cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any info on this casting?

528E5CD8-3ACC-433B-A980-1D5C04308811.jpeg

I’ve tried image search and not found anything exactly like it. The sword is half broken but I replaced it with a wooden one while I find the smiths of Rivendell to reforge it.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Any info on this casting?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be representation of Arminius a.k.a. Herman the German.

Do you know the material? Magnetic? Size? Can you look inside  from underneath to get clues to its age etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Or Vorcingetrix? 

I have to look up Herman, though. He sounds like fun!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Metal itself is 22” tall (excluding the black wooden pedestal).. Neodymium magnets don’t stick.

Seems Norse, or idealized Norse at least. Split beard is… something.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Though his sandals do appear to be from the Roman world.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

A form of backhanded "neoclassicsism" recalling when Rome conquered the Cisalpine Gauls and raiding neighboring Germanic tribes. This style of art stuff became more popular as the 1800s wound down into various eclectic and idiosyncratic forms of Gothic, Pre-Raphaelite and Classical revival aesthetic movements. Early 19th century motifs were much more refined and lighter in theme. But this is a reaction to that enduring trend.

Also all bets are off when dealing with high Victorian artistic elements. Roman sandals, could just as easily be accompanied by Tunisian scimitars, "Viking" horns on the battle helmet and a Pictish set of tattoos. They threw in the kitchen sink once Gothic revival had established that the romantic "look" trumped historical accuracy. 

But

I dig it. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply