cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1846 LARGE CENT: IS IT A MINT ERROR OR CIRCULATION DAMAGE:

I got this 1846 Large Cent that has a raised area by the Nose of Flowing Liberty: There is indications of something striking the Face of the Reeding on the Obverse of the coin and on the Reverse, there is an indentation at the letters I & T.  It also appears that the coin has a slight distortion in the thickness.  I would just like to get a general idea if the coin has any value. I have seen listing in the $40 to $60 for this coin. Thanks, Mark.1846 ONE CENT OBVERSE.JPG1846 ONE CENT REVERSE (B).JPG1846 ONE CENT EDGE2.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: 1846 LARGE CENT: IS IT A MINT ERROR OR CIRCULATION DAMAGE:

post-mint damage

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

looks like damage to me.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Looks to me like the aftermath of a metal punch and a dude with large biceps wielding a ball-peen hammer.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Not mint error, 100% damage, with very low value

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hello Wyrenutt, very nice photos.  In addition, when Heron saw your ID it reminded him of his time working as an electrician's apprentice!  Heron tied a lot of wires together with wyrenutts.  A good start in the world of electricity.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Looked like someone silver tested it with the acid straight to coin.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

No Mint Damage, it would be worth thousands if it were and you likely would have it in your hand there.  It's a Valuable Coin, however, because very few people ever see a 1846 coin like yours.  They say Damage.  I say Personality.  It's worth more than $60 stupid dollars.  I wouldn't sell it.  I'd keep it as a good luck charm.  It's not just about money, even when it is money.

Clay Scott Brown
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

children putting it on the tramway rails.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

That reply reminds Heron of a trip to Altoona PA in 1948. The local children showed Heron how to 'elongate' a USA Cent piece by putting it on the RR tracks at the famous Horseshoe Curve in Altoona. Fun days.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply