eve leaf II 1/350

i have this serigraph   its called leaf II and done ny the artist eve   1/350

i would like to know if this is valuable or not .  any information will help

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eve leaf II 1/350

It's valuable if you like it and enjoy looking at it. 

As for monetary, this will give you an idea of how Eve Shpritser prints and reproductions are priced on the retail market:

https://www.art.com/gallery/id--a756936/eve-posters.htm

https://www.art.com/gallery/id--a4313/eve-shpritser-posters.htm

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

eve leaf II 1/350

Here's something I've sometimes wondered about in passing, not being an art dealer or collector myself. In general, when it comes to a collectible limited edition print, is it better to have number 1 than (say) number 37 of the series? Does the first in a series have some sort of premium?  Or does it make absolutely no difference to a collector?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eve leaf II 1/350

@argon38 wrote:

Here's something I've sometimes wondered about in passing, not being an art dealer or collector myself. In general, when it comes to a collectible limited edition print, is it better to have number 1 than (say) number 37 of the series? Does the first in a series have some sort of premium?  Or does it make absolutely no difference to a collector?

It would be the collector's personal preference. Most of the time, the artist will make sure that there is no discernable difference except for the number. The prints are produced in batches, all processed together through each stage of the production process, so it is not usually possible to know which of the impressions was produced in what order. 

The only time when a difference would be expected would be in an engraving done on a metal plate. As opposed to an etching, which is also done on a metal plate, with an engraving the lines are produced by handtools, and there may be fine burrs of metal raised along the lines, which will catch the ink and affect how the image is produced when the plate is printed. These burrs are very delicate and will be quickly worn down by the pressure of the printing press. Because of this, engravings are usually done in smaller runs, so that quality can be maintained.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

eve leaf II 1/350

@argon38 wrote:

There are a lot of variables, including the ones Lacemaker mentions, but a general answer:

If it's an actual art print, hands-on and overseen by the artist, a lower number is more valuable to collectors, who see it as being closer to the artist.  Once upon a time, long ago, when "Artist's Proof" actually meant something, an AP was even better than a low number.  It's sort of like book collecting, where a first edition, first print is more valuable because it is seen as an artifact that is somehow "closer" to the author.

As for more-or-less mass produced so-called prints, which are mostly reproductions, amateur collectors and resellers care about the number in the sequence but most serious people don't, just as they smile at hundreds of APs in one edition, and COAs.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eve leaf II 1/350

Excellent and enlightening answers from you both, many thanks.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply