cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake clipped planchet

i was going thru a backlog of items to be remounted, labeled, and put in the correct binders when i came across a birthyear clipped nickel...

pulled it out of the old ratty 2x2 to put it in a new one

100_6326.JPG100_6327.JPG

and then i looked at the "clip"...

100_6328.JPG

uh oh... that looks like someone took something and cut it by hand... a real clip is smooth from the blanking press...

another check is putting it next to another nickel... a true clip will fit exactly on the edge of another coin of the same type... this one goes back and forth like a rocking chair...

also, there's no Blakesley effect -- but lack of one does not mean it's not real, as not all true clips have a Blakesley effect... but yeah, this one is a basement job...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fake clipped planchet

Yep. The curve looked too shallow at first glance. Good post

Everybody was Kung Flu fighting...
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Are you the same telephoto(?#) that used to post here circa the Glo/JB era?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@koindog wrote:

Are you the same telephoto(?#) that used to post here circa the Glo/JB era?

do you mean teleguru?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Error coins are not el Heron's specialty.  However, during Heron's collecting years he has owned some 'clipped planchets'.  Real ones.  The one depicted does not resemble any of the 'clipped planchets' ever owned by Heron.  Usually the clipped planchets would have a smooth 'cut' with maybe some slight striations.   (In the late 1960s Heron received in change a USA Quarter Dol. with a nice clipped planchet.   Heron gave it to the National Sales Manager.   He was interested in coins.   (In return, the National Sales Mgr sent Heron a 1/2 Silver Ruble of Russia from about 1890 or so.   The Russian coin was only about Fine+.   That coin eventually sold for 75 Cents from the 'junk box'.  Also the National Sales Mgr treated Heron to a dinner at Chasen's Restaurante in Hollywood during that same visit to Socal.  So, a fairly good 'return' for a clipped planchet copper-nickel coin).

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

i have a few  birthyear clips in my collection... this was going to be an addition, but now it's going to go to the bank in a roll at some point in the future...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes!  The bank is probably a very good place for that coin!   

Message 7 of 7
latest reply