cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to list comic books on eBay

For anyone interested, I recently put together a blog post entitled "How to list comic books on eBay" which offers my five step process for selling comics.

Would love to get anyone's opinion on it (and get some pointers on anything I might have nissed).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I don't sell or collect comic books, but I read your guide all the way thorugh.  It is excellent in nearly every regard, and all its general points would be helpful to anyone selling anything on eBay. 

I have only one caveat, and that is with this:  "eBay allows you to set a starting bid and a reserve price.  If you set the starting bid too high, you may discourage people from ever bidding in the first place, so start low and aim high."

Sellers should be aware that (a) the fee for running a reserve auction if hefty and (b) that hefty fee must be paid whether or not the item sells.  eBay did that to discourage reserve auctions.  Buyers hate reserves and will often hit the back button as soon as they see the word.  Or they will will nibble- and sport-bid just to disclose the reserve and then back out of the transaction.

So, better advice is, I believe, to make the opening bid the least amount the seller is willing to take for the comic. 

I believe the best advice for new sellers is to not run auctions at all but sell at fixed price, immediate payment required, no offers.  I won't go into detail here but you can find plenty of commentary on the Sellers forum to the effect that new sellers are scam magnets, and they are are more likely to be  targeted when they run auctions.

But, as I said, your guide is really very good.  It's clearly written, logically organized, nicely laid out.    I hope potential comics sellers find it. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I meant to include the Reserve Fee in the above: 

Since it is an "Optional Selling Upgrade," it is charged in additon to all other fees.  It is currently $5.00 or 7.5% of reserve price, whichever is greater (maximum fee $250).  The Reserve Fee is charged whether or not item sells.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section5

-

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Very nice!  I agree with Maxine's point about the reserve option - it's a turn off to many buyers, and it is costly for sellers.   Buy now pricing is a good idea if the seller has done the homework to know what price to ask - and that could depend on whether the slow dime or the fast nickel is sought.  

Rita

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Very good info, especially on grading & how to find the value of comics.

I came across 300+ comics between 2000-2016 which I've been selling on ebay..

I've never gotten negative feedback on eBay ever until recently.

When I ship I board & seal in poly bags then put in Kraft envelopes.

Apparently that is not good enough.

The P.O. has managed to fold the envelopes and jam them in the buyers mailbox.

This leaves a crease in the comic.

I refund the buyer, he keeps the comic.

Then he gives me negative feedback.

I get it the message, only ship comics in Gemini comic boxes.

But I'm still stuck with negative feedback.

I've communicated this to eBay, they basically don't care.

I only wish that comic buyers would not get so angered by

damage done by the post office. 

..just venting. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@chillebear wrote:

When I ship I board & seal in poly bags then put in Kraft envelopes.

Apparently that is not good enough.

Your buyer's complaint is that you didn't board it: "Mine arrived with no cardboard, rolled up and shoved into my mailbox... The book was shipped without any protection whatsoever."

I've no idea which of you is right, but you can't both be. Either there was cardboard inside the envelope, or there wasn't.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hi,
I'd like to see your blog post but don't see a link. Apologies if I'm missing something. New here.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I would love to read it too...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Where is this guide now? I would love to read it.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply