cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would eBay regulations allow to list such odd $ 2to100 modified banknote of 1928 ?

Would eBay regulations allow to list such odd $ 2to100 modified banknote of 1928 ?0013a.jpg0013b.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Would eBay regulations allow to list such odd $ 2to100 modified banknote of 1928 ?

I'm just trying to understand - I know nothing about currency.  What do you mean by

"odd $ 2to100"  ?   And how was it modified?  Are you referring to the horizontal dark line across the middle?  Thanks

Rita

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That is Thomas Jefferson, who is on is on the two-dollar bill.  Benjamin Franklin is on the 100-dollar bill.  I have no idea what someone was up to in making this altered bill, though.

-

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

By modified, do you mean counterfeit?

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Would a counterfeiter ever make a "100" that crude, or put Jefferson on a hundred-dollar bill?  Or do you think who ever made it thought it could be passed to someone who was unlikely to have ever seen a $100 bill?  Odd thing!

-

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

No matter how crude, it still is a counter fit so I would go with no it can't be listed. John W. Snyder (1946 - 1953) | U.S. Department of the Treasury

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Book em Danno!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

My answer to maxine, why 2 were made to be 100...

Those days in 1928 or 1930s, the 100$ were much bigger money, than nowadays, therefor some poor people would have never seen the genuine banknote, because just never had it on hand! And the fact of the circulation simultaneously many different modifications of US dollars, would allow abusers to produce such primitive forgery from the genuine banknote. Or it could have been tricked against the arriving foreigners, who do not really know, how, exactly the $100 bill must look like and who's portrait does it have on it...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

That makes sense.  Even today $100 bills are not all that common. 

Anyhow, I would say that it cannot be sold on eBay because it is still a counterfeit bill, as crude as it is.

For anyone not familiar with him, it took the Secret Service a long time to track down this counterfeiter, because he did only one-dollar bills and passed them only occasionally and sparingly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerich_Juettner

-

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

This bill dates from the late 40's or early 50's.  As noted by remodelt Snyder was Sec of treasury from 1946-1953 and Clarke was the treasurer from June 1949-1953.

You theory sounds plausible.  If you would have asked me who was on the $100.00 bill or the $2.00 bill I would have to think real hard.  I seldom have either in my wallet.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply