cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milk Can??

Bought as a milk can and I still think that is what it is.  Have never seen one with a piece on the side.  It also (hard to see in pic) a nipple on the bottom like you would hook a hose or tubing.  Hole in bottom rim near nipple.  Can is 23" tall.  Has rust around bottom. milk can all.jpgmilk can holder.jpgmilk can hole.jpgmilk can nipple.jpgHas someone modified or was it made this way for a specific reason?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
22 REPLIES 22

Milk Can??

Could it be an old fire extinguisher?  

=

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

I don't claim to know what it's for, but I have seen that.  My mother had one she refinished and hand painted and it had what seems like old holes and tubes at the bottom.  Wish I kept it.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

Any words/letters/numbers on the side, other than "COUNTRY"?

country.png

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

Sorry for delay in responding.  We've had a little snow (and ice in NC).  On the side is "COUNTRY CLUB DY 54". Also noticed a loop under lid that is not on regular milk cansmilk can top loop.jpgmilk can holder2.jpgns.  The loop on the side is approximately 6" long.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

@maxine*j  I was thinking that too, but the top is classic milk can.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

Could have had a rubber hose attached to the fitting on the bottom, then was stored in the tube and U clip on the side with a plug in the end of the hose. When the milk was drained at the creamery, the hose was taken out of the storage tube on the side, plug removed and milk emptied into the tank. Ok so that is a WAG, but what the heck!

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

@maxine*j  I was thinking that too, but the top is classic milk can.

@evry1nositswindy 

Yes, I agree with that.  It's confusing. 

=

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

My thoughts are that it is a re-purposed milk can used as a low pressure tank for a garden sprayer or bleach solution when cleaning out stalls, etc on a farm.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

@exit55 wrote:

On the side is "COUNTRY CLUB DY 54".

I wonder if DY might be short for DAIRY?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

@argon38 wrote:

@exit55 wrote:

On the side is "COUNTRY CLUB DY 54".

I wonder if DY might be short for DAIRY?

Could be.  Google brings up a Country Club Dairy in Kansas City, MO, although I didn't look at any of the links.

=

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

@maxine*j wrote:
Google brings up a Country Club Dairy in Kansas City, MO, although I didn't look at any of the link

Yes, almost all the hits I'm getting are for that one (5633 Troost Street, Kansas City). According to one WorthPoint listing, the owner and founder died in 1961 and the dairy closed sometime after that.

However, I did also come across a couple of links for a "Country Club Dairy (F.M. Cameron & Son)" situated in Bradenton, Florida:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184119809569?_ul=IL&nma=true&si=9l6pmQT4qnLRvzmvN1waDG0Q64s%253D&orig_cvip=... 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1948-bradenton-florida-quart-acl-milk-1880744795 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

Think you are right in that DY=dairy.  Assume 54 means 1954 to be with Country Club Dairy time line.

Think redmodelt may also be on to something.  I remember grandma have a creamy in the house on a stand.  Have a lever on the spigot on bottom you could let the milk out.  Remove the top and dip off the cream. This could have been a "homemade" creamer.

Side note:  receive a "beating" (along with sister) for messing with lever, running milk all over the floor in the kitchen after I was told not to mess with it.   Could not get it to cut off.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

I grew up on a farm and we had some cows and I just don't remember milk being under pressure as this can suggests. I'll gladly eat my words if someone can find another one like this that was used to transfer or control  milk. I was too young to lift a full milk can but the grown ups did it all the time. They would take the lid off the tank and pour and there were no tiny spigots on our cans. The process was full volume. I also remember dipping a ladle in the collecting tank for a drink of milk. There were no germs back then. 🤧 "Ma, Buster sneezed in the milk tank again!"

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Milk Can??

What was being describe would have a slide pump sprayer, the hand pump being at the end of the hose, the tank would not have been under pressure.

What is a slide pump sprayer?

DIY Frequently Asked Questions / Slide Pump Sprayer

Operates by a two-handed, telescopic plunger action that draws the spray material from an open container and discharges it through an adjustable nozzle. ... and nozzles adjust for spray patterns up to 25' or 30'.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply