cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I please have help in identifying the work? Thank you.

Hello, I would like to know the value of this Utagawa Hiroshige II Oban Tate-e work.  (100 Views of the Various Provinces (Shokoku Meisho Hyakkei)

I'm not sure if I should list it on Ebay or a reputable auction house.

Takiguchiyama, Bizen Province

It is in very good condition.

9 9/16" x 14"

IMG_1633.jpgIMG_1634.jpgIMG_1635.jpgHelloIMG_1637.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Can I please have help in identifying the work? Thank you.

Here are  a number of comparables for you to review.  We here on the Board don't appraise or give values of items.  You can check the sold items like yours on eBay to determine whether you want to list here, and many auction houses will offer free appraisals online. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Utagawa+Hiroshige+II+Oban+Tate-e&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS813US815&sourceid=c...

Rita

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@splendidgoodtidings 

Very lovely Hiroshige!

Please take it to a reputable art museum to have it authenticated -- if it is an authentic Hiroshige, it is probably unsafe to sell it on eBay.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Yes, but...OP can save a step and simply get ahold of one of the larger auction houses who will visually authenticate it prior to inspecting it 'in hand' and give you a potential value. Done that many times. The only hitch I see in that there are the auction house minimum values for consignment to meet if you consign. For single items, it is common to see that at $5,000.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 

" The only hitch I see in that there are the auction house minimum values for consignment to meet if you consign. For single items, it is common to see that at $5,000."

Very true -- but most of the reputable art museums will examine such a piece without cost, and may offer the OP a good price to purchase it for their own displays, or arrange a temporary "museum loan" for the piece, with full acknowledgement of the OP as owner.  

And these temporary "museum loans" do occasionally result in wealthy investors and/or other museums, who may wish to purchase the items for their own collections.

In which case, the OP has eliminated the need to feed an auction house their percentage of the deal.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Sorry, that's not right either.  Only in extraordinary circumstances will a museum offer to buy and that is not what is on the table with OP's print. In 40-odd years I've only had one museum express interest in what I've written them for identification of what I've had. I'm just getting around to writing a major museum about the horse armor that Argon quit the board over so that may change soon.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 

WHOOPS!  I just noticed the bar-code at the extreme top left edge of the print.

Game changer.

Hey, @splendidgoodtidings  -- cancel that museum visit!

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Maybe not, did the op use a piece of white cardboard as a a background when he took the photo.  Maybe the bar code is on the cardboard.  When I buy poster board there is a barcode stuck to the board.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I had the same thought.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

The ship on the back and the ink bleed-through would not be visible if printed on the bar code paper. The backing with the bar code and the print are two separate pieces.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

OP already listed for auction. Title  "Utagawa Hiroshige II Oban Tate-e Woodblock 100 Views the Various Provinces 1860".

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Curses, foiled again!

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Hi, and thank you for your answers.  I think the barcode you are referring to is simply a folder that I keep the print on and it's not on the actual print.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Yes, they are separate pieces.  I should have taken the print out of the folder and taken my photo after.

I will resubmit so it not so confusing.

Thanks for all the help!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Sorry, I should have removed the print from the fold with the bar code on it.

I will submit new and less confusing photos.

Thank you for all your help

Message 15 of 21
latest reply