cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yuroz serigraph id

i would like to know what i have here. it appears to be a large serigraph by yuroz any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: yuroz serigraph id

You posted duplicate threads on this and it appears the one with replies from Lacemaker and from me was deleted.  Duplicate threads always cause problems.

Anyhow, my reply was along the lines of (a) my being unable to determine what sort of print / reproduction this is, based on your photos and (b) the title of the work being "The Music In Her Soul," per this:

https://www.barnettfineart.com/artists/yuroz/

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

My reply was to the effect that this doesn't appear to be a serigraph (silk-screen print) because it is signed in the image, which is not the usual way it is done for serigraphs. They are usually signed in pencil under the image, with the title in the middle and the print # and edition size on the left written as a fraction. Paintings (and reproductions of them) are more likely to be signed in the image.

Since @maxine*j has identified the title, I can see that the picture, which is identified as a "serigraph on canvas", does not have a signature in the image.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

thanks for your help

im new at this message board so i thought my first post didnt work  obviosly it did.  thanks again

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

what is it then?
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

My reply was to the effect that this doesn't appear to be a serigraph (silk-screen print) because it is signed in the image, which is not the usual way it is done for serigraphs. They are usually signed in pencil under the image, with the title in the middle and the print # and edition size on the left written as a fraction. Paintings (and reproductions of them) are more likely to be signed in the image.

Since @maxine*j has identified the title, I can see that the picture, which is identified as a "serigraph on canvas", does not have a signature in the image.

I believe there is a signature in the image as well as a date ('79 I think.)   The other Yuroz seripgraphs I see in this link are also signed in the image.

https://www.yurozart.com/paints/?p=view&c=23&paintid=19&size=0

I think size might matter in this case.  The serigraph of the OP if it is one, should measure 36" x 48".

Rita

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Measure it to see if it's 36" x 48" like the serigraphs in the links in Maxine's and my posts.

Rita

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

I believe there is a signature in the image as well as a date ('79 I think.)   The other Yuroz seripgraphs I see in this link are also signed in the image.

https://www.yurozart.com/paints/?p=view&c=23&paintid=19&size=0

I think size might matter in this case.  The serigraph of the OP if it is one, should measure 36" x 48".

Rita

These do not look the same to me at all. If these are both serigraphs, they should be identical, or very close to it. The second picture is the best (highest resolution) picture I could find, that is identified as a "Serigraph on canvas". (Click the link for the full picture.)

OP's piece with signature in plateOP's piece with signature in plate

Serigraph on canvasSerigraph on canvas

The signatures (there appear to be two) on the "Serigraph on canvas" look very different from the signature on OP's piece. I couldn't see the signatures in the links that were posted earlier, because they weren't high-enough resolution, but I can see them in this picture. But, the various sites that are showing the "Serigraph on canvas" do appear to be showing identical prints, allowing for the low-resolution pictures.

OP's piece appears to be different from the Serigraphs. In addition to the signature being in a different place, and no date, there are also what appear to be brush-strokes that are different between the two versions of this piece. 

I don't know how the artist Yuroz usually works, so this is speculation. Sometimes, an artist will make limited edition prints that are based on an original work, an original painting. So it is possible that the serigraphs he produced are based on an original painting. I think that might be the case here. The serigraphs are reproductions, or they might be considered related or derivative works, that are based on an original painting.

I suspect that OP's piece is probably a reproduction of the original painting that the serigraphs are based on. @31usa15 has not said that the piece appears to be an original painting, that is why I am not suggesting that it might be the original painting. 

The artist Yuroz is well-known and appears to be commercially successful. He has produced at least two other works with the same title, and similar images, that are very definitely not the same piece. I found a watercolor mixed media painting showing people in similar poses, and a wood engraving with more differences in the poses, both with the same title. So he does produce works on a theme, or derivative works, which supports the idea that he produced the serigraphs as reproductions or derivative works based on an original. That would explain the very painterly effect of both versions of the piece, which are much more like a painting than a traditional serigraph.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply