cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraudulent seller and ebay won't help

I was interested in trying a putter from seller   Before clicking purchase, I checked to see what the return policy was and read "30 day hassle free returns."   I would never buy a golf club without being able to return it.  Assured that it was returnable, I clicked buy.  I got an immediate confirmation which added this phrase: "Item cannot be returned."   Because this was a gross violation of my expectations, I thought about it clicked the cancel button and told that it was "too late to cancel."  (What's  the use of a cancel button if it is too late to use it once the item is purchased.).  The message also directed me to "try to work out something with the seller."  I have written two messages to the seller and the seller has failed to respond in over 36 hours. (nice that they give buyer no time to cancel, but seller can't respond in over 40 hours.)   I have tried to contact Ebay to get help and all I get is an automated response that I have to contact the seller.  How can I contact Ebay to get help and get through their roadblock that keeps sending back to the non-responsive seller?  I am 80 years old and beginning to feel like an easy mark for an unscrupulous seller who is committing fraud by adding phony non-return policies.  Ebay is aiding and abetting this scam. how can I get help?  Time is of the essence, I want to get this resolved before the item is shipped or the problem gets worse.  HELP.  Thanks

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: fraudulent seller and ebay won't help

Items purchased state what the return policy is (so what is the 12 digit item number?) 

Ebay offers a 30 Day MBG (which means you are 'guaranteed' to recieve EXACTLY what you purchased- and the 30 Day MBG kicks in when you a.) don't receive it b.) receive a bowl of rocks when  you bought a hammer. 

Other than the above, the 'return policy' is EXACTLY what is written on the listing. 

Buyers can only REQUEST cancellation but Sellers are NOT obligated to do so (because many have a warehouse where items are pulled and immediately processed for shipping (does NOT mean immediately shipped, means 'processed' (paper trail started to have item pulled, put on a conveyor to the shipping dept etc etc.) 

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Returning something and Canceling something are two different things.

You must have an item to return it.

Sellers are not required to cancel. 

It is Saturday. Not all small businesses are hovering around on Saturday to cancel orders.

Hopefully the seller will be able to cancel and avoid some extra expenses because of your indecision. 

Sometimes it is better to purchase items in person and not online. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

I got an immediate confirmation which added this phrase: "Item cannot be returned." 

@eclectic101g 

That is odd.  It seems to be contrary to the listing itself.  Since without you volunteering the item number, nobody here can see what you bought to check out the listing and offer advice. 

Does the listing display the Money Back Guarantee?  or is their tiny print saying it is not covered by the policy (for this look at the bottom of the section that displays the credit card logos)?   

Be advised that BUYERS cannot cancel an order.  They can only ask the seller to do so, and they don't have to.  In that situation in general, a buyer would have to wait for delivery, select to return the item if not as described, or file the protocol if an item is not delivered by the last estimated delivery date. 

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for your help. The problem is that the seller ADDED the "no returns" policy AFTER  I made the purchase.  In legal terms, this is FRAUD.  It is not enforceable period. I am trying to avoid the expense of useless shipping but the seller is not responding.  The seller had Thursday night and Friday as well as Saturday to respond and is silent.  I did see that ebay says I have to wait 3 business days to get help from them.  That does not solve that problem of item that I don't want be shipped to me.  

Your suggestion that I  deal with merchants is a good one with regard to ebay. I have had long and positive dealings with reputable golf retailers on line without any problem.  It appears that the ebay sellers include unscrupulous scammers and this experience makes me feel as you suggest that I never deal with anyone on ebay ever again,  

I do however want to be able to warn other shoppers that the seller I dealt with is one to avoid.  His site still claims to have 100% feedback even though it is clear that there are two negative feedbacks from me posted

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for your help.  If there was a return policy on the listing, I sure didn't see it and I was looking for it. I did go click back to the overall site and saw the "30 day hassle free returns"  posted and only then did I buy. As You can see from my second post, as far as I can determine, the no returns policy was added after the purchase.  That is not a legal part of the contract formed when I clicked buy.  Even ignoring that,  this seller is seeking to take advantage of an 80 year old man who was at best accidentally misled.  I get it about it may be a small business. But when they post 100% positive feedback, I at least expect a timely answer.  This thing may get shipped out without me ever getting a response.

Is there a way to see the alleged positive feedback from others?   

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

No, that is not possible to change the terms or anything in the listing after you made the purchase.

I think what you saw was eBay's 30 day guarantee in the top right corner of the  listing   and didn't  pay attention to the seller's  return policy below the shipping details.

The seller doesn't  have to accept returns for buyer's remorse.  

Please come back with the item number so it can be confirmed.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

You are asking the buyer to name and shame a seller and that's frowned upon by Ebay. 
@fab_finds4u wrote:

No, that is not possible to change the terms or anything in the listing after you made the purchase.

I think what you saw was eBay's 30 day guarantee in the top right corner of the  listing   and didn't  pay attention to the seller's  return policy below the shipping details.

The seller doesn't  have to accept returns for buyer's remorse.  

Please come back with the item number so it can be confirmed.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

@eclectic101g   Seller can NOT change anything on a listing after purchase.

The seller is NOT to blame here. You should never post a negative especially when you are wrong. 

Thanks for posting! Many sellers will be grateful!

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@safan80  Asking for a listing number is not "naming and shaming"

It is so people can help the poster.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for your helpful input. It is always possible I was mistaken, but I left the buy it screen to check and found a general policy of "no hassle 30 day returns."  It was only that that made me buy. It is possible I got shunted to another seller's site.  

I am surprised at the general tone of the responses being so accepting of the seller's prerogatives to refuse to cancel an order before it is shipped.  To me that is the action of predator who seeks to take advantage of vulnerable consumers.   Seller has suffered no loss until he ships. And the failure to cancel creates two unnecessary shipments as well as thoroughly antagonizing a buyer who will certainly share the experience with any unwary buyers.  Easy return policies are the norm in the online golf industry.  Any seller who does not have such a policy is a fly by night and not one I would knowingly deal with.  The problem is not that the item may not be as described, but that until I putt with it, I will not know if I want it.  That is why I would never ordered it if I even dreamed that this was the policy.  It may hyperbolic, but it is a little like a concert violinist ordering a  violin; it may be the model that was advertised, but it may not sound right. I have been golfing for 68 years and have been dealing with many online retailers who give good service that comports with my needs to try out a club and accommodate this by a liberal returns policy.  I just got to the wrong retailer.  My sympathies are not with the seller.  

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

We live in different realities.  I have been dealing with online golf retailers for decades. This is the worst experience I have even had with one.  I was brought up with the accurate statement that one dissatisfied customer costs you 10 potential  customers.  This seller has not even attempted to respond or rectify the situation. I am VERY DISSATISFIED  

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@eclectic101g 

Please post the item number so we can look at the listing. It'll be helpful for us to see how it was listed, what the return policy is and the category in which it was listed.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Ebay is not set up for buyers to "try something."   Golf clubs are pricey to ship. There are postal surcharges because the boxes are oversized. When you saw "hassle free returns" that does NOT mean free returns.  I am thinking that the seller will accept a return without a hassle if there is something wrong with the club.  Keep trying to contact him.  Hopefully, they will agree to cancel it.

The seller is NOT taking advantage of an 80 year person. He/she has no clue who will buy this item.  Hopefully, it works out for you.  Be aware, that if nothing is wrong and you want to return this item, you will have to pay the return shipping back to the seller and it will be pricey.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I can explain human decency, but I don't think you can understand it.  Being  condescending is really not a helpful mode of communication.  

Message 15 of 33
latest reply