I wouldn't think a bag of this caliber would have vinyl interior.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

There would have to be an interior label.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

The interior lining itself is the soft chamois material. It's just the back of the hanging pocket that is vinyl. But that was my concern - would a high end bag have vinyl in it anywhere? Would Brahmin have used this in their very early years?
Someone had mentioned that this looks like at "Sport II," which is based off the original "Sport." But I can't find any info on that collection.
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

I don't know if this is allowed, but here is a link to the other backpack that is almost identical to this one, mine is obviously fabric and leather, not all leather. Of course, I don't know if that one is authentic either, though.
http://posh-boutique-fleming-island.myshopify.com/products/brahmin-black-leather-croco-textured-back...

And here is a link to another bag advertised as Brahmin that also has the gray tweed and leather :
http://www.retrodesignerdeals.com/catalog/item/2325477/9197140.htm
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Just a comment on what they suggest you look for.

Fobs/hang tags can be faked so that proves nothing. Also, some users don't like having things dangling from the bag so they remove them.

As for paperwork, that to can get removed, lost or misplaced, often before even being sold in the store.

Is there a black ribbon-type tag/label sewn into the lining seam that says "made in China?"
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

No, i can't find a tag anywhere on the inside of the bag. That was my biggest concern, that the only thing identifying it as Brahmin is the medallion and the embossed (stamped?) hardware to adjust the straps. The second concern is the vinyl backing on the hanging pocket.
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

I have come across this discussion on the Brahmin in question - being authentic or fake and find myself in the same position!

It was only when I got this bag out of the cupboard last night (was a gift a number of years ago) to put on auction - did I discover a brand name tag 'Brahmin' right at the bottom of the bag and on the other side 'made in China'. Then after getting on the internet did I discover the dilemna regarding the authenticity of these handbags. There was never ever any name tag or brass medallion on the bag when I received it. 

My handbag also has the name Brahmin stamped on the back of brass strap adjustors as well as a serial number 1974222 (on brass closure stud)  which has not brought forth any further info.

Please if you are able to enlighten me any further I would appreciate it - many thanks. 

Photos attached if any help. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

I've collected Brahmin bags for years, since the company first started making high-quality bags in Maine (YAY!! Made in USA!) in the 1980s.  Yours is the genuine article.  Someone else mentioned vinyl interior -- NOPE -- never on a genuine Brahmin.  You can send photos to the Brahmin website and register your bag that way.  I even had one repaired after it met a very naughty dog. Only $50 and the bag came back looking like it did when I bought it.  Perfect.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

This looks real to me. But it's an older one, maybe 80s? I once emailed photos of an old one directly to Brahmin in Massachusetts and they were able to identify the style for me although they said they had to ask someone who had been there a long time. And FYI, these used to be made in mass. ( not Maine as someone mentioned) but I believe are all made now in China except for some sample bags. Still great high end quality. I don't think you'll get much for this on eBay. They all seem to want only the newer styles. I say use it yourself!

Dee

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

vynal interior is a fake= sorry

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

I'm considering purchasing one from here also the materila looks chamois like mine. But it does not have the Brahmin log written in the inside. Everything else looks identical to the one I purchased from Dillard'?

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

I emiled the company to ask abot the MADE IN CHINA and they responded the following:

Hello vanessa,

Our handbags are manufactured here in Fairhaven, MA as well as overseas.  Unfortunately, it is not a large enough facility to produce the excessive demand of our products. Therefore, we have employed additional manufacturing overseas. We do, however, maintain all of our design, development, and operations right here in MA. Rest assured all of our products are manufactured with the same quality and care wherever they are produced.

Best regards,
Laticyah
Customer By Service Web (vanessa Martin) (03/11/2016 05:38 PM)
Are bags from your line really made in China
Question Reference # 160311-000580
Message 15 of 39
latest reply