cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europa Central & Oest #341 Napoleonic Danzig 1812.

3 Nov 2017 - Greetings to all coin collectors anywhere!  Heron continues in the effort to help keep this Coin Chat board alive.   Heron reports #341 of different coin issuing entities.   This is another issue of Nappy I during his invasion and occupation of Central & Eastern European countries.   

The Coin:  French Occupation coin for Danzig dated 1812 - Copper - Schilling - 16mm dia. 

Obverse: Crowned coat of arms of Danzig consisting of 2 Maltese style crosses

in line vertically.   Date divided thus; 18 COA 12.

Reverse:             I

SCHILLING

M

Short History:

1807 - Nappy's 'French Army' consisting of some French troops, 2 divisions of Polish troops,  One Saxon Corps, troops from Baden,  and 2 Italian divisions 

invade and defeat the Prussians and Russians defending Danzig.

1813 - Russia begins seige of Danzig.

1814 - January, French troops withdraw.

Notes;

After the French & 'others' were victorious in 1807,  Nappy appointed French Marshall Lefebvre as 'Honorary Duke' of Danzig.

This is yet another Napoleon I occupation issue.   We continue to thank Nappy for issuing coins in many different areas of Europa.   Keeps the hobby lively.

The M below the word Schilling is the mark for Mint Meister Johann Ludwig Meyer.

Some Info Sources:

Numista Coin Info Danzig 1 Schilling 1808-1812.

Danzig/Battle for Danzig - Napoleonguide-com.

Vcoin Info Danzig Schilling 1812.

Images of Danzig Coins 1808 to 1812 - Googly.

Seige of Danzig [1807] - Wikit.

Free City of Danzig [Napoleonic] - Wikit.

**Heron continues searching on the back roads and pathways of Europe for more different coin issuing entities of Central & Oest Europa.    It is now most likely that

Heron will reach the 350 'mark'.   And perhaps exceed that mark.   More items are being 'listed' every day.    And perhaps Heron will acquire some of those items?

This has been a great hobby for many years now.   And still remains a great hobby!

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0