cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think this is a good reason to cancel an order?

I posted my first item today. I did the offer option and I had someone offer the exact amount I posted it for. I was confused as to why they didn't just do "Buy Now," but I still accepted it. I messaged them the invoice and said that I need them to confirm that they agree to this order. Its a policy of mine (I also sell on TCG Player) that any order that is $20 or more I send a confirmation message before I ship.

They sent me a message saying that they wanted my phone number before they agree to the purchase. I told them no, all messaging can be done through eBay. Looking at their account there are some red flags. 1. obviously asking for my phone number. 2. The shipping address is within the united states, but their account is based in Europe. 

I told them that they need to confirm they agree to this order, confirm the address they posted, and pay in full buy Friday (05/20) 2pm. If they don't do that and I cancel the order will that hurt me? Or should I wait the 4 days eBay recommends. I turned off the "offer option" on my other listings.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Wait the 4 days and then cancel for reason buyer did not pay.    Any buyer that makes an offer equal to the BIN price is a scammer.     They want your paypal address so they can send you a fake paid email.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Wait the 4 days and then cancel for reason buyer did not pay.    Any buyer that makes an offer equal to the BIN price is a scammer.     They want your paypal address so they can send you a fake paid email.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Shipping address within the US, but account based in Europe:  So this buyer is using a freight forwarder.

Be careful what reason you use for cancelling.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

i am interested

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I send reminders that payment must be received before I will ship out an order. If payment is not made after the 1st day, I send the first reminder. If payment is not made by the 3rd day another reminder is sent and if payment is not made by the 4th day, I send another reminder that in the next day or two the order will be cancelled for non payment. Then the item is relisted.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Once you accept the offer, there is no need to invoice the buyer. That is all automatic through eBay. There have been some post that might point to eBay resetting the clock for number of days you can cancel. Unless there was a number of items bought from different auctions/listings, to combine payment and shipping, there never is a need to send that invoice. The buyers know they bought and don't need a reminder. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@treasureboxgoodies,

"I messaged them the invoice and said that I need them to confirm that they agree to this order.  Its a policy of mine".

There is no reason for you to ask a buyer if they agree to anything. If a person clicks on Buy It Now, Wins an auction or You/they accept an offer, They have committed to buy which is a contract to pay.  If they do not pay, within 3 days on the 4th day you can cancel the transaction without penalty. 

"They sent me a message saying that they wanted my phone number before they agree to the purchase...".

You are a new seller and scammers look for newbies to try and scam. They want to take messaging off ebay often by texting instead of using ebay messages.  Sometimes they offer to not only pay for the item, but to send more money and ask the new seller to buy ebay gift cards, that can be packed with the item they bought, and they offer to add some money for the extra service as well.  All of that is part of a scam.

" I turned off the "offer option" on my other listings".

That is up to you, but it can be a helpful way to make sales.  I suggest setting up the auto accept decline feature to items you place Best offer on to weed out the low ball ones and to set what is basically the lowest price you would accept for a fixed price item. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/adding-best-offer-listing-using-reply-offer?id=4144

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply