cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had my 1st bad customer in 14 years.

This is a new thing for me.  A customer purchases my item for sale and then switches their old parts with my new parts or puts my new parts on their old item and then says the item was not as described and damaged during shipping.  I don't want a return since I'd be getting old parts on my new item (long story how I found out) but I don't want to keep giving more refunds & losing all  my profit since I sold it way cheaper than I should have.  Then, I didn't take out full insurance on the price.  I messed up, but like I said it was the first time I experienced this.  Ebay helped me resolve the problem but I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. Sincerely, Too Naive 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@jenijensong wrote:

This is a new thing for me.  A customer purchases my item for sale and then switches their old parts with my new parts or puts my new parts on their old item and then says the item was not as described and damaged during shipping.  I don't want a return since I'd be getting old parts on my new item (long story how I found out) but I don't want to keep giving more refunds & losing all  my profit since I sold it way cheaper than I should have.  Then, I didn't take out full insurance on the price.  I messed up, but like I said it was the first time I experienced this.  Ebay helped me resolve the problem but I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. Sincerely, Too Naive 

I'm not sure what you are saying, is this close or what. If buyer submits items not as described claim through eBay, because it is damaged, you need to respond, either accept the claim and submit a return label and risk getting the replaced damaged old parts back, or maybe your actual parts. You can accept and refund automatically without getting the parts back. 

You also can ignore/deny claim, and eBay will issue refund to buyer, and let them keep the parts. Me, depending on the value of item/shipping, since you are paying for the return shipping, I will opt to get the parts back and issue the refund. At the very least, don't make it easier for them. 

The part of selling the item bellow cost is irrelevant, in the end you will have to refund. When it comes to eBay, always remember that:

1) Buyer is always right

2) Seller is always wrong

3) Never sell anything you can't afford to loose

4) When in doubt, go back and re-read from 1)

Finally, what do you mean with eBay helped you resolve the problem. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Insurance has nothing to do with what you are stating. Only 'if' the item is damaged and the buyer reports it immediately showing obvious damage to the outside package itself, would insurance pay anything. Then, because the insurance is paid for by the seller, the seller has to open the 'case' with the carrier and then the 'buyer' has to be willing to take it to the carrier, should they require (which they have been doing much more nowadays) and the buyer is NOT required to do anything. 

The only thing the buyer is required to do is file for a 'return for refund' and the seller has no choice but to either 'accept the return' or just 'refund'. 

What was done to you needs to be reported to the buyers local police, your local police, mail fraud and IC3 (Feds) and only if/when that buyer makes a habit enough for these entities to 'notice' will something be done. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

this is just a case of return abuse

its actually theft if they send back another part instead of the good part

return abuse goes along with returns.

most of my returns come back exactly how I sent them

sorry this happened to you. return  abuse is a common issue but not switched parts

@jenijensong 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@jenijensong,

"A customer purchases my item for sale and then switches their old parts with my new parts or puts my new parts on their old item and then says the item was not as described and damaged during shipping".

Given that you posted on the Electronics board, I would have to assume that this is about the turn table you recently sold. There are only a few things a buyer could "switch out" on those units and they would be hard to remove and replace.  Chances are if they were going to return the item, they would return a completely unit.  You could protect yourself from that by posting a photo of or just the serial number in the description. 

If you had received a different unit back, as the serial number would indicate,  you would have several options for getting your payment restored, as @stainlessenginecovers  posted.  Starting with contacting the local police in the buyer's area, and reporting mail fraud to the USPS postal inspectors.  The IC3 isn't very helpful in these situations. If they found in your favor you could use the report buyer button in the abusive buyer policy (link below)

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/abusive-buyer-policy?id=4374

It is also possible the buyer was right about shipping damage.  Those turn tables do require re-adjustment of the linear tracking system, which may also be thrown off by rough handling. Especially, if you did not have the original box the unit came in. 

"I don't want a return since I'd be getting old parts on my new item (long story how I found out) but I don't want to keep giving more refunds & losing all my profit since I sold it way cheaper than I should have".

The only way you could find out if you received different parts or a different item back, and be able to prove that you received replaced parts or a different unit, would be to accept the return. 

There aren't that many ways you can find out if the buyer has a habit of doing what you think they have done.  Their feedback profile, or social media accounts are easy to look up.   As for the price you received it, you did get swell more than the trending price for the item, so it might have been worth it to accept the return. 

"Ebay helped me resolve the problem but I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else".

Since ebay apparently did side with you, it was because you provided proof of the buyer's activities.  That in itself is rare, since 99.9% of the time they side with buyers, when not as described disputes have been filed. 

Unfortunately, because you chose not to describe how you got the info that helped you out, your "warning" doesn't do other seller's any good.  That info is what would be helpful.  People have been returning items with different and even missing parts,  their damaged items, and even packages with things like rocks in them, since ebay started and before they had a money back guarantee. 

"I didn't take out full insurance on the price".

Insurance, is for a seller's protection only, and shipping companies tend to try and absolve themselves from admitting they caused damage.  Still it is better to have it, than not to.  Getting buyer's to work with you and/or the shipping agencies isn't always easy either. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Exactly how did eBay help you resolve the problem?

So you are saying the buyer opened an NAD case and returned his old nonfunctioning item instead of your new item that you sent? 

And what "insurance" do you think could have protected you in this case?  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Ty for that.  I do understand what you are saying.  I didn't tell the whole story because I thought it was just too long.  I will try to take some time in the near future to make a summary that is helpful to other sellers and post it on the sellers board, once I learn how to do that.  By not explaining what does someone learn from my experience?.....got it.   TY for taking the time to help me.  I'm a bit naive when it comes to scams and I automatically trust people until they show me they can't be trusted.  My friends don't like the too friendly, trusting, naive outlook I have but I have never experienced any bad situations before so it's like first trying to work a computer for the first time at 60 years old.   You learn by experiencing it.  But I am devastated to now read some of the things sellers and others are posting.  I have been wearing blinders regarding problems with customers for too long I guess.  I am going to make some changes.  I did get some good advice from a few nice people like you and I'm going to take it and try to keep informed and inform others.   Thanks again. Jeanette 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Dang, one bad customer in 14 years-you are doing great!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hi:  Well I didn't explain the whole situation, your right so I will post a summary when I get a chance explaining exactly what happened.  I just thought it was too long but now after reading these posts I realize that the missing information is the important part to learn from.  Ok.  TY for showing me that.  The buyer is always right....I didn't know that.  Like I said I don't run into any real problems so I have little experience in this area.  The seller is always wrong.  I don't like that I guess I'm lucky to have the situation completed in my favor.  Never sell anything you can't afford to loose.....wow.  I'm in shock but I guess a wake up call is needed here, times are changing and not for the better.  I like your list.  TY for that.  I'm going to learn from it.  Sincerely, Jeanette  

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Hi:  Wow do I really have to take drastic action like that when these problems come up?  I am so far behind in the times.  TY.  I've got to wake up!!  Sincerely, Jeanette

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hi Rockstar:  First I'd like to say I love your pic.  Next, I love a good biblical reference.  Now I want to ty for your advice.  Sincerely, Jeanette

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Hi:  Well because I filed a claim with the post office even just for the priority mail shipping 50 dollars, well it was denied, I appealed it was denied.......Ebay credited me the 50.  Luckily this person talked a lot in their messages and I was able to show that they said they did not have internet access, out of state, yet they contacted me through ebay messages and I responded in two minutes and Ebay saw that they had lied...boy is this a long story.  Well anyway Ebay credited me the 50.00 that the post office denied me due to the fact that she would not take the item into the carrier as per the letter she received.  I'm going to make a good summary and post it regarding what had happened.  TY for taking the time to give me some advice.  I'm really going to take it to heart.  Sincerely, Jeanette

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Hi:  So for example.  I washed the lid, well the whole unit 2x in white vinegar to get the dust off.  It was like new.  Anyway she sent me a photo of a lid with a chip and the lid had spots all over it.  I know that can't be my lid because I washed it like I said.  Nothing leaves my home without a good cleaning.  So I knew right away something was amiss.  Then she said she hooked it up an the mute button kept going on in the middle of the record playing and that the stylus was not functioning properly.  I had crated the item in wood and padded it so well I could have thrown it on the ground and it would not have been able to budge a cm.  Anyway such a long story... I'm gong to try to summarize it for later and post it in a brief like manner.   TY for your help I really do appreciate everything everyone is being helpful.  Sincerely, Jeanette

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi:  Well my claim for the 50 priority mail was denied.  Appealed and denied because the customer stated she was out of town with no internet access or wifi or cellphone and yet she messaged me lol and I messaged her back with no response due to she has no access yet she messaged me lol.  Anyway Ebay saw that she was lying and that she would not go to the postal carrier to have them inspect the damage so Ebay credited me the 50 dollars that I should have got for the claim which I appreciated highly.  I don't know what a NAD case is.  I proved to Ebay that the customer was lying and they stood up for me and sent her a message that if she didn't respond in 48 hours that her case was closed, the issue was resolved and she could not pursue any other action for a refund or a return.  I thought that was normal but I'm learning it's not.  Like I was trying to explain I haven't run into these situations before.  So I hope that answers the questions your asking.  TY for responding.  Sincerely, Jeanette

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi:  OHHHHHH LOL x 5 !!!   TY for that I am super smiling.  I did not know that there were bad customers out there lol I'm so stupid.  I am now experiencing I guess what is Ebay normalcy from what I'm reading.  But TY for the laugh & the smile.  Sincerely, Jeanette

Message 15 of 16
latest reply