cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay banning Cuban coin? They're pre castro fer Pete's sake

Tried to list some 1st republic Cuban coin and I get this warning. As of April 9, 2013 eBay will no longer allow Cuban coins of currency. My coins are not embargoed because they predate Castro. But eBay, in its infinite wisdom has decided  to ban all Cuban coins and currency.

Any chance of appealing to reason and getting them to reverse this decision ? (ok, quit laughing) 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Tried to list some 1st republic Cuban coin and I get this warning. As of April 9, 2013 eBay will no longer allow Cuban coins of currency. My coins are not embargoed because they predate Castro. But eBay, in its infinite wisdom has decided  to ban all Cuban coins and currency.

Any chance of appealing to reason and getting them to reverse this decision ? (ok, quit laughing) 

looks like anything Cuban is banned... along with some other countries...

Message 2 of 69
latest reply

List them on eBay.uk and make them visible to US buyers and change the shipping prices into ££££`s instead of $$$$$`s

The wording is different here

We don't allow items on our site if they're meant to be traded with organisations, businesses, or individuals in the following countries:

Iran

Syria

Burma (Myanmar)

North Korea

Sudan

Cuba

Its the same with Purple Hearts, they can be listed here in the UK and not the US eBay

Message 3 of 69
latest reply

looks like anything Cuban is banned... along with some other countries...

Well, that doesn't do a lot of good, because the coins in question are not prohibited by the government embargo regulations!

We don't allow items on our site if they fall under the embargo regulations with the following countries:

Burma (Myanmar)

Cuba

Iran

North Korea

Sudan

Syria

That's a ridiculous application of the policy.  I appreciate the post though, because I have been selling Cuba coins occasionally, including some post-Castro coins - without any troubles.  In fact, I sell coins from Iran, Sudan, and Syria too... I wonder if the listing tool will block me on all those as well? 

Prior to this, the only "blocking" I've ever encountered is if I try to list Iraq coins or currency, and include a shipping option that would include Germany.  If I take Germany, worldwide, and/or EU off the shipping options, I can list.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 69
latest reply

I didn't know there were any post Castro coins yet.

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 5 of 69
latest reply

Gosh, I’ve put selling foreign coins on the back burner due to getting involved with other lines.

I know I too have coins from the banned countries but once I’m ready to start selling them again, I’ll have to revisit this issue and hopefully by then someone has a workaround to unload them other than changing to a style of selling that to me is bit unsavory, to say the least, like...

LQQK, 1/4 Pound of World (Silver???) Coins, or,

LQQK, Lot of 25 Different World Coins, No Reserve!

Message 6 of 69
latest reply

-->

Gosh, I’ve put selling foreign coins on the back burner due to getting involved with other lines.

I know I too have coins from the banned countries but once I’m ready to start selling them again, I’ll have to revisit this issue and hopefully by then someone has a workaround to unload them other than changing to a style of selling that to me is bit unsavory, to say the least, like...

LQQK, 1/4 Pound of World (Silver???) Coins, or,

LQQK, Lot of 25 Different World Coins, No Reserve!

Don't forget to mention that they are RARE!!!

Message 7 of 69
latest reply

I didn't know there were any post Castro coins yet.

Oops.

Post Castro Ascension, maybe?  😐 

Message 8 of 69
latest reply

Looks like ebay just got this one in on time, since under Raul Castro the country seems to be abandoning hard line communism and opening up for tourism, trade and private enterprise.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 9 of 69
latest reply

Come on you guys, smell the coffee!  After reading this thread over, ebays stupidity becomes apparent, along with their glitchy software.

OP, perhaps ebay was just misbehaving while you tried to put you listings into production.  I would try listing them again because there are over 2,000 active Cuba coin listings and the link below shows 38 that state “First Republic”.

Cuba, 1st Republic

For arguments sake, since policy states that “Certain informational items about sanctioned countries, such as books, movies, artwork, photographs, music, or similar materials.” are allowed, and since one pointed out on another thread, Numismatics is the study or collection of coins, paper currency, and medals, then one can say buying and selling these small metal pieces of historic informational artwork should be allowed and feel ebay sent the OP a bogus message.

Furthermore, whom do you think they employ to draw, etch, sculpt the designs used on coins?  A local floor maintenance engineer who creates immaculate surfaces that one can eat off of, or, a seasoned artist who creates artwork that one can learn & admire from a distance or under a loupe?

Message 10 of 69
latest reply

Gosh, even the encyclopedia Britannica states:

“The broader field of art collecting, for which specific and reliable accounts do exist, began in the 4th or 3rd century bc. Since coins of that period are universally recognized as works of art, and since they were among the most affordable and transportable objects of the art world, it is not surprising that they would have been collected even then. Certainly, they were appreciated for more than their value as currency, because they were often used in jewelry and decorative arts of the period.”

“Collecting is a behaviour that can be associated with primeval instinct. However, the methodology of collecting coins can vary greatly from collector to collector. The most common approaches are political, economic, historical, artistic, and topical.”

For your pleasure, take a look at the cool artwork created from coins.  They even have Johnny sitting on one of his satees!  I wonder what he’s thinking?  It must be something delightfully sinful.

Inspiration Green

Message 11 of 69
latest reply

-->

... ebays stupidity ...

to which there are no apparent limits...

Message 12 of 69
latest reply

-->

Come on you guys, smell the coffee!  After reading this thread over, ebays stupidity becomes apparent, along with their glitchy software.

OP, perhaps ebay was just misbehaving while you tried to put you listings into production.  I would try listing them again because there are over 2,000 active Cuba coin listings and the link below shows 38 that state “First Republic”.

almost 900 of the Cuban coins currently listed are post-1962, so either the OP ran into an extra-judicious Ebay official OR there is a major change coming to the Cuban coins category next Tuesday (4/9).  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some overzealous congressperson from FL came across the modern Cuban coin category on Ebay and had the Justice Dept. send a strongly worded letter to Ebay which sent their lawyers into a tizzy, wherein the only solution to the idea that Cuba might possibly be selling coins through Ebay is to shut the whole category down.

Message 13 of 69
latest reply

OP said he got a warning... I wonder, does that mean it wouldn't let him list?  Or, does it just mean he saw a warning?  Would eBay pull his listing on 4/9 if he did list? 

Message 14 of 69
latest reply

A week or two ago I had a buyer that paypig wouldn't allow to pay

"Payment from -------------------of------ USD on Mar 2, 2013 couldn't be sent"

"We process most payments immediately, but regulations require us to examine selected transactions more closely. If we have any reason to believe that a transaction may violate government regulations, we're required to stop the transaction. We couldn't send this payment. We're sorry for any inconvenience.
For more information, see goods or services regulations."

I changed the title of the invoice (removing Cuba) and it went through fine

Message 15 of 69
latest reply