cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found this at an Estate sale. Can you help me identify?

I found this at a sale and just had to buy it!  Can you help me identify it?  Thanks in advance. MickeyChampion Throwers TrophyChampion Throwers TrophyCloserCloser

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Found this at an Estate sale. Can you help me identify?

-Mickey, I haven't thought of this in decades but a college friend of mine had something similar!

-A  polished cow horn engraved  "CHAMPION THROWER" . No fancy silver holder like yours - hers was on a chain.

- She grew up on a farm & was active in the local 4H club...At the county fair their club exhibited stuff, but the 4H kids had an informal competition of their own every year with a "CHAMPION THROWER" cow horn as the prize.

-Ha-ha! What they were throwing for distance were COW CHIPS!!!  (If you don't know what those are, my friend google can tell you)

-Don't know what yours is for, but thanks for the kick down memory lane.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

The type of horn might give a clue as to what was being thrown.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

The Scots had elaborate mounted horns. And they had cattle/sheep, etc to work with. Made them into snuff containers; made then into trophies, presentation pieces.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Thanks YankeeBob!  That's probably the closest we've come to an identity.  With everything else that's been written, I'm going to go with:

Antique Silver Hoofed Cow Horn Trophy

You are bidding on an antique silver-hoofed cow horn trophy.  It might have been used as an award in a horse shoe throwing contest or perhaps in a cow throwing contest at a Rodeo.  It is 5" high and has an engraved silver "hoof".  The horn is engraved: "Champion Throwers Trophy Won By Possessor" which may mean it was a trophy passed from winner to winner as new champions came along since there is no name on it.  This  old relic of a much earlier era is in very good preowned condition.

You eBayers have been very helpful and I thank you all.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

That's a great idea too!  I might have to edit my description before I list it!

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I must have missed a post where you found a Sterling or other silver assay mark on it. If it is not sterling (or another assay mark) and the buyer hires someone like me to appraise it with you saying it is... they can file a serious complaint against you. Did someone say it was?

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

To recap. it really looks like silverplate which is not referred to as silver.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

There was just the one "Corpuscle Cup," a red ceramic thing that looked sort of like a big drop of blood

"Corpuscle Cup" laughing

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

You're right...I should just say silver metal or silver plate.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Perhaps a cow chip tossing champ? No dates so an informal thing that gets passed around among club members?

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Winner of the annual cow patty throwing contest

Message 26 of 26
latest reply