cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madame Alexander Poly Pigtails?

Got this at a pre-estate sale - supposedly from the 50's when the owner made some clothing for her for a high school project - said she is Polly Pigtails.  I could not find any markings except for pencil notation.  Condition not very good, so may be candidate for trashing.   So - questions is whether she is PP or not a MA at all.  Thanks.

MA POLLY PIGTAILS (1)-02.JPGMA POLLY PIGTAILS (2)-03.JPGMA POLLY PIGTAILS (4)-04.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Madame Alexander Poly Pigtails?

Firstly, this is just a tragic example.

But there is good news and bad news. The good news is, yes, this is a Madame Alexander doll. She has the Maggie face. This face was used for more than 30 dolls, including Polly Pigtails, but without the actual pigtails and PP clothing, she could be anyone.

You can read more here on DollReference (not a selling site) :

Alexander Dolls 1948-1960s (dollreference.com)

The bad news, you already know. The doll is in terrible condition. I think she is covered in a certain type of mold that attacks hard plastic. She may have "hard plastic" odor. It resembles baby milk vomit. Honest.

But! If you disclose everything and show photos of the doll nude (I would scrap the clothing - unless there is something original underneath or shoes and socks), someone may want to try to rehab her.  A doll collector will have their own methods of cleaning her. The wig appears to be mohair from here. 

You can also google ''alexander maggie doll" to see other examples too. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@old-child

Thanks so much for the detailed and helpful response.  I didn't realize these ebay forums had smell-o-vision, but you really nailed the aroma from this doll.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Smell-o-vision is just one of our many services here on the doll board. LOL!!

Is aroma the kind word for stench? 

Good luck with this doll/sale. Hate to see her tossed because of her um, attributes.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply