cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Coin Selling Policy Question... "Approved" Grading Companies

I'm posting here there's a link in the coin selling policy page that says I can find advice here... 

I thought there was a Canadian grader that eBay found acceptable.

But I was looking at the policy, and all I see there is PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG.  Did they axe the Canadian grader?   The reason I ask, I've got two ICCS graded Canadian coins... can I list those as Certified?

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I have purchased many coin graded by ICCS. I believe they are stricter on Canadian coins than PCGS or NGC.

They should be listed by Ebay as an "approved grading company"

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@john9112001 wrote:

I believe they are stricter on Canadian coins than PCGS or NGC.

they absolutely are, because they grade using Canadian standards... PCGS and NGC grade Canadian coins using American standards...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It appears a US based seller may sell ICCS coins with a reference to ICCS anywhere in the listing, but without a numerical grade in the title.

It appears a Canadian based seller may sell ICCS coins just as a US based seller can, but is able to put a numerical grade in the title.

Both US and Canadian based sellers' ICCS coins are available for sale to US buyers.

IMO, ICCS Canadian and provincial (circulated) coins are graded to a stricter standard than US based "approved" certification services. I do not have enough experience with ICCS to make a blanket statement that all ICCS mint state graded coins are graded to a stricter standard than US based "approved" certification services.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the replies...

I did a search, there's some 9.300 results for ICCS.  Many have numerical grades in the title. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.XICCS.TRS0&_nkw=IC...

I looked at the policy before posting here.  I distinctly recall there being a Canadian service listed there as "approved" in the past (ICCS, I'm sure).  Yet the current policy page does not mention them at all, which would mean mentioning the company by name, listing it as "certified", or using a numerical grade, would be verboten. 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html#graded

I don't think eBay is enforcing any policies in this category anymore.  The site is just over-run with fake Chinese Morgan Dollars, "plated bullion", and other trash prohibited by both eBay policy and U.S. law. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

EBay has been long known for having different sets of policies based on which country the eBay site is located. I think this may be the case here.

Is there a Canadian registered seller here who can check the Canadian coin selling policy specifically in regards to the listing of certified coins?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The eBay-Canada policy page is here:

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-coins.html

It does not mention a single thing about "certified" coins, requirements for them, or restrictions on them. 

Mostly, it looks like the page that was in use on eBay.com prior to about 2009.  It even has a link to the  Code of Conduct for Selling Coins & Paper Money on eBay which was abandoned along with eBay's relationship with the ANA... when... something like 2008?   

It also allows for "authenticity disclaimers", which have been verboten on the dot com site for many moons now.

I'm not sure whether to believe that .ca page at all. 

The current crew of employees in the eBay Community are adamant that the same rules apply for all sellers in all countries.   eBay policy is that the policies on the site where the buyer made the purchase are the policies that will be followed for that transaction. 

I suppose I could list some of this stuff on eBay.ca.   I don't understand why there are different policies when they routinely show the same listings to users in the other country.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

eBay.ca fake coins are HOT.jpg

They've got some really... uh... "Hot" coins for sale up there on the Kanukistanian site...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

LOL!

Despite what I saw in the policy pages, and what we discussed here...

I wrote up a listing, put ICCS in the title.  eBay immediately recommends Item Specifics including "Certified:" with options that include ICCS.   So I went with that... wouldn't be the first time I got slapped for following eBay's recommendations though...  

Hope y'all didn't miss out on those 1862 Silver Dollars... they were almost gone, and that's a pretty good deal for Evil Repellant Safeguard!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply