cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller sent false tracking number

Yesterday, tracking shows that my percel had arrived. I immediatly went outside, but no parcel. There were supposedly two parcels delivered, and one was in my mailbox. There was a 23 minute discrepancy between the two delivery times on the tracking. I called my local post office and she told me that the tracking number for the missing parcel was actually addressed to someone else and delivered there. I was sent someone else's tracking number. I opened a case this morning (I haven't heard from the seller)  I sent a note to them yesterday.

Would it be in my best interests to leave negative feedback now, which I could remove once this is resolved? It worries me that tracking shows "This item has been delivered" and ebey usually takes that to mean case closed. I believe that either I was scammed by the seller, or the seller was scammed by his agent, In any event, I want my item or a refund.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: seller sent false tracking number

Get a letter from your PO stating that the package with that tracking number was addressed to someone else.

File mail fraud and a police report.

Then use those 3 items to appeal the case if needed.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I opened a case this morning...

@yagyujubei 

If you filed an eBay case for INR (item not received) you are going to lose.  The system is automated and a "delivered" scan is all that counts.  It is a popular scam to send some cheap item to another address and use the delivery confirmation information to counter an INR claim made by the buyer.  

Get the written documentation from the Post Office stating the tracked package was not intended for you.  You don't need to know where the parcel was delivered.  You will need this for an eBay appeal (best accomplished through their social media portals), OR if you should decided to file with PayPal (if you paid that way) or with your credit card.    Otherwise, eBay will respond with the same notice of delivered and you will lose there as well. 

eBay's first line is to deny and deflect and hope you go away. It saves them some money if that happens.  It is one of those things that 'everybody involved' knows what is going on, but they are counting on the fact that you don't, and will just give up. Scammers "know" too, and that is why it is quite successful.  

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I would walk into the post office with tracking number and ask clerk who is the person who received my package. You should have gotten a number of tracking emails before package arrived. I always get a lot of emails as to when package is coming and then delivered. My tracking numbers uses my email address and not someone else's. Politely and businesslike ask the seller what has happened.

I would wait for an answer from the seller before leaving negative feedback.

And be careful how you word the negative feedback....eBay or the seller can have it removed if you use certain words or wordage. Words like: "thief, robber, fake" and ssh on.

Give the seller and the post office a chance first.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Make sure all documents from USPS are on official USPS letterhead. That is very important.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

UPDATE: I just returned from my local post office with a letter from the postmaster. It basically says thaT THIS TRACKING IS ASSOCIATED WITH A DIFFERENT CUSTOMERS ACCOUNT. tHE PARCEL DELIVERED WEIGHED 1 POUND 1 OUNCE, AND NOT THE 20 POUNDS MINE WOULD WEIGH.  Said to contact seller to verify tracking number. Also said I could file a fraud report  with US Postal Inspection Services , I took a picture of the Postmaster's letter and sent it to the seller. Since there was nowhere to upload it to my request, I had customer service call me, and she assured me that the letter would be part of the  request. Now I have to wait a week before I get any answer.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Since you were unable to upload the letter to your eBay request, how can the letter be part of the request? Am I missing something here?  

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I added into the request a note to the seller saying that I had sent a copy of the letter to him, but that I couldn't add it into the request. When I called customer service, she assured me that the letter would be part of the request.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I just transcribed the text of the postmaster's letter into the request iust to be safe.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Ask the post office/mail carrier if they would relay a note to the person who got the package, explaining the situation and asking them to please contact you.

if you can work with that other person, It could lead to the scammer being hit with a lot heavier wallop, lol!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@yagyujubei,

When you first file an item not received (INR) dispute you will not be able to add your note to the dispute.  Because there is tracking with a Delivered scan, eBay's automated INR system will deny your claim because all it is able to do is search the tracking info for a Delivered scan. They cannot get any label or package information, because they are neither the sender or recipient.

You will get a message telling you that you lost the dispute, but it has an appeal button in it. When you appeal the dispute, there will be a way to upload a clear photo or scan of the USPS note. Appeals are handled by a real person not a computer, and the note will be enough to overturn the original decision, so they you get a refund.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Seller has contacted me. says sorry for inconvenience and asks for some time to resolve this. So we shall see.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@yagyujubei wrote:

Seller has contacted me. says sorry for inconvenience and asks for some time to resolve this. So we shall see.

You're talking to a scammer, why?

They will only try to run out the clock for your MBG.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

And, when eBay robots deny your dispute and appeal and buyers protection claim, you will not be able to leave negative feedback to warn others as eBay wants to protect them.  If you start filing claims with credit card companys and Paypal, this will close all eBay case issues, so do so with fair warning, but you will not, IMO, get satisfaction from eBay.  Start looking at credit card, Paypal, who you paid with, perhaps filing a claim

with post office, etc.  Isn't buying on eBay fun?  You are dealing with a scammer, IMO, and, unfortunately, eBay knows this as well.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@yagyujubei wrote:

So we shall see??? Your scammer is trying to find another tracking number that weighs 20 pounds, to upload that instead -- eBay allows them to provide a corrected tracking number for the case, so they will win.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply