cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone identify this foreign gold coin? It's about the size of a nickle & weighs 6 grms. Thanks

frontfrontbackback

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can anyone identify this foreign gold coin? It's about the size of a nickle & weighs 6 grms.

Well, the item depicted has something to do with Ferdinando and

Isobel of Spain.  Their names are on the item.   Heron visited the Numista site and viewed several actual gold coins of Ferd and Isobel.  No likeness.  The actual

coins of Spain issued by Ferd and Isobel show the two facing each other.  The item depicted could be a type of commemorative item.  Or it could be a coin.  More research is necessary.  

Start with Numista.  Check out all the gold coins issued by Spain

during the Ferd & Isobel reign.   

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: Can anyone identify this foreign gold coin? It's about the size of a nickle & weighs 6 grms.

What letters are inside the small rectangular box below the prow of the Santa Maria on the reverse side? Many times a box similar to this contains the letters: "COPY".

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

pics are too small and the lighting is no good...

the chain looks like it might be 14k... any hallmarks? pics of those as well, and the full chain...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I don't think your item is a coin, as I do not see a year or denomination, and it is not connected to the chain with a bezel (not that it necessarily has to have one). Rather, I think it is a small medallion. IMO.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I agree on medallion. Not at all an expert on coins or jewelry though...Resized_20211221_133632.jpeg

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The lettering around the perimeter reads ANNO x DOMINI x MCD x CII x VLTRA which I think translates to: In the year of our Lord 1502 last.

According to the Googly:

"On May 11, 1502, Christopher Columbus set out on his fourth and final voyage to the New World with a fleet of four ships. His mission was to explore uncharted areas to the west of the Caribbean in hopes of finding a passage to the Orient."

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Oops. Missed a word. Should be: ANNO x DOMINI x MCD x CII x PLVS x VLTRA

Message 8 of 8
latest reply