cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Double Fish Eye Oil Lamp, about 3' tall

Settling parent's estate and I have 3 lamps that I am trying to get information on.  I will post them all separate.  Looking for not only background info., but potential value as well.  Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated! 

This lamp is a double (?) fish eye, about 3' tall, not electrified.  Trying to get an indication of value and can't find one like it anywhere.  Some photos in parts for more detail.About 3' tall, middle lamp.About 3' tall, middle lamp.Verticle in my pics!Verticle in my pics!IMG_5383.JPGIMG_5384.JPGIMG_5385.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Antique Double Fish Eye Oil Lamp, about 3' tall

Wow. That is beautiful, but it will be a bear to ship!

I looked on Worthpoint and found this similar example below that sold for $27.99. Am not familiar with the item but thought this might be a starting point, at least.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/early-hobnail-fish-eye-tall-glass-1891496427

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You may have already done this, but another thing i noted while nosing around, try googling “antique oil lamp identification”. Lots of interesting info resulted. Good luck with it!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Sorry for your loss.  Other than the three items you sold in October 2021 I see you haven't sold for quite a while.  You are going to need to be careful about listing expensive jewelry given the number of fraudulent buyers lurking on the internet.  It might be wise to start by listing lower priced items and see how it goes at first.

You also need to keep detailed records when administering an estate as well.  Itemize everything you do in a ledger if there are other heirs who may have the right to ask questions.  

I had several items appraised at local jewelry stores before listing them.  Sold some here and other pieces went to the jeweler.

In either case you will need records for backup once you receive your 1099K at the end of the year.  My jeweler even took my info down when I sold him a few items and a photo of my drivers' license in the same photo as the group of items I sold.   

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you.  That lamp really isn't similar at all, not in pattern or in side.  Going to attach another photo, showing the actual size.  Again, thanks for your reply.  (For some reason I can't post a photo here...it is over 3' tall.  Will see if I can in the original post.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes.  When worried about potential theft, it is REAL important to have detailed info.!  Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Also, a more accurate description would be a fish eye lamp with a double mantle.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply