cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do I do if I never received my package but tracking shows it was delivered?

Hello...I need some help,

a package that was supposed to arrive August 4th never arrived even though the tracking said the item was delivered to my zip code. So I waited a couple days, asked my neighbors if they had anything and checked around my property...nothing. I checked my USPS account informed delivery page, it didn't even show up in the  packages section until after I added the tracking.

so contacted the seller and reported the item not received .It also asked if I wanted a refund or replacement so I chose  replacement, but if they wanted to help me figure out what could have happened first I would have been fine with that. Next day they replied to say they  blocked me. 😞 So I guess that was that and would not be getting any assistance from them.

So then last night I spent hours researching the issue online for any guidance and one advice explained to go to the PO and have them check for the GPS of where the package was left by carrier to see if it matched my address. If not that could be used as proof that the package was lost by the PO and I could use it for my case on eBay or to file a claim with USPS.

Today I went to the PO to ask for the GPS, they told me it was the same zip code but not my same address. Told me to ask around my neighbors which I told them I already did. So I asked if I could have a copy of the GPS results as proof , they said they couldn't do that b/c it would include other addresses that they weren't allowed to give me in the copy??? (I didn't really understand this.)

as for filing a claim, Im not sure if that's even something I can do or if its the seller.If its on their end I  doubt the seller would want to help me since they blocked me without even trying to discuss the matter with me first.

If I can file it myself I would still need the shipping label for proof of insurance but how would I even get that if I never got the package. Or the ship label receipt which the seller would have and well they seem unwilling to want to help me.

I also tried to fill out the missing mail search  form online but for some reason I keep getting a red error message when I try to submit it. Tried to do it again today and continue getting the error message. Sigh

any ideas on what else I could do? If I wait for Ebay to resolve the matter I'll probably be out of luck b/c of the tracking showing the package as delivered.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: what do I do if I never received my package but tracking shows it was delivered?

I used PayPal, and my local PO wont offer further assistance b/c they consider the package delivered, and the only other advice they offered was to "file a  claim online", which is why I was asking about getting proof of the package being insured.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Re: what do I do if I never received my package but tracking shows it was delivered?

If the pkg shows delivered, you have no claim.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@megaluv wrote:

I used PayPal, and my local PO wont offer further assistance b/c they consider the package delivered, and the only other advice they offered was to "file a  claim online", which is why I was asking about getting proof of the package being insured.

I'm not going to type it all out for you again.  If you didn't pay with a credit card, you have no backstop.  You need a written statement from the post office that the package with that tracking number was not addressed to you.  

I believe you were told this 3 weeks ago.  Your 30 days is almost up.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I just need to figure out how to get that proof my package was insured. 
@megaluv 

No, it is not going to help you.  Insurance is for the seller.  No carrier is going to pay an insurance claim when there is recorded delivery confirmation.  

The only kind of "claim" involving USPS would be to the US Postal Inspectors for fraud.  That can be done online, but you will have to convey somehow that your local Post Office has been uncooperative. 

If you file with PayPal or your credit card, you will likely need some sort of verification that this is NOT a regular item not received issue, but rather a "fake tracking scam" problem, (unless you used American Express LOL!).   Otherwise,  eBay will simply reply to the c.card claim with the same of fake tracking information showing a delivered scan, and you will lose again.  Call your card company, and see what information will be required for this.  

You can make an appointment with your POST MASTER, and bring your shipping documentation with you and not bother with the usual "clerks".  

What you are experiencing is nothing new here.  It has been going on for years.  eBay knows, the carriers know, PayPal knows.....and they all know how difficult it is to get the information they require to counter that delivery scan.   The post master in my tiny  town is so sick of it,  he will gladly let you take a photo of the actual label printout if it is available now so you can get redress from all the entities that pretend they don't see the "elephant in the room". The scam is so successful, because they know the information is often impossible to obtain.    

Take a quick look to see if your Seller is still a registered user on eBay.  In what country is the seller located (not where the parcel was supposedly shipped from)? 

Unfortunately, if your parcel was "misdelivered"  or sent on purpose to the local library or CVS pharmacy in your zipcode simply to get a delivered scan,  eBay now makes it YOUR problem.  eBay hopes you will go away and not cost them money. 

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

hi @ittybitnot 

see I dont think this was a fake tracking scam, it apparently was sent to my address, the supervisor from the 2nd office  showed me the GPS printout with it showing it was delivered to my exact address, including the correct street and house numbers.  The seller is definitely  a bad seller/scammer(his neg feedback proves that) but in my case the item was delivered but...I never got it.

yeah I read that if the tracking shows delivery confirmation, making an insurance claim is useless. I figured Id try anyway. The PO site page on claims says it can be filed by either the sender or recipient, that's why I thought I could do it myself.  

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@megaluv wrote:

hi @ittybitnot 

see I dont think this was a fake tracking scam, it apparently was sent to my address.

On August 8 you said  "Today I went to the PO to ask for the GPS, they told me it was the same zip code but not my same address. "

On August 8 you had a fake tracking scam, today on August 31 you have a porch pirate.

You need to make up your mind quickly.  Or just drop it.  I'm sure your 30 days  be for money back guarantee will be over by the time you decide and you don't have a credit card backup.  

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

yeah I dont know why she said that bc the supervisor from the 2nd office confirmed the GPS as my full correct address, this is looking more and more like a USPS f#@! up, or mailbox theft.

I want to thank everyone who replied/helped/put up with me in this thread , it was all very informative, even if I dont end up getting my money back.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

So much misinformation here.   Its very simple actually (and not a scam).

1) Honest seller sends an item out to a correct address

2) USPS delivers it to the WRONG address.  
3) Buyer asks USPS for GPS of the delivery scan.

4) The GPS coordinates don’t match the buyer’s address (because USPS screwed up!)

5) Buyer goes to this forum and gets told that the seller scammed them.  

I hope that makes sense.  Basically, neither the buyer nor the seller are at fault.  USPS is at fault. Unfortunately for the buyer, there are generally no refunds for items that were misdelivered.  This is the case for most online retailers.  Even giants like Amazon will generally not refund for a delivery screwup.  If it shows delivered, you’re generally out of luck. 

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@reefchief,

There is no misinformation here. The OP's story has been confusing since it was first posted, but in their last post, the one before yours, to @khetzel they stated:

"the supervisor from the 2nd office confirmed the GPS as my full correct address, this is looking more and more like a USPS...".

However,  originally they said the GPS showed delivery in the same zip code, but not to their address. That is what most of us replied to saying it could have been a fake tracking scam and offering suggestions on how to deal with it.

One suggestion no one so far has mentioned is that on the day of "delivery" there could have been what looked like a piece of junk mail, that if inspected before it was likely tossed might have had the tracking number posted for the listing on it.

There are several variations of the tracking scam, which many of us have dealt with before, that can make it hard to determine what really happened without succinct information. Had the OP gone back to the P.O. a third time, which they said they were not going to do, and asked if the label info for the package type/size/weight was appropriate for what they should have received, had the ordered item actually been sent, we would have a better idea of whether this was a scam or not.  This isn't our first rodeo after all, and unfortunately, it will not be our last.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 24 of 35
latest reply

If the scammers put the same effort into good deeds as they do bad, half the problems in life would go away.  Thank you for taking the time with your step by step instructions on how to fix. Most helpful now and in the future. 

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

In my case, this was registered mail in which case my postman rings my doorbell and I sign in cursive and print my address. The pkg is never left without signature and address and a personal handoff of the pkg.  (Iv’e asked the seller to produce the receipt where I signed).  Thank you for your thoughtful reply and suggestions.  Very helpful.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@noojin3,

There have been several studies over the years that suggest if criminals put as much energy into a legitimate enterprise as they do their criminal one, they would be successful in business.  It is their contempt for laws, lack of feelings for others, and greed as well, that makes them do the things they do that harm others. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for this advice; I obtained from the post office a copy of the actual mailing label with the tracking number I received. It was NOT addressed to me or to my address. I provided this to ebay to appeal its denial of my money back guaranty request.  Ebay has not responded after 4 business days.  I have received numerous "will receive a response in 24-48 hours" but nothing further. 

Has anyone any experience filing a lawsuit against  ebay for breach of contract on the money back guaranty.  I am guessing ebay has terms and conditions that limit rights to file a lawsuit-- maybe a forced arbitration clause. Where do I look for information about pursuing a legal claim against ebay for breach of contract?  

Thank for the suggestion on going to social media and the links.  That seems promising. 

Bottom line, ebay knows there is tracking number scam going on and that delivery to the same zip code is not necessarily delivery to the buyer or seller. Proving this requires a great deal of time and effort and ebay provides limited access to direct communication. This experience has been very disappointing and frustrating . 

It is possible ebay will do the right thing and refund my money but given the reports from other ebay buyers and sellers, that possibility is starting to look very thin.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

I tried calling eBay, and after jumping through all their automated hoops and being told I would be transferred to a teammate, I was told by a recording that this number is no longer used by eBay, and I should get my answers from the website, then I was disconnected.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Sorry, I meant to post that message somewhere else, and I can't seem to delete it.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply