cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"BEST OFFERS" IGNORED !!

It should be a breach of ebay's policies and 'contract' of a seller who advertises for a best offer and then doesn't even acknowledge one !! That seems fraudulent to me. Certainly it is unethical & I won't shop with a seller who does that

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: "BEST OFFERS" IGNORED !!

Courtesy can go a long way, in business or daily life…many people can’t comprehend this..🥂

Message 91 of 107
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

The exact text from ebay's   "make an offer query" is:   Best Offer lets you offer the seller a price you’re willing to pay for the item. The seller can accept, reject, or counter your offer by suggesting another price.  "IGNORE"  is NOT listed as a seller option here. Ignore is simply a seller made up reason for not replying in  a courteous and timely manner.

Actually it's an option given by eBay.  

"After receiving an offer, you have 24 hours to choose how to respond. You can:

Accept the Best Offer and end the listing

Respond with a counteroffer

Let the offer expire. This will happen automatically after 24 hours or when the listing ends, whichever comes first

Decline the offer"

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 92 of 107
latest reply

you can set the price of the minimum you will accept for offers. I'm not sure what the possible buyer sees when they send one below that minimum.

Message 93 of 107
latest reply

Why then does ebay NOT inform the buyer of this "ignore" option of you letting the offer expire that you say  they tell (ONLY)  sellers about ???????? All they tell buyers that you can do  is: accept, counter, or decline our offers.  Kind of one-sided favoritism at work that I would need someone to cut and copy a response directly from ebay policy for sellers for me to actually believe your statement that they put that in writing anywhere!

Message 94 of 107
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess  posted it above and here is the source where it specifically says a seller can let it expire:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/adding-best-offer-listing-using-reply-offer?id=4144

After receiving an offer, you have 24 hours to choose how to respond. You can:

• Accept the Best Offer and end the listing
  • Respond with a counteroffer
  • Let the offer expire. This will happen automatically after 24 hours or when the listing ends, whichever comes first
  • Decline the offer

By the way it took like two seconds to google the text that had been posted upthread and find the source.

Anyone who didn't believe could have fact checked it themselves.

Message 95 of 107
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

Why then does ebay NOT inform the buyer of this "ignore" option of you letting the offer expire that you say  they tell (ONLY)  sellers about ???????? All they tell buyers that you can do  is: accept, counter, or decline our offers.  Kind of one-sided favoritism at work that I would need someone to cut and copy a response directly from ebay policy for sellers for me to actually believe your statement that they put that in writing anywhere!

If you actually ever sold anything on eBay, you'd quickly find out that there IS very strong favoritism, but it is in favor of the buyer, not the seller. And I am predominantly a buyer on eBay, not a seller (about 90 percent of my account activity over the near 20 years I've been on eBay has been as a buyer). I've just walked a little in a sellers shoes.

I've made many, many offers on eBay and it's always told me that the seller has 24 hours to respond. That implies that if they do not respond within 24 hours, the offer expires.

Message 96 of 107
latest reply

"Actually the responses to my post have been just as disturbing as my feelings against not hearing back on an offer. "

Your posts do seem to indicate that you are easily 'disturbed'.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 97 of 107
latest reply

Also on the buyers page about offers. 

"If they don’t respond to you in that time, or if the listing ends before they respond, then your offer expires.

If the seller responds, they may:"

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 98 of 107
latest reply

@msha3839 wrote:

Many times sellers not responding to offers that 5-10% lower than asking price on items that worth $$$…and this is in case of collectibles that have extremely limited buyer segment…p.s.in some cases the sellers whom ignored my offers, respond a few days/weeks later willing to accept my it,only to realize that they are late …being a good seller takes more than selling and shipping merchandise..🍸

I guess you showed them! You're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Isn't that what you're here for? To find sellers with what you want to buy? Do you realize that offers are only good for 24-48 hours and not every seller is available to respond within the timeframe? 

As I posted to @aben7154 in post #  51 (and I'll C&P) since the same applies to you: 

"This is my own opinion, but I find it offensive when buyers who have never listed a single item and have no clue of what's involved in being a good seller to think it's their right to tell sellers how to run their businesses, how to price their items, how and when to respond to offers, how "unprofessional" or "rude" they are if they don't respond in such-and-such a way, etc. 

@aben7154 

Get a few listings and sales under your belt, accumulate a few feedbacks as a seller, deal with buyers who make offers whether or not you have an offer option in your listing, find a few ghost listings sell on items that haven't been listed in ages, deal with default options that ebay adds to your listings that you never intended to opt in to, work with buyers on a few NAD claims, deal with NPBs because you didn't have IPR for payments, etc. 

Then come back and tell us how sellers should behave."

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 99 of 107
latest reply

That’s the difference between you and me..24/ 48 hours is a long long time, especially in the business…something that you have a lot to learn about…🥂

Message 100 of 107
latest reply

"That’s the difference between you and me..24/ 48 hours is a long long time, especially in the business…something that you have a lot to learn about…:

You really have no idea about Albertas 'business' because she is using a posting id, and has been selling here for a long,long time,longer than you actually, and is a well respected member on the boards.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 101 of 107
latest reply

I tutored undergrad classmen in college English back in the day and graded papers of incoming freshman students.  To me,  the fact that an offer is allowed to "expire" IMPLIES that the seller ignored it for the duration, most likely as an intentional act.

Message 102 of 107
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

I tutored undergrad classmen in college English back in the day and graded papers of incoming freshman students.  To me,  the fact that an offer is allowed to "expire" IMPLIES that the seller ignored it for the duration, most likely as an intentional act.

I was a professional editor for 35+ years. As such I knew better than to think anyone can assume the mental state of a human being through his or her personal definition of one word. 

Message 103 of 107
latest reply

And? Prior to my retirement, I employed a few dozen people in my business dealing with sales and the revenue in millions..run business for 30 years and never expected to be respected except by my customers and employees…eBay forum does not an indication of someone being successful…🥂

Message 104 of 107
latest reply

"Ebay forum does not an indication of someone being successful…"

No, but managing a long range,very successful Ebay business does..your previous remark was uncalled for.

Message 105 of 107
latest reply