cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it OK to list currency saturated with PVC.

I bought some currency notes from another seller here and the listing says they were in PVC holders and the PVC saturated into the notes.  I missed reading this in the description when I placed the bid.  Does anyone know if I would be allowed to sell them here?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Is it OK to list currency saturated with PVC.

Heron's been thinking about this question for a couple of days.  When Heron was selling many banknotes (world banknotes) on eBay he listed a note that had some nasty stains in the 'margins'.  This note was an Algerian note issued in the late 1930s.  The stains seemed to be wine stains and so when Heron listed the note he included that information in the listing.  Note sold at auction and buyer was satisfied.  So, if you tell it like it is there should not be any stigma attached to the transaction.

Note: this is a personal opinion and other opinions can vary.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I concur. Describe it as it is.

.................................."Honesty is the best Policy"

(Sir Edwin Sandys)

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

sure, why not as long as you don't misrepresent them...

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I'm mostly concerned if it is legal to list them. Does anyone know if it is OK legally to list currency that has PVC in them?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Perhaps the answer of 'legality' would be supplied by rules as set forth by our 'host' company.  I am typing in 'bold' because no other is available at this time.  Heron does not know why.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@mozartbach1971 wrote:

I'm mostly concerned if it is legal to list them. Does anyone know if it is OK legally to list currency that has PVC in them?

what law would it break?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC or Vinyl) is a high-strength thermoplastic material. It is widely used in applications such as pipes, medical devices, and wire & cable insulation...the list is endless. It is the world's third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I sell coins that have PVC damage on them. Coins are currency. I believe that to be completely legal as it is a fairly regular practice.

I do not believe there is any legal difference between PVC damaged coins & PVC damaged paper currency. Thus I do not believe it to be illegal.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Perhaps if all damage is stated clearly in the 'listing' process there might not be any liability for sellers.  (In the early days of eBay, when Heron was selling, Heron listed a rather scarce Durango (Mexico) piece of emergency paper money issued about 1914.  Cannot remember which note but it was in 2 pieces.  Heron specifically stated that the note was in 2 pieces in the listing info.  Heron remembers the note being bid up to about $6 or $7.

There were only auctions in 1999, no 'buy it now' feature at that time or if there was, Heron did not know about it).

Yes, describe an item using full details and that should solve the situation.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

i don't remember when they started BIN, but i'm pretty sure it wasn't that early... 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

"Also in that same year (November, 2000) eBay allowed buyers an option to “Buy it Now,” which allowed them to purchase an item immediately, appealing to the buyer’s need for instant gratification."

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

what law would it break?

I'm not sure I know I looked on the internet and it said something like it was associated with health problems. So I want to make sure there isn't any state or federal law that says you can't mail out anything with it in it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@koindog wrote:

"Also in that same year (November, 2000) eBay allowed buyers an option to “Buy it Now,” which allowed them to purchase an item immediately, appealing to the buyer’s need for instant gratification."

so i was right, it was a year later...

😁

Message 14 of 14
latest reply