cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i got scammed, How long does it take for ebay steps in and refund me?

the seller isnt going to willfully refund me, let me first start off by stating that. i got scammed, bad. i ordered a ps2 slim from someone with a rather suspicious name and no seller feedback against my better judgment, but it was just to good to pass by! they spoke to me fine until the item was shipped out even, then radio silence.. even now well into my case for a return. to make a rather long story short, it was a brick and didnt work at all, like all was frozen in place and it was oddly three times lighter! than my replacement from the pawn shop. the last message i received from him was "no returns." after i explained in detail what was wrong right out of the box, within 2 hours..but of course you dont accept returns *sigh* well its been over a week now w silence and he still wont say anything in return and i had to ask ebay to step in and help in my case. well its been a day since my package was delivered and nothing, fully expected! my question is, how long does this horrible person have until ebay will step in and refund me? i heard 48 hours, or 6 days? im not sure and id really love to know before i go sit on hold. thank you!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: i got scammed, How long does it take for ebay steps in and refund me?

From this eBay help page entitled "Return an item for a refund:"

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

Get your refund

Once the seller receives the item back from you, or once they've agreed to refund you and let you keep the item, they have 2 business days to issue your refund. When they do, you'll receive an email letting you know.

It usually takes 3 to 5 business days for a PayPal refund to go through. If you paid with a credit card, it may take up to 30 days to process, depending on your card provider.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Why did you make the purchase "...against my better judgement?"

If the item you received was not as described, you need to request a return using the not as describe reason. The seller is then responsible for the return shipping.  Did you do that?

I believe the seller has three days to respond to the request before you can ask eBay to step in.  However, if memory serves, you have to ask.  It is not automatic. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

From this eBay help page entitled "Return an item for a refund:"

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

Get your refund

Once the seller receives the item back from you, or once they've agreed to refund you and let you keep the item, they have 2 business days to issue your refund. When they do, you'll receive an email letting you know.

It usually takes 3 to 5 business days for a PayPal refund to go through. If you paid with a credit card, it may take up to 30 days to process, depending on your card provider.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

yes ive already asked ebay to step in and help as i said in my post. im wondering how long ebay has to wait before they can refund me bc the seller is refusing to do anything and they got my package today.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It appears that you're also a seller so I'm surprised that you aren't more familiar with the MBG procedure.  Of course, I'm also surprised by your bid retraction record as well.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

thank you!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@sprinkles91 wrote:

yes ive already asked ebay to step in and help as i said in my post. im wondering how long ebay has to wait before they can refund me bc the seller is refusing to do anything and they got my package today.

If the seller received your return today, I believe that they have 5 or 6 business days in which to refund your money.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

...how can you see my bid retraction record? i thought that was personal for ebay only. and i have borderline personality dissorder, so please do not judge me. i make spir of the moment harsh decisions without my own control, often when i am stressed or tired and its never hurt anyone but me so please.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

not a seller, just a buyer i enjoy buying things it helps my depression and anxiety at night.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You're trying to get eBay to step in too early.  The seller has two business days to refund.   If they don't refund by midnight Wednesday then you ask eBay to step in.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

ok thank you:)

---end of topic, do not reply---

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@sprinkles91 wrote:

...how can you see my bid retraction record? i thought that was personal for ebay only. and i have borderline personality dissorder, so please do not judge me. i make spir of the moment harsh decisions without my own control, often when i am stressed or tired and its never hurt anyone but me so please.

One's bid retraction record for the prior 12 month period is visible to all that view your feedback as a buyer page.  It does not elaborate on the reasons you gave for the retraction.  It only gives the number that you have made in the past 12 months.

You could probably keep people from seeing it by setting you feedback to private but you are not permitted to sell with it set that way.  Of course, there are quite a few sellers that block buyers with their feedback set to private.  However, I block bidder's with more than one retraction showing so with 30, it wouldn't matter if you were blocked for having excessive retractions or your feedback set to private in my opinion.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@sprinkles91 wrote:

not a seller, just a buyer i enjoy buying things it helps my depression and anxiety at night.

Interesting!  I wonder how your feedback got to be below 100% then.

Oh!  I see that you have changed your feedback to PRIVATE.  That is very interesting as well.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply