cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1920 S Wheat Error

I Believe this penny has multiple errors but the experts can judge. The. reverse is odd possible "Retained Reverse Cud"?  I'm not sure or another type? Front, one on the Mint mark and date appear double dye. 

What do you thinkIMG_5077.jpegIMG_5078.jpeg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1920 S Wheat Error

Yep!  That is 'clear as a bell'!  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

i don't see anything but a slightly damaged wheatie with honest wear...

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Heron agrees with that comment.   Actually, the 1920 Cent piece looks

fairly decent for the amount of wear on it.   And as for 'errors', Heron does

not see any.  Considering that the coin could have been in a parking lot

and run over a few times, it isnt all that 'bad'.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

San Fransisco mint. Maybe that ding on the reverse was from being hit by a box of Rice-A-Roni?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

YESS!  Or being hit by a run-away cable car?  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

.........clang-clang....clang-clang.........

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yep!  That is 'clear as a bell'!  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

That is not nice.  I have looked up errors and go to the "credible: ref in the site includes top dates and mint marks. who knows? I tried with a loop, scan, sometimes it drives me nutz.

I collected wheat pennies b/c in nyc old people pay with pennies, so collected wheats.  I've been collecting for a while. I have a large collection, I have received all in change. I also was obsessed with $2 with I was little so collect bills too, star bills, and inherited a few early bills but not for sale. I discovered a star bill from 2013 was not rare but 6 mo after now rare because the federal reserve made two of the same bill.

you. I KNOW THAT COLLECTORS ARE VERY PASIONATE, it's a shame your are not because your expertise would have been appreciated.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your help and reply. I gratefully appreciate you taking the time. I've been collecting wheats for a long time and started when in nyc i got old pennies (wheats) in change. ... Thank you

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The question regarding the 1920 S Cent Piece can be resolved by sending this coin to a 'third party grading service'.  There are several

third party grading services available to collectors.  We here on this 

great coin and paper money chattering board offer our opinions. Gratis.

We are aware that some folks will not be pleased with certain answers.

That is to be expected.   A third party grading service will charge a fee

but then an answer will be given and with some experienced people

'grading' the coin.   This could be the answer to the question of 'grade' and possible 'mint errors' on the 1920 S Cent piece.  

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Did this US Cent piece ever get sent to a 3rd party grading company?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

OP is not going to answer you b/c you are not pasionate  [sic] about penny errors.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Ah ha!  Well, el Heron can explain that 'errors' on coins can be super interesting.  In particular the coins issued throughout the Holy Roman Empire during the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries.   Even coins with mispelt

words onnem!  Those are true errors.  Heron IS passionate about the errors to be collected during those 3 centuries.  Never know what kind of loco legends will be found on those oldies but goodies!   Although it is true that el Heron is not very passionate about modern coin 'errors'.  

Into the 19th Century there is some passion but on into the 20th Century

there really is a low amount of 'passion' for errors.  Although it would be interesting to know if any follow-up was made on the USA Cent piece!

Regardos muchos!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If you try to sell a so called error coin, you better get it graded by a third party grading company.   The one in the OP, looks to me like a typical worn coin. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@vintgecollectibleworlda2 wrote:

I discovered a star bill from 2013 was not rare but 6 mo after now rare because the federal reserve made two of the same bill.

When you say made tow of the same bill, do you mean they have the same serial numbers?

Someone a short time ago posted about a bill with the same exact serial number for sale on eBay as the one they have in their possession.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply